To those who dislike prestige in WoW:

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
This game has to have some kind of prestige, that's what drives people to keep playing. Everyone having the same stuff is not very exciting, as much as certain players will cry and howl about it. There's a reason this game has been successful for so long, and that is one of the major reasons.

You may call players who appreciate prestige "unique snowflakes", you may get upset and forum rant about it, it matters not. Deciding that you want everything in the game or that prestige items are somehow owed to you is where the real sense of entitlement lies, no disrespect intended.

WoW isn't just about casual type players, nor is it just about hardcore or what you call "elitist" players, a balance must be maintained for this game to do well. There's a vital place in this game for prestige items, if we do away with the concept entirely it would be a phenomenal mistake.

Those who barely invest any time into properly learning this game or their class should not be rewarded. It's only fair, otherwise these items literally become "free handouts", and they immediately lose all value. I dislike the term "handout" in this game, but it is correct like it or not. The formula should be: a little bit of time, a little bit of effort, and a little bit of skill.

I know we all want those really nice items for our characters, but if they were just given to you without properly earning them you would become bored and perhaps unsubscribe. Just the truth.
There's no prestige in having won a random dice roll from some outdated raid that you 5-manned with a pug.
Is there something that you think is a handout right now? I don't see the point of your post. Is it just supposed to be informative?
I'm not sure which prestige items you're talking about.
05/14/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Reveries
Is there something that you think is a handout right now? I don't see the point of your post. Is it just supposed to be informative?

Wow, down boy! I've seen way too many "unique snowflake" posts here lately, and I felt the need to say something about it. No need to get angry or rude lol.
05/14/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Cubcakes
There's no prestige in having won a random dice roll from some outdated raid that you 5-manned with a pug.

WoW prestige is all about timing.
05/14/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Malicecooper
Wow, down boy! I've seen way too many "unique snowflake" posts here lately, and I felt the need to say something about it. No need to get angry or rude lol.

I'm sorry did I come off as angry or rude? Weird. I'm not I was just wondering your point. As I cant tell it from your post.
05/14/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Malicecooper

Asking an honest question is angry or rude?

I'm not sure anyone in this thread has come of as angry or rude, except the "down boy" line you made.
05/14/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Inorganico

I'm talking about prestige in general, not just items. :)

I'm noticing a trend where players just want everything in the game, and I'm merely arguing that everything in the game has to be earned.
We have heroics, world/server firsts, and arena rankings. What more should there be?
So you're saying that having the option to spend 20,000 gold on a rare item is receiving a free handout? Because that's pretty much what sparked this debate on special snowflakes. News flash: acquiring 20,000 gold requires a little bit of time + a little bit of effort + a little bit of skill. Saying that someone didn't earn an item because they bought it for 20k trivializes the effort that was involved in accumulating the in-game gold.

That having been said, I don't agree that a game is the place to "earn" prestige. You can't fight crime with this game. You can't feed the hungry with this game. You can't cure diseases with this game. You can't prevent wars with this game. About all you can do with this game is have fun. Getting a rare item in this game is not "prestigious." You're not "working" for anything in this game; you're playing for it. This talk of "lazy" players who feel "entitled" to "rewards" is pretty ironic when you consider that it's frequently used to criticize people who don't have the time or inclination to "industriously" play video games all day long. If you want prestige perform deeds that will benefit your fellow citizens. The kind of prestige you earn from that can't be nerfed or degenerated in any way.
05/14/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Malicecooper

I'm talking about prestige in general, not just items. :)

I'm noticing a trend where players just want everything in the game, and I'm merely arguing that everything in the game has to be earned.

I don't think I've seen this myself, would you mind citing a few examples?
05/14/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Malicecooper

So said players want these items for free? Or you just don't agree that the price they are willing to pay is = the value of the prestigious item.

I rarely see people want things for free but they want to be able to get them with what they have.

People have wanted items to be easier to obtain for the longest time. So again what prestigious item are you talking about in particular?
prestige is overrated.... It leads to elitism which leads to more of a destroyed community that WoW is......

I play WoW for fun not to gather prestige or to look down.... I do it to relax to alleviate a bad day etc... Not to be better than someone else.... I prefer the slow pace, earning my stuff
05/14/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Trixxis

Asking an honest question is angry or rude?

I'm not sure anyone in this thread has come of as angry or rude, except the "down boy" line you made.

If that was a genuine question, and you're sincerely confused as to what I'm talking about, then I apologize. It's pretty clear in my eyes, I don't believe it needs further explanation.
This game has to have some kind of prestige, that's what drives people to keep playing. Everyone having the same stuff is not very exciting, as much as certain players will cry and howl about it. There's a reason this game has been successful for so long, and that is one of the major reasons.

You may call players who appreciate prestige "unique snowflakes", you may get upset and forum rant about it, it matters not. Deciding that you want everything in the game or that prestige items are somehow owed to you is where the real sense of entitlement lies, no disrespect intended.

WoW isn't just about casual type players, nor is it just about hardcore or what you call "elitist" players, a balance must be maintained for this game to do well. There's a vital place in this game for prestige items, if we do away with the concept entirely it would be a phenomenal mistake.

Those who barely invest any time into properly learning this game or their class should not be rewarded. It's only fair, otherwise these items literally become "free handouts", and they immediately lose all value. I dislike the term "handout" in this game, but it is correct like it or not. The formula should be: a little bit of time, a little bit of effort, and a little bit of skill.

I know we all want those really nice items for our characters, but if they were just given to you without properly earning them you would become bored and perhaps unsubscribe. Just the truth.

So if I go start farming the Raven Lord mount tonight and it drops in the first run, do I get prestige? Or does it have to drop on the 163rd run? See, it won't be hard for me, at this level and with this equipment, to go back and farm that. It wouldn't even be that annoying travel wise because I can teleport to Shattrath. Or maybe the white hawkstrider thing from Heroic Magister's Terrace, would that be prestige? What about Rivendare's horse? I could have started farming that a long time ago.

I think the problem is that players expect to be recipients of prestige because of what they have equipped instead of how they treat people.

And lets be honest here. We're not talking about everyone on the server suddenly having every mount in the game.
My most prestigious ground mount isn't even my favorite/most used mount.

Most prestigious: Crimson Deathcharger.

Favorite: Mechano-Hog.

And, apparently, the baron mount technically has the most prestigious of all my mounts, and yet it only took my second run to see it drop, so I don't feel special or have a senseless amount of pride over having it.
My brother was an avid gamer......WoW made him quit. He was VERY avid. He played through wrath and quit. He probably would !@#$ on your doorstep and make us all happy......
If there was actually no prestige like all the people who want special items handed out think - then get this YOU WOULDN'T WANT THEM. And you wouldn't care so much about everyone getting the 'special' items.

Blizzard should just go full commie as a thought experiment brought to life. Every quest rewards one copper - every single piece of loot or item can be bought with 1 copper from vendors.

Cept you have to line up.. Haha.
05/14/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Reveries

So said players want these items for free? Or you just don't agree that the price they are willing to pay is = the value of the prestigious item.

I rarely see people want things for free but they want to be able to get them with what they have.

People have wanted items to be easier to obtain for the longest time. So again what prestigious item are you talking about in particular?

lvl 60 pvp gear being transmog'd.
T3
Black/plague proto drakes.

Personally, I got called being "self-entitlement" because I felt that T3 shouldn't be on the BMAH in another thread. Would be nice if people actually learned what an insult meant before using it.