World IPv6 Launch Day

Technical Support
Wednesday, June 6, is World IPv6 Launch Day, a day when companies and individuals around the world will be working to permanently switch on and support IPv6. Blizzard is getting involved, and so can you!

Beginning on June 6, players on realms in both US and Europe will be able to connect to the game using IPv6.

If you’d like to know how to get started, or would like more information on what it’s all about, check out our IPv6 page from last year and FAQ.
you might want to update the IPv6 page

Q: What is World IPv6 Day?
A: World IPv6 Day, taking place on June 8, 2011 (that seems a little old)
Just let us still be able to play using the old methods, in the future as well, and all is well.
Khuule story bro!

:)
06/05/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Gabath
Just let us still be able to play using the old methods, in the future as well, and all is well.

06/05/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Marathel
So does that mean after tomorrow only IPV6?

You should read their page and their FAQ, but it means that a new connection method is available, without taking away the old connection method.

It does create a small risk for technical issues, for example if a customer's computer tries to use IPv6 but fails, and does not properly fall back to IPv4. However, this is not very likely. People should not expect to see problems.
Wonderful! I just got a net service upgrade with a new modem just last week. I don't know if I'll be able to do the IPv6 thing but.... if I can connect by that means, I'll be glad to help test out the future of the internet. :P
Does this have to do with the all the server's being down without our piror knowledge? :)
I wonder if AT&T has IPV6 in my area : /. Seems my gateway needs a firmware update from them first to even get it to work it seems from their site. I get a IPV6 address when I run the test on the official ipv6 site but no Ipv6 connection :(.
I wonder if AT&T has IPV6 in my area : /. Seems my gateway needs a firmware update from them first to even get it to work it seems from their site. I get a IPV6 address when I run the test on the official ipv6 site but no Ipv6 connection :(.

I'd imagine most ISP's just don't have it enabled yet.
If you web search for the name of your ISP and "IPv6", you'll probably find your ISP's IPv6 pages:
"comcast ipv6" finds: http://www.comcast6.net/
"att ipv6" finds: http://www.att.com/esupport/ipv6.jsp
...etc.

In general, you need all parts of your connection chain to be ipv6-enabled:
- Your computer has to support ipv6 (modern computers do)
- Your home router/modem has to support ipv6
- Your ISP has to support ipv6
- The service you connect to (Blizzard/Battle.net) has to support ipv6

Again, most people shouldn't care, it should work (or not) transparently.
When you get to the machine you run wow on, you can just go here

http://test-ipv6.com/

to see if your isp is configured for ipv6.
Will have to test it out this afternoon when I get home from work. Been using IPv6 for Google, Youtube and Facebook for over a year now.

Will this be extended to D3 and SC2?
My isp dont have it, and I doubt we will get it by them because of being really rural they just dont care lol
Wut!?!?
Look at your ISP's page.

For instance, cox won't be going to ipv6, for regular customers, until around 2013.

When I do the test ipv6, I see that Cox's DNS server will do it but that my connection from them is not ipv6 yet. This is because, if you do a search for cox pages on it, they are currently working on it for residential customers and testing it and such (pretty much through all of 2012.)

You will be ABLE to connect using ipv6, if you CAN. This is no way means you won't be able to using IPV4.

Blizzard will let you connect either way.

They are doing this now, for the future. IPv6 is the way it is going, because of addresses being exhausted with IPV4. Blizzard already has IPv4 addresses, as do YOU.

Essentially, you can just not worry about it at all right now.