Teenagers in Warcraft

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
05/09/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Kelphi
don't judge us until you play with us.

^I think thats illegal in most states and canada D:
This is like talking to a brick wall.

But at least a brick wall will listen.

To be fair, you have not offered evidence or anecdotes proving these older people are less mature than you.
I think it really depends on what you're hoping to accomplish in WoW. Because if it's a boss kill you're after and the encounter requires coordinating the group's defensive cool downs, 60k+ single target burst dps, or avoiding deaths to mechanics, then bringing those who are unmotivated or incapable is far from ideal.

To this end I've found that counting the number of women or teenagers in a pug can also serve as an accurate litmus test for failure. If you really wanted to be efficient you'd discriminate from the get-go, but then the PC fanatics go crazy and wild with a protest backed solely by a disillusioned moral high ground.
05/09/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Snipër
I never said there are alot of immature teens playing. I said (if you had any reading comprehension skills) that the vast majority of teens playing are immature.

I don't know if it's just me, but, vast majority=a lot.
Our OT is a teen - great player!

Only issue is every now and then he pulls parent aggro and we have to cut our night short. Plus his stop time is pretty strict, so if we're close to a kill and want to get a couple extra pulls in we can't.

Only other thing is people are more careful with their language when he's on, some people don't like to censor themselves I guess.
People as a whole are just terrible.

I really don't care how old anyone is. I just assume everyone is stupid, useless, and irritating until they prove otherwise.
I think it really depends on what you're hoping to accomplish in WoW. Because if it's a boss kill you're after and the encounter requires coordinating the group's defensive cool downs, 60k+ single target burst dps, or avoiding deaths to mechanics, then bringing those who are unmotivated or incapable is far from ideal.

To this end I've found that counting the number of women or teenagers in a pug can also serve as an accurate litmus test for failure. If you really wanted to be efficient you'd discriminate from the get-go, but then the PC fanatics go crazy and wild with a protest backed solely by a disillusioned moral high ground.

I know teenagers who can do all those things you listed above in a raid.
Yup definitely trolling.

5/10 because you had me for a while.

Ok, well I am done then. You definitely help reinforce my arguments about teenagers and young adults not being mature.

For everyone els just remember that teens and young adults might be immature, but that does not mean they are not polite, well mannered, and generally fun to be around. Maturity has more to due with decision making and responsibilities of life.

@Natasatch,

You are correct. I do apologize I miss typed what I was thinking. I ment to say all and not alot. Thank you for pointing that out :p
I am 25, and I have an ex-friend only 3 or so years younger than me who I KNOW is THE MOST immature, inconsiderate, stupidest person I know. I'm SO glad she doesn't play WoW, because there's no way I could play with her.... -_- I could make a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG post about why I hate this girl, but I won't. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

This girl has the mentality of... a 10 year-old I guess? She has NO IDEA how the real world works, she thinks everyone in the whole world is great and can't do any wrong, she has NO formal education (she was homeschooled, but never finished because of her lazy-!@# attitude and her parents weren't much help either) so she won't EVER get a job unless she gets her GED (which i doubt she will). She has no consideration for others (she and her mother will be up to 3 hours late to go somewhere, and they don't give a s**t if they make others wait during that time), and she'll whine and b**ch like a child until she gets what she wants.

I'm going to stop here because I feel my blood pressure going up form the rage building, so yeah. I'm sure you can gather from that how I feel about her now. I no longer have any form of contact with her, and my life is SO much better without her. Especially when I go to Metrocon with my other friends and mom.
People are immature no matter their age.

However, having to go to bed early on a school night puts a damper on your raiding prospects. And it should.
I know plenty of people over 27 that are a lot more immature than I am, my dad included.

I know people who intentionally skip their jobs so they can raid. I know people who ignore their families to play on this game.

The fact of the matter is, age =/= maturity, nor will it ever be that way. If you're responsible and do what you should be doing, you're mature.

That and many people lead DOUBLE lives.

"Normal" by day......but add anonymity of the internet + audience =________
05/09/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Faustas
Also i used to fear the pitch of my voice in vent but now my voice is deepish and has a slight American Twang (I am Australian) from talking to my Guildys on vent. Yes i have developed vent-voice-itis.

Really? Your family notice it?

Never thought of us (in generally, but there are regionals) as twangy...
05/09/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Kelphi
It seems the moment I get on vent in a new guild, I start getting hate for being a teen.

Not quite. I have no problem playing with children, just please don't talk. Your voice is extremely annoying.
I will complain about kids all I want. They keep buying crap games (like these modern FPSs) so producers put out more crap games to get money. They also drive recklessly, have annoying voices, and are entitled little gits. All they want is eye candy and things to be easy. Where's the sense of challenge? What happened to the times when kids would take the three-heart bomb challenge?

Oh crap... when did I become my father?
Sorry to stereotype, but it is a fact that teenagers are immature. If you disagree then please read http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/work/onereason.html.

Teens are immature because their brain is immature. They think with a different part of the brain and use impulsive behavior more then rational thought. So I am sorry to burst the bubble, but you can google any study and it will show around the same result.

There are always exceptions. And thinking about it I would say that teens being immature is not a stereotype... it is more of a fact proven through science. All african american people being dangerous and from the ghetto is a stereotype, Latin Americans being all yard worker's is a stereotype. Teenagers acting immature... is not.

ONE MORE THING.......

Think about this:

Historically, when did a person come of age in different time periods?

I mean it seems to me the further you go back in history, the younger it was. People today have longer "childhoods" than in "ye olden tymes".

05/09/2012 10:56 PMPosted by Montinevra
It seems the moment I get on vent in a new guild, I start getting hate for being a teen.

Not quite. I have no problem playing with children, just please don't talk. Your voice is extremely annoying.

YES IT IS.
They... have annoying voices....

/highfive
I am in a vent social guild. We are all adults. We have been thru school and all have jobs and kids now. We don't don't have a lot in common to talk about. and most of us play WoW for escape. Its nothing against kids playing WoW, but for the social aspect of it, I don't want to watch my language and my topics when a kid is around. No offense, happy to take you on a pug, but not going to hang out with a kid. Sorry.
ONE MORE THING.......

Think about this:

Historically, when did a person come of age in different time periods?

I mean it seems to me the further you go back in history, the younger it was. People today have longer "childhoods" than in "ye olden tymes".

True that way back when children where considered "of age" when they where 13 and sometimes younger. The problem with that is science today has proven you are not fully developed until either 25 or 27 ( I see arguments for both cant tell wich is correct)
I give teenagers a chance, I don't judge people randomly. Like others have said, immaturity knows no age.

However, the minute I hear them on vent, I feel compelled to mute them.

I rarely meet a teenager whose voice does not irritate me, that or the attitude they sometimes have. If it's both, please get out of my vent and don't come back until you grow out of your "u mad? HURR DURR" phase.