@Team Muffin

Ravenholdt
Prev 1 6 7 8 10 Next
05/26/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Draxonicar
My inner self is mostly the same as my outer self, except its full of a bunch of squishy organs.

They have pills for that.

I was nice at first then you guys insulted my transmog even though it's the most beautiful thing you have ever seen. It's okay though because I forgive you.

....You know i'm starting to see the baby blanket.
05/26/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Darethy
....You know i'm starting to see the baby blanket.

And really... there's nothing WRONG with baby blankets...

http://tinyurl.com/7kzp9ng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI
05/26/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Oolaki
I think it's safe to say there are polite and impolite ways of disagreeing. When you choose to be insulting about something that someone else clearly enjoys or believes in, then you're just being insulting and you deserve whatever backlash you get. It has nothing to do with the inherent nature of people of one opinion type or another, nor the opinion itself (though it does seem that the less tolerant a person is, he or she seems much more willing to go out of his or her way to be insulting when expressing a contrary opinion). Curious.

How is it being insulting when I am honestly expressing my opinion of the show? I think it's terrible, overhyped, and annoying. I've watched it, so I think I have every right to express that. It'd be one thing if I was blatantly saying those things without having watched it, because then I'd just be an idiot.

There is a difference between being blunt or frank, and being insulting. Let me quote an article I read today:

"To protect our beliefs and emotional attachments, we push threatening ideas away and pull friendly information closer. This begins to happen subconsciously even before we are aware of what is happening. Self-protective reactions mobilize thoughts and emotions to protect our beliefs as if our life depended on it.

So a conclusion of this case study was that, 'We apply fight-or-flight reflexes not only to predators, but to data itself.'"

Side note: The case study mentioned was a study of a religious sect from the early 1950s that predicted the end of the world.

People are most likely to take anything negative as insulting. I have a problem with skirting over negative comments just because they might hurt someone's feelings. Sadly "progressive" society seems to disagree with me. I'd rather our society not end up like the movie Demolition Man, thank you very much.
05/26/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Ramzie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

I suppose thats a go- *looks at related videos* HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA I SAID HEY, GUYS WHATS GOING ON?

Sorry, Tahls song was catchier.

There is a difference between being blunt or frank, and being insulting.

There may be, but at the core of the issue is taking an attitude which will generally result in people being defensive in reply. You can't control other people, but you can control your own tone. I don't think any general statements that were made regarding attitude were aimed at you specifically, but if you think they were, perhaps you are carrying the slightest bit of guilt. ;)

I just re-read this thread, and if you don't mind, I'm going to go back to rocking back and forth in the fetal position.

(It's all fun and games until someone takes Ahveros seriously, and then the eye surgeon gets new clients.)
05/26/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Fredp
How is it being insulting when I am honestly expressing my opinion of the show?

Being polite is not a "new" thing. There is a REASON in OLD FASHIONED society, it was impolite to discuss politics, sex or money. Because too few people can stop themselves at "I'm not really a fan." When you start going into detail, especially if you are loading your unsought opinion with strongly emotionally-charged words like "sucks" "terrible" "over-hyped" -- you are implying that anyone who can't see how blatantly terrible, over-hyped or whatever -- must somehow be observationally or otherwise inferior to you.

But in this day and age of anonymous, freephlowing opinionz, just saying "I'm not a fan" is never opinion enough.
Team Muffin has helped me get significantly better at PvP. I mean, I don't even call myself decent, and I'm trying to get up there, but they've actually pushed me along. SILVER LINING, YA'LL. ITS ALWAYS THERE.
Being polite is not a "new" thing. There is a REASON in OLD FASHIONED society, it was impolite to discuss politics, sex or money. Because too few people can stop themselves at "I'm not really a fan." When you start going into detail, especially if you are loading your unsought opinion with strongly emotionally-charged words like "sucks" "terrible" "over-hyped" -- you are implying that anyone who can't see how blatantly terrible, over-hyped or whatever -- must somehow be observationally or otherwise inferior to you.

But in this day and age of anonymous, freephlowing opinionz, just saying "I'm not a fan" is never opinion enough.

And that is why old-fashioned society was BORING, because everyone sat around with a friendly facade, pretending everyone got along when in fact they didn't. I find that a LOT worse than being able to openly criticize what I don't like. Otherwise, we're China.

I'm not trying to say anyone is observationally or otherwise inferior to me. I am merely expressing MY opinion, and if someone somehow feels like they are insulted by that, I'm sorry but get thicker skin. Unless I am saying, "they're dumb because they watch MLP," I am not insulting anyone. I am only saying, "they watch a dumb show." There is no correlation between their intelligence and the show unless they make that correlation themselves.

It's all about free speech until someone doesn't like what I say, then I'm the !@#$%^- that needs to shut up.
This thread is like the Energizer bunny.
05/26/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Fredp
And that is why old-fashioned society was BORING, because everyone sat around with a friendly facade, pretending everyone got along when in fact they didn't. I find that a LOT worse than being able to openly criticize what I don't like. Otherwise, we're China.

I just get really tired of certain groups acting like trying not to hurt anyone's feelings is some kind of brand-new craziness that only new-fangled, communistic left-wing nuts came up with in the last twenty years. We've had VASTLY more elaborate efforts to avoid -- and consequences of -- insulting people in our distant past, all the way up to the present. I feel like those people who act as if being "PC" is new, are being just a tad disingenuous.

In any case, I just don't quite believe that using inflammatory language isn't intended to be inflammatory.
Sometimes inflammatory language is the best language. Next time, when you stub your toe or hit your funny bone or something, simply be Ned Flanders.

I promise you'll feel better!

05/26/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Oolaki
I just get really tired of certain groups acting like trying not to hurt anyone's feelings is some kind of brand-new craziness that only new-fangled, communistic left-wing nuts came up with in the last twenty years.

Except in the last twenty years America has somehow got in its head that it is okay to be fat, uneducated, a criminal, etc. because it is not politically correct to call people what they are. Language has a powerful effect on people. Inflammatory language motivates people. I'm not arguing against being tactful. I am arguing against being too extreme with it. Which is what America is guilty of.

How does that relate to the topic on hand? Maybe I will get some people to understand they enjoy watching a show created for little girls. If they're still fine with it, whatever. That doesn't bother me in the least bit. I just think it's funny that a group of adult men on the Internet are trying to make the show into what it isn't. If you call yourself a brony, at least face the truth. You are telling the world "I watch a cartoon created for little girls, and I like it."

I am not trying to be insulting. I am only making sure that these people understand the image they are creating themselves.
05/26/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Fredp
Except in the last twenty years America has somehow got in its head that it is okay to be fat, uneducated, a criminal, etc. because it is not politically correct to call people what they are.

Pretty sure no one criticized Ben Franklin for being overweight. Nor any one of dozens of historical figures I could point you to. And Georgia? A penal colony. That whole Declaration of Independence? A criminal act. As was that whole crazy American Revolution. (We were just lucky enough to have won.) Public education? Not really a big thing until the 50s.

America has always been a bunch of fat, uneducated criminals. It's only been recently that some people decided that it's not okay to be that way. And I'm not saying that it's wrong to see flaws in any of those behaviors. Merely that none of them are new problems. And they were most certainly not caused by people being polite.

I am not trying to be insulting. I am only making sure that these people understand the image they are creating themselves.

Is it any worse than wearing a WoW shirt in public? I don't think so. It's an irony pointed out much earlier in this thread wherein basically one group of nerds is telling another group of nerds "My cartoons can beat up your cartoons."

Eee-yep. Yep-yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg
America has always been a bunch of fat, uneducated criminals. It's only been recently that some people decided that it's not okay to be that way.

Notice this interestingly coincides with advancements in technology and understanding of human biology.

And oh yes, let's compare American independence with pirating, gang culture, illegal immigration, and a whole myriad of other criminal acts that we're taught aren't really that bad through political correctness or societal pressures.

Merely that none of them are new problems. And they were most certainly not caused by people being polite.

You actually haven't refuted my point here. I never said they were new problems. I am saying recently there has been a movement of "accepting who you are," "you are a special snowflake," etc. where mis-education has caused people to believe that these problems are not only acceptable, but encouraged. In the past they were merely acceptable. Being overly polite to a person by saying, "You're overweight but that's okay, you're SPECIAL!" is going to make that person feel like they are encouraged to remain so, until they're 300 lbs, in their 40s, and on the verge of dying to heart disease.

Black culture has taught youth that it's okay to be uneducated, or be involved in gang-related culture, because the guys on TV that make millions did it. Political correctness has done nothing but instigate and promote this idea, rather than call it for what it is: ignorance and criminal activity.

Internet culture has taught people that pirating is okay because a) copyright laws are obscure and b) you're giving the finger to The Man every time you pirate something. Yeah, I think the US copyright laws are terrible. However, I understand that stealing is stealing, despite the gray areas. I'm not being Robin Hood if I download the latest movie because giving my money to Hollywood is giving in to corruption.

The problem lies in telling people what they want to hear, versus telling people what they need to hear: the truth. If I could eat whatever I wanted, without repercussions, you bet your fuzzy slippers I'd do it. Yet here I am, 5' 8" and 220 lbs. Not overly obese, but definitely unhealthily chubby. I know that if I don't do something about it, I'll regret it in 10-20 years. I would never want someone to tell me it's okay to be this way. Because it isn't. I've watched all the problems my father has had at the same weight (even with him being in the Army).

Is it any worse than wearing a WoW shirt in public? I don't think so. It's an irony pointed out much earlier in this thread wherein basically one group of nerds is telling another group of nerds "My cartoons can beat up your cartoons."

I actually often wear my Zerg shirt in public. Most people don't understand it, because it's a little obscure (just the Swarm symbol on the front). I am happy, however, to have people see me as a computer game nerd. That is who I am. That is all I am trying to say. I don't try to misconstrue it to something it is not. I am a nerd.

So as long as bronies can accept the fact that they enjoy a TV show for young girls, I am fine with it. Just don't try to turn it into this testosterone-driven passion that bros talk about in gyms (or rather, the Internet variation thereof). Because that's what I see happening. I mean, they had to give themselves a nickname. They're "bronies," not "men who watch My Little Ponies." Language is a powerful thing.
how did this thread go from team muffin, to my girly little pony, then to obesity in America? Well at least my thread was a success, can now cross that off my bucket list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA
05/26/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Fredp
Sometimes inflammatory language is the best language. Next time, when you stub your toe or hit your funny bone or something, simply be Ned Flanders.

All I do is writhe in pain and moan "Fudge nuggets!"

I don't think I'm very good at this but then, hitting one's ulnar nerve really, really sucks. :(

05/27/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Fredp
So as long as bronies can accept the fact that they enjoy a TV show for young girls, I am fine with it. Just don't try to turn it into this testosterone-driven passion that bros talk about in gyms (or rather, the Internet variation thereof). Because that's what I see happening. I mean, they had to give themselves a nickname. They're "bronies," not "men who watch My Little Ponies." Language is a powerful thing.

@.@ You're "fine with it" and then tell folks that they can't do something... I... give up.