Lets get WoW back to it's roots!

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 26 Next
Screw world PVP.

Bring back Alterac 1.0. But make honor accumulations start at 15 minutes in and collect every minute beyond that on top of your kills, captures, etc. etc.

You can drop and be replaced after 15 minutes if you so want.

I just designed the most popular BG in history.

Arranged PvP is boring, it is not World-PvP, stick to PvE. Every1 hates AV.

Tons of people love AV.

We're with you on the idea of getting people engaged in PvP again within the world. As I've said previously though, we have to be careful about how we do that. We'll hopefully have more information for you all on what we have planned that will assuage some fears of those who aren't very PvP passionate, while (hopefully) still making PvP compelling for those who do love taking part. (Raises her hand) While we have many players who enjoy PvP, we have a larger contingent that enjoys PvE more. That makes maintaining balance between the concepts a bit more challenging, but we love challenges.

As far as the story goes, we've talked a bit about that and what's coming is twofold. War is coming to Pandaria, which (while it's had its strife in the past) is largely a peaceful region of Azeroth. That's going to change as the Horde and Alliance start stirring up the dust of the past. Beyond what happens in Pandaria, the Horde and Alliance will be at each others' throats once more. We've mentioned it many times before, but we really do feel that the "war" of Warcraft is going to be featured a bit more prominently in the story. It may not necessarily translate to all out chaos in a direct PvP way, but it will definitely be seen playing out in the storyline itself.

Again, we'll try to bring you more information specifically about the PvP end of our plans (more detail of what was heard from the press event) and get everyone caught up to speed on what we hope this will mean going forward.

I appreciate the post, and eagerly await "more news".

However, I ask you to relay to the designers the most important incentive to PvP of them all: the game play. It is one thing to add objectives and incentives. But if the basic game play is poor, you will continue to see PvP participation dwindle no matter how big a carrot you offer.

For example I created a thread which is highly rated and over 20 pages long, filled mostly with unilateral agreement and endorsement. That's somewhat rare in these parts as you no-doubt know, especially when it comes to a topic as contentious as PvP.

I don't know if the rules of these forums permit me to crosslink, but it is titled "Time to Take PvP Seriously". I hope that the designers will look at it. It outlines ways to substantially improve PvP that would be embraced by a majority of the community, with little to no impact on PvE whatsoever. All I ask for is common-sense improvement to basic game mechanics. I know Ghostcrawler can do this if he simply decides / is given permission / is motivated to do so.

Thank you.
To be honest I would love for the game to return to it's roots, aka World PvP, big massive raids that take at least all week to clear up to a certain point when starting (see the old raids of 40 mans) But since this is about world PvP what we need is none of this phasing when it comes to world pvp.

The old AV was close to what this game had to a battle ground that could last for hours and even a day. Those who weren't here in those days have no idea what the battle grounds were like. To be honest, Battlegrounds weren't even part of WoW in it's launch, it was all world PvP.

In TBC I thought Halaa was a good world pvp site but after that it seemed everything went down hill from that point. I ended up playing warhammer between TBC ending and before wrath started which struck me as odd how Wintergrasp played out was almost similar to sieges between the 2 games. Anyways not to get off track, but really what world pvp needs is a place (a seperate land mass) that auto flags players and the goal would be to kill each other for the enjoyment just like how old battles of TM and SS were before the BGs. Let the players determin what gose on by claiming forts, towns from each other (not letting a pve story tell the player base "Sorry you lost now deal with it")with rewards such as rare gear sets items, mounts, ect ect ect.
The tauren and dwarf fighting scene will always be the iconic feature of this trailer. love it!
Ya
bring it back.
I thought MMO meant massive multiple online role playing game. not seeing pve in there hmm.
and viewed world warcraft as pvp role playing as opposite factions, different views indeed.

I am confused, where in there does it say anything about PvP? it doesn't, all it says is MMO, meaning you interact with players, doesn't say anything about killing them, and RPG, meaning it is a role playing game. generally RPG has fantasy elements of a PvE nature, so it would point more towards PvE, but it is still doesn't say either way. All it says is you interract with other people, and that it is not a first person shooter or racing game, it is an RPG focusing on lore and the story.

Yes orc v human is part of the lore, but there is much more lore than that
05/03/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Luxxinterior
Also, why does war exclusively mean PvP?

The war between the horde and alliance shouldn't involve pvp? or did i miss the joke?

Hey lets make the entire war through quests. Ill go steal 20 rocks from a alliance npc and you can steal 20 scissors from a horde npc,,, yea thats war'ish

War involves Officers sending Soldiers off to complete assignments. Dang if that doesn't sound like an NPC sending someone off to do quests.

