Another Enhance Shaman PvP Thread

Shaman
Hey guys. I know you probably see threads like this a lot but I can't for the life of me decide between two classes for PvP. I know this is a Shaman forum so opinions may be biased, but I've read many posts on this forum and it seems like everyone is complaining about their class (I see this on every class forum not surprisingly).

Anyways, long story short I have a few characters that I play equally however , it's time I make something my main. I've considered enhance shaman with an off-spec of elemental and was curious what you guys thought of them in these categories:

A. Duels/1v1 scenarios (How does Enhance perform in these situations and what are its counters?)

B. Arenas 2s/3s/5s

C. RBGs- How "wanted" are enhance shamans OR ele shamans for RBGs?

D. MoP Future (How is shaman in general and Enhance looking for PvP come MoP?)

I would greatly appreciate your help and any insight you can offer me.

A. Duels/1v1 scenarios (How does Enhance perform in these situations and what are its counters?)

Enhance is pretty good for 1v1s. Most casters just fall over against enhance. Rogues and hunters are the toughest fights. Then probably DKs and ferals after that.

B. Arenas 2s/3s/5s

Highly dependent on your comp and how well you work together with your teammates. A well played enhance in the proper comp with decent partners can do well.

You will never get invited to a RBG as enhance. Elemental is better because of T-Storm and good single target burst when left alone.

Not much different than now. We got some cool new abilities, some current abilities got nerfed, but there is nothing that will drastically alter how well we do in PvP.
I'm getting the vibe that rogue is our toughest counter. What can we do to beat a sub rogue? The reason I'm asking is because I plan to bring my enh to a server with my two good friends who both happen to have sub rogue mains. I plan to duel them a lot and don't want to get completely obliterated by them 1v1. (1v1s are sort of a respect thing on his server more than anything).
06/08/2012 04:55 AMPosted by Feor
I'm getting the vibe that rogue is our toughest counter. What can we do to beat a sub rogue? The reason I'm asking is because I plan to bring my enh to a server with my two good friends who both happen to have sub rogue mains. I plan to duel them a lot and don't want to get completely obliterated by them 1v1. (1v1s are sort of a respect thing on his server more than anything).

If all you wanna do is beat Rogues, definitely go with Feral over