Still can't mail heirlooms cross-server

General Discussion
And it's not really at the point where it's too hard to do, as we have LFG, LFR, Cross-server BGs which was years ago, the ability to trade LFG/LFR gear cross-server, etc, and now cross-server zones. It's just that Blizzard doesn't want to.

So why not? Is the income from people who server xfer heirlooms really that great?
They get this question alot. I think its because they likely believe heirlooms were a mistake (not because of the experience but because they mess up content tuning) so this is not really high on their list of priorities to fix.
You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. But don't worry, theres a FAQ for you!

Welcome to the Bind on Account Item FAQ!

I'm your host, Frosthawk !

Today I will be answering a few questions that many, many people have asked, time and time again, since the inception of "Bind on Account", or "BoA", items. New developments have created renewed interest in the items and I have taken the time to compile a list of questions and answers for your convenience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What are BoA items?

A: Bind on Account items are items which use a "binding" variation introduced in the Wrath of the Lich King Expansion. They are similar to "Bind on Pickup" items, but instead of being restricted to a single character, they are restricted to your account.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I send them from a character on one faction to a character on the other faction?

A: They did not initially have this functionality, but we decided to be nice and make this possible with the standard mail system. Simply type your other-faction character's name into the mail address box and that will work.

Q: Can I send them from a character on one server to a character on another server?

A: Not by mail, no. Currently, the only method for transferring BoA items across servers is with a Character Transfer.

Q: Why the hell not!?

A: There is no system in place to facilitate moving simple items from one server to another.

Q: Why don't they make one?

A: Core game code such as the mail system, which was written years ago, has a whole lot of other things depending on it to function the way it does. Such an overhaul of the way the system functions would require huge amounts of development time to make sure that it both works correctly and doesn't break anything. In addition, the separate servers do not communicate with each other.

Q: But they already communicate during a Character Transfer. Why not extend that functionality for cross-server item transfers?

A: Mailing an item from one character to another on the same server is like moving a file from one folder to another on the same computer.
Transferring a character to a different server is like cutting and pasting a folder onto a flash drive, and then physically transferring the folder to another computer, without the two computers interacting an any way.
This does not solve the issue of the lack of communication between servers.

Q: Why not just add a "server textbox" to the mail window?

A: Creating an interface element is a much simpler task than overhauling the programming to allow for such an element. Simply adding another box won't magically make it possible.

Q: So if you can't send them across servers, isn't "Bind on Account" lying? Shouldn't it be "Bind on Server"?

A: This is an incorrect assumption. Firstly, you can send them between servers, just not by mail. Secondly, you are misunderstanding the term "bind" and how it relates to "account". "Bind" means "stuck on", "restricted to", and so on. Therefore, BoA items are "restricted to your account", which is the correct description for how the items function. Similarly, "Bind on Server" is both an incorrect term for how BoA items function, and an incorrect term for how all items function.

Q: There are pets and mounts that are mailed to every character on your account. Why not just make BoA items like that?

A: There is a difference between an infinite number of "Bind on Pickup" items and a single "Bind on Account" item. In addition, the way the pets and mounts from the online store function is by having a website change one of the flags on your account, which spawns a copy of the item in all of your characters' mailboxes. There is no way for the game itself, while playing (which is how BoA items are obtained), to change your account flags.

Q: In 4.1, the tag was changed from "Bind on Account" to "Bind on Battle.net Account". Does that mean I can mail them from one server to another?

A: No. This means that they are "restricted to your Battle.net account", as was explained earlier. Your Battle.net Account can have any number of World of Warcraft Accounts attached to it.

Q: So now they've figured out how we can send them to other accounts. Shouldn't making them be able to be mailed across servers be just as easy?

A: Mailing (or, indeed, physically trading) an item to a person of a different account has been a function of the applicable systems since day one.

Q: So why is Blizzard so heart-set on not letting us mail BoA items across servers?

A: They aren't. Blizzard genuinely wants to make this possible. It's just that it takes time, and they have to keep their priorities straight. Since BoA items are not a required asset for anything in the game, they would rather keep developing new content to tide over everyone who complains about being bored.

Thus concludes our FAQ session!

This has been Frosthawk ! Have a nice day!

-- Stolen from Frosthawk -- Muradin
05/11/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Snooptrogg
You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. But don't worry, theres a FAQ for you!

Blizzard has had years to do this, I think I know what I'm talking about. Keep it up with the attitude though.
Huh? I think the OP is aware the items can't be sent cross server. He just wants to know when they will change that and why they haven't done it yet.
Last part of the FAQ. Priorities.
Why should they work on this? Let's be honest, Blizzard already has a great way for you to send BoA's across servers, through a server transfer. This process makes them money. Why would they want to spend money making a system that would help them lose money?
Well they have said its something that they want to do. But from what i understand their battlenet people are focusing their work on this other game at the moment. Some game about some spanish devil fellow.
05/11/2012 11:19 PMPosted by Kozumi
So why not? Is the income from people who server xfer heirlooms really that great?

This is not, as some claim in this thread, because we're wanting to encourage people to use paid Character Transfers to be able to transfer heirlooms to characters on other realms. It's unfortunate that this remains the only way players can achieve this and we would like to look into possibly changing this once priorities and schedules allow.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/152779-sending-heirlooms-across-realms/
tl;dr on that FAQ: stop complaining about being bored and cross-server BoAs will move up on the priority list
05/11/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Kozumi
Blizzard has had years to do this, I think I know what I'm talking about. Keep it up with the attitude though.

You really should read the FAQ.

And Blizzard has already stated that it's a project for the BattleNet team, not just the WoW team.
In essence: If you want the BOA now, go to your account information screen. Once there, log in and enter all required information, including your authenticator.

Once in the account information, begin the process of server transfer. Once this process completes you will have all the BOAs you want, if you put them on your character that is being transferred. Otherwise you will wait several more years. Fair warning then?

It's 25 dollars, if you do not value your time to a measly hour or two or three's work, then why are we complaining? Whip out the credit card and do what many of us have done... multiple times.
y not? cuz itz hards bro
05/11/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Hume
They get this question alot. I think its because they likely believe heirlooms were a mistake (not because of the experience but because they mess up content tuning) so this is not really high on their list of priorities to fix.

IF they were a mistake then i guess them coming out with the BoA leggings for next expansion and gloves was a mistake too.
they have literally had years to get this doen in an acceptable way without costing us 25 rl dollars .
This is why its not fixed the money involved .
There is not excuse as to why this should not of been a priority !

Thats my opinion .

YA I mean geez its not like they ever did anything else with their time. And every other company and person does everything demanded of them regardless of time, resources, and priorities.

So this is a obviously a totally reasonable assumption.
Battle.net was set up 5 years prior to the existence of WoW. It was never thought that there would be an actual need for cross-server communication for the purposes of mailing/sending inventory items.

There are several issues that need to be overcome to allow communication between servers, and Blizzard has placed a higher priority for the Battle.net team to work on issues for D3 and SC2.