Now 1v1 PvP is more like a mugger sneaking around looking for someone weaker, and unequipped, to beat on.
If any pvp inclusion doesn't include balancing for population imbalances keep it the heck outa PVE and keep ALL of the rewards to the pvp side of the game, as in literally zero benefit to PVE players. PLEASE tell me you learned from wintergrasp.

Outside of that one huge concern, sure bring on the pvp stuff, I'll most likely ignore it unless it's really entertaining. Force me to participate in a broken pvp system to maximize my character in PVE (again) and I'll be one pissed customer.
WoW is very much mechanical in 2012. You log in, you queue for your dungeon/battleground/raid, you collect loot, you log out. In more socially oriented settings, you log on at a specific time for your arena matches and queue or you are invited to your raid group and get summoned to an instance.

Is the magic gone? Quite a bit, but not entirely. Pandaria as an environment will seem pretty cool as you're exploring it for the first time and maybe even the second on a different character. That sense of wonder will fade, as it does with all virtual environments. It's certainly not unique to WoW.

What's concerning in particular is the longevity and sustainability of these new environments. These days, no one goes to the Twilight Highlands at all unless you're level 84. As soon as you're 85, you leave and never return. The zone is simply a vehicle to boost you to a level cap. Beyond professions and picking up a particular helm enchant, most people feel that there are no actual *fun* incentives to go beyond the walls of their capital city.

The cat's out of the bag though in terms of queuing systems. Blizzard has stated repeatedly that they have yet-to-be-revealed plans on how to convince people to actually be active in the outside world, and while I try to remain hopeful, I still feel fairly skeptical. We heard this for Cataclysm and were rewarded from the start with portals to all new zones for easy transport and shorter Hearthstone cooldowns for quickly returning to Stormwind or Orgrimmar.

How long can they sustain the same sense of exploration and personal interest in Pandaria beyond "level to 90" is still up in the air. Hopefully it succeeds. I often feel sad for all of the design artists and developers who put a great deal of work into creating a unique and awesome environment only for it to go largely ignored or vastly unappreciated by players.
Ya
bring it back.
I thought MMO meant massive multiple online role playing game. not seeing pve in there hmm.
and viewed world warcraft as pvp role playing as opposite factions, different views indeed.

I am confused, where in there does it say anything about PvP? it doesn't, all it says is MMO, meaning you interact with players, doesn't say anything about killing them, and RPG, meaning it is a role playing game. generally RPG has fantasy elements of a PvE nature, so it would point more towards PvE, but it is still doesn't say either way. All it says is you interract with other people, and that it is not a first person shooter or racing game, it is an RPG focusing on lore and the story.

Yes orc v human is part of the lore, but there is much more lore than that

Again watch the opening cinematic from original wow and tell me what you see. Then tell me you think was at the heart of that... If the opening Cinematic does not give you the "flavor" of that game, then what does?
05/03/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Musulungo
See WarCraft.

The war between the horde and alliance shouldn't involve pvp? or did i miss the joke?

Hey lets make the entire war through quests. Ill go steal 20 rocks from a alliance npc and you can steal 20 scissors from a horde npc,,, yea thats war'ish

Yeah, I completely forgot how Warcraft, Warcraft II, and Warcraft III stories were told entirely through Player versus Player experiences and you never fought NPCs or partook in quests that did things for NPCs or fought enemies that were NPCs...

Oh wait... that's entirely how the story was made. All of Warcraft game history has been a PvE game with PvP elements mixed in and available. I just finished the Culling of Stratholme campaign again in Warcraft III during server maintenance a couple weeks ago, and as it turns out, I picked up the quests from an NPC, and the enemies I fought the entire time were NPCs, and not even Horde or Alliance related (unless you include the infected townsfolk I had to kill after destroying a home).

The game itself tells the story of the WARcraft between Horde and Alliance (regardless of if you think the biased toward one or the other). The PvP aspect playing in to the story line is a relatively (i.e. since WoW created PvP servers) aspect. Before, the only way to have PvP was to have "matches" that had nothing to do with the storyline.

To touch on what others have said about the PvP / PvE server differences: I LOVE LOVE LOVE world PvP (I'm awful at PvP, but I love world pvp regardless)... but for myself it was one too many times of not being able to even quest because I was getting camped by someone 30 levels higher than me... I never minded being ganked, running back to my body and continuing on... I never minded when someone near my level would attack me (even when I was surrounded by mobs and I'd die)... but I did mind being camped with no way to do anything but log out and hop on an alt for a long while. I would love to go back to a pvp server if there was something in place to help lowbies (and I'm even talking things like level 80's against 85s, etc) not have their gaming experience destroyed because someone has to flash their epeen around and camp gank them.