Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
The DVD drive is SATA drive.

You do not need to buy another DVD drive then
alright save me 16 buck wohoo lol thanks buddy
Kalganized-

This may seem like a silly question, but the room I game in doesn't have an ethernet plug. If I wanted it to connect to the wireless internet, I'd have to buy a wireless card, right?
This is what it does in WoW. It's much worse here than in other games. The glitches level out with the terrain so I think it might be a VRAM issue. My character isn't affected.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/cardissue2.png/

That might drive me nuts by the end of the night. It's no where near as annoying in other games.
Yeah, if you have a desktop computer, most of them don't have any wireless adapter included. You will need to buy an wireless adapter (either internal, or USB stick) for it.

Aeox:

Did you get to test with your friend's?
Yes I did. It did the same thing on his computer. I noticed the issue is alleviated a tiny bit when I reduce settings, especially texture resolutions.
That with your power supply right? Did you try taking his graphics card and testing it with your power supply?

I would strongly recommend you take that card, and test it on a machine with a good capable power supply. I want to clearly eliminate the power supply being a problem.

Using a different graphics card (preferably of something of similar power) to test it on YOUR computer would also clearly eliminate (or find) the motherboard being bad.
Alright, so as this was the first build I ever put together, I just wanted to make sure it all works together, just in case I mixed up the requirements for this that and the other thing;

• Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500
  • Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Graphics Card: Galaxy 56NGH6HS3KXZ GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
  • RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
  • Hard Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721050DLE630 (0F13178) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Plus a random keyboard, mouse, monitor, DVD drive and wireless adapter. Oh and Windows.

Am I forgetting any pieces? That's all I need to build the computer, right? It'll all plug in together properly?
I did test his card in my computer. It had no issues. I honestly doubt it's the PSU as I RMA'd it before thinking it was the issue. I'm going to RMA this card, and if it has issues with the next one I'll definitely take it to the local shop then. I don't have any other cards or PSU's of similiar power lying around =\.
Arianord:

Motherboard? I don't see it.

I'd get a DDR3-1600 with an i5 system.

I assume you are using a headset or speakers.

Otherwise, it looks all good.
Arianord:

Motherboard? I don't see it.

I'd get a DDR3-1600 with an i5 system.

I assume you are using a headset or speakers.

Otherwise, it looks all good.

Whoops, glossed right over it. An ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.

What benefit does DDR3-1600 give?
I don't know if the motherboard version you will get already has the latest BIOS applied, which is required for proper functioning of Ivy Bridge CPU. The motherboard was recommended more or less for users who already have a cheap Sandy CPU.

If it is like anything I expect it to be, the system will function, but with locked clock or something, if using the older BIOS. Still enough to get the BIOS updater going, probably. But it may simply refuse to boot.

So you want to ensure, that if you are getting an Ivy Bridge setup right away with the ASRock H61 motherboard, that you get a version that has latest BIOS included. If you want to be safe and you want Ivy Bridge no matter what, upgrade to a Z77 motherboard.

Otherwise, i5-2300.
I don't know if the motherboard version you will get already has the latest BIOS applied, which is required for proper functioning of Ivy Bridge CPU. The motherboard was recommended more or less for users who already have a cheap Sandy CPU.

If it is like anything I expect it to be, the system will function, but with locked clock or something, if using the older BIOS. Still enough to get the BIOS updater going, probably. But it may simply refuse to boot.

So you want to ensure, that if you are getting an Ivy Bridge setup right away with the ASRock H61 motherboard, that you get a version that has latest BIOS included. If you want to be safe and you want Ivy Bridge no matter what, upgrade to a Z77 motherboard.

Otherwise, i5-2300.

Would any Z77 do?
Yeah. Any Z77, like the ones I recommended.
Glitching finally decided to calm down in WoW. It's blending in like it does in other games, and it goes fairly long periods of time without actually doing it >.>
Aeox:

Man, your luck really sucks. :(

Get a used card. Turns out to be a dud.
Get a new RMA'd card. Also a dud.

:/
Yea. My luck with trinkets in WoW seems to suck as badly too. Not a single trinket for any of my healers. I've ran it every week since it came out, have had 3 trinkets drop. Lost every single one. The game likes to give me them for my offspecs though >.>
That would be a VRAM issue right?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/cardissue3.png/

LOL
So if I were to change the motherboard to the BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS, and the RAM to the Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), that would be more optimal?
Yeah, would go great with Ivy i5.

Pretty much, Aeox.