PvP?

Paladin
I have an 85 warrior. New endgame Warriors suck and have, so I've heard.

I used to have a Ret Pally back when I used to play. He was pretty fun, so that leads me to the question..

What spec is best for leveling 1-85?

What spec is best for PvP? PvE?

Pros and Cons of Pallys?

How does Pally PvP/PvE compare to others?

What race should I roll?

Thanks, and I will post more if I think of more.
- Go prot for instant dungeon ques which can level you up very fast or go ret. Holy is ok for leveling if ALL you do is dungeons, just not as fast of a que as with prot and questing as holy will take you forever to kill mobs. All specs work for leveling if used right.

- Holy or Ret for PVP, I don't PVE but all specs are viable for PVE

Pros and Cons of Pallys?
- from a PVP standpoint, ret, only good when bursting and when bursting, your wings can be purged, dispelled and even stolen. Best off-healer in the game for your teammates. Decent survivability.
- for holy - at times in battlegrounds, you can be a walking raid boss where it takes 5 or 6 to kill you. you rarely hard cast heals , when you do, make sure you Los or out range cc or silences. I don't feel safe hard casting a heal unless i know i am humping a pillar or am out of range of their silences or interrupts or if i have Aura Mastery up. Mana is really never an issue unless getting mana burned. LIke ret, your bubble can be dispelled as well as your wings getting dispelled, purged or stolen.

- from a PVP standpoint, ret or holy is 2200 viable but trying go for really high ratings is next to impossible. Cataclysm PVP is just in a really bad sate as it stands. Again i don't PVE so I cant give accurate information on paladins in PVE

What race should I roll?
Human for PVP - you get a PVP trinket as a racial which opens up the ability to have two damage ramp up trinkets as well as increase expertise with maces and swords which isn't that big of deal but it doesn't hurt to have a little bonus like that :)

Anything really. Holy is slow DPS if you want to quest. I prefer Prot for instant dungeons.

Completely depends on how you like to play the game (PVE or PVP) as to what works, but in the general sense, no spec for Pally is a bad choice. Just go with what you like as a playstyle.

For PVP, Ret or Holy. As above, Prot was destroyed for PVP this expansion. It started okay after the end of Wrath, but then came the WOG and Veng nerfs and now it's just lolprot.

There are no 2200+ prot pallies in the game for a reason.

If you want to PVP, go either Ret or Holy (both good).

For PvE though, Pally tanks are good. They've had a number of tweaks and are quite good on AOE and single target threat. If you enjoyed tanking on your warrior, you'll probably enjoy tanking on pallies even more.

Pros and Cons of Pallys?

Jack of all trades, master of none.

We perform admirably on all fronts, but if you prefer PvP over PvE, I recommend a different class. Although specific specs have been good for Pallies in Cata, other classes got a lot more love this expansion. I think Blue just felt guilty at the pallyfest that was Wrath.

If you like to PvE though, Pallies bring something to the table no matter the situation.

Pallies are also an excellent solo class if you prefer to roll that way.

As stated above, for PVP - go either ret or holy. Both are viable 2200 specs, but neither will likely be competitive for the top spots. Both however are infinitely more viable than prot spec. Prot in PVP for pallies is reserved only for the masochists out there.

What race should I roll?

Alliance side - human. The racials on humans are excellent.
I agree with war on this one for pvp ret or holy depending on what you like. I am prot pally for ever prot pally but when Cata came out and the WoG nerfs im pretty much stuck as a flag carrie but compared to blood dks they are better if played right as flag carriers.
i say, spec, Ret all the way, damage is incredible i lvled no looms outdpsing full loom tanks, holy is good if your more of a healer, but yes, prot was destroyed in cata, good lvler spec as well tho, i just noticed ret had a bigger burst, it was fast paced, i rarely died, mostly because of crusader, and not too many abilities, even at 85 i still have room for a few new abilities to learn add in and still excel. i crit 20-25k on crusader strikes, The art of war exsorcism, and 3 holy power templars verdicts on people with full conquest, in a standard 4 honor piece and most of the rest of the crafted pvp set, simple gear, big burst against major gear, pop a few CDs i obliterate. leveling, heals are much much stronger than shamans or druids, best non-healer heals leveling, you do big burst, again, kill quick, big pulls survive with ease, not hard to master. Race..... depends on spec and aspect, pvp, Belf for horde Human for ally, belf gets more mana by using arcane torrent, and its a good interrupt when healers are spamming heals, and rebuke and Hoj are on CD, and if ret, human of course, has the trinket, good time for being a higher lvl just getting into pvp, leveling before 70 it has shorter cooldown than the bought ones everyone else has, very good trinket, not too many CDs on Ret to manage either, not till later.
pve, i have absolutely no idea, when i hit 85 i completely started disregarding pve, and mainly did pvp haha, i hit 60, 70 and 80 all in BGs
05/13/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Zenoxiraven

Prot.

What spec is best for PvP?

Holy.

PvE

Prot.

Pros and Cons of Pallys?

Pros: Hairflip. We are just too fabulous
Cons: Once you had the hairflip you cant go back

/hairflip

Do i need say more?

What race should I roll?

Blood elves.
From reading all the posts it sounds like Paladins have been nerfed all around and are pretty gear dependent more so than other classes. I've just started doing PVP and I have been grabbing up the crap honor gear.Does anyone have suggestions for a good spell rotation and is it better to use seal of insight for lasting power or is their a better seal to use? Any suggestions for pvping a ret paladin would be appreciated.
I have an 85 warrior. New endgame Warriors suck and have, so I've heard.

You heard correctly for pvp: http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?r=all&bg=all&br=3&mr=2600&mt=any&mg=200

However, they're viable in pve: http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/dps/#tab-25Heroic

PvP: Ret. http://www.arenajunkies.com/rankings/3v3/?sort=&region_id=All&battlegroup_id=-1&realm_id=-1&faction_id=-1&class_id1=2&class_id2=-1&class_id3=-1

PvE: Holy by far. http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/hps/#tab-25Heroic

Pros and Cons of Pallys?

Pros: High burst. Great off-healing as ret.
Cons: Easily CCed. Dependent on easily-dispelled cooldowns.

PvP: 6% representation. http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?r=all&bg=all&br=3&mr=2600&mt=any&mg=200

PvE: About 75% representation. http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/hps/#tab-25Heroic

What race should I roll?

Human. Best PvP racial in the game hands-down, and the other human racials are superior for holy/ret in both PvE and PvP.

Generally retribution. Protection works well now at low levels when the damage on Avenger's Shield is insane, but it starts to level off later and you cannot get vengeance stacked up solo so your damage drops off considerably. At low levels holy can work, especially with heirlooms, but at higher levels it becomes more or less the worst leveling spec in the game.

All dungeon roles generally get under 5 minute queues unless you're playing at an odd hour, so that shouldn't impact your decision too much. Those 5 minutes can allow you time to gather materials for professions, which is nice so you don't need to do that later on.

All specs are good in PVE. Retribution is probably the least desirable since their damage is fairly middle of the pack. They have high burst though, which is good in certain scenarios.

Pros and Cons of Pallys?

Pros: 3 different choices for roles. Great soloing capability if clearing old raids solo interests you. I think paladins have the best looking armor sets, but that is opinion of course.

Cons: Paladins are one of the simplest, if not the simplest class to play in any of their roles, so they're very intellectually stimulating to play, and performing well doesn't give a sense of accomplishment since there is a very low skill cap.

In PVP, holy and ret are great, but both have some pretty major drawbacks. Ret is very susceptible to being kited, and holy have VERY little utility/CC compared to other healers.

Already been covered.

What race should I roll?

The one that you like the looks of the most. If you don't have an preference, human is the best racial wise in most cases, racials are subject to change however, so visuals should be your first consideration.