Why is Wow's in-game music so terrible?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
I honestly would like to see the percentage of players that actually have in-game music enabled while they play World of Warcraft. Having played the game since launch, the only song I can recall off the top of my head that was incredible and atmospheric was the one that plays during the fight with Ragnaros (Molten Core).

Other than that, it's the same recycled bg/capital/login music, and most of it holds a tone and tempo that would put most gamers to sleep. Why doesn't Blizzard give any real attention to this part of the game in each expansion? If you want to really immerse gamers in the world and instill long-lasting nostalgia, you would be focusing more on this aspect of the game, which I'm sure many find severely lacking.

Thank you.

Edit:

Thank you for the link. It looks like I'm in the minority, but at the start of each expansion I've always turned on the in-game music to hear everything that's new and by the time I hit the cap I haven't run into anything worth listening to.

I love video game music, with Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre having some of my favorite tracks of all time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR3jOBklsJ8 for example), along with Streets of Rage 2/River City Ransom, but I never feel that same connection with any of the music in WoW besides that one Molten Core song that struck a cord.

I'll have to play some more with the music back on, but this an opinion that is 6+ years in the making.

Edit 2:

Sorry I do not care for Dubstep, although I do listen to a lot of different genres. If you want a recent game as an example of a soundtrack that has sucked me in, check out Xenoblade Chronicles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY&feature=relmfu).

So having read through the comments here, I wonder if Blizzard has ever thought of composing sets of "battle" music for when you are in combat? Something more "epic" feeling than the typical ambiance heard while traveling through a zone or doing an instance?
Highly Rated
I love the WoW music.
05/04/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Demonwolf
I love the WoW music.
I think the OP is on drugs.
What? Some music is great

I keep my music on just in case I ever have to go back to Sholozar, Crystalsong or Wintergrasp. Best music was all from Wrath though
Why is Wow's in-game music so terrible?

It's not.
Did, did you just call the game music terrible?
I love the WoW music.

And nice guild name.

edit: I'm waiting for the OP to mention "OMG MAKE IT MOAR LIKE ONE WINGED ANGEL"
05/04/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Xynthia
I love the WoW music.
Because it's all recorded in some dude's 2 car garage.
I always have the music/in-game sound turned on.
05/04/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Encore
I love the WoW music.

And nice guild name.

I didn't do anything, I swear!

I'm not suspicious!
I love the WoW music.
Listen to Silithus, Howling Fjord (especially Howling Fjord), Duskwood, Forge of Souls, Wetlands, Grizzly Hills, mang there is most definitely some good songs. Some are a little annoying... like the original "barrens/mid Kalimdor" music. But still nostalgic and good.
05/04/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Demonwolf

And nice guild name.

I didn't do anything, I swear!

I'm not suspicious!

Haha, sorry, not you; the OP's guild name.

But you are suspicious.
05/04/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Morteques
i would like to set my own music for eacg region form my list of songs (mp3's)

Albums would be better. But rammstein's Album Reise Reise would be set to icecrown.
05/04/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Encore
OMG MAKE IT MOAR LIKE ONE WINGED ANGEL

I actually like that song, there's nothing wrong with it.

It's the fanboys of Sephiroth you should lash at.
I have the music enabled and on loop.

Some of the music I don't like and the music you hear in human inns and on human boats drives up the wall. I hate it and always have. And I honestly don't like the music in Dal.

There are also places with really good music. I really like the music for SW (and Theramore since it's the same music), some of the music in NE areas which I actually have stuck in my head and especially Storm Peaks.

I also enjoy the music in a lot of the raids - ICC (my all time fav), Ulduar, and Kara all have great music that enhances the mood and feel of the raid.

For me a lot of music is good if not excellent and fits into the area well. Yeah sometimes I find it too much like elevator music and almost pass out listening to it while questing and farming in certain areas. On my lock, some zones that I was working in to get quest achieves I ended up having to start up outside music to make it less boring.

People like different things. A lot of people probably like music in game that I hate and love music I can't stand. Just because you don't like something shouldn't make you automatically think that everyone hates it too, or that there's something wrong with people who do like it. Geez, I like a wide array of music from NIN to Tori Amos to Perfect Circle with old school Johnny Cash thrown in for good measure. I'm not offended when people don't like those groups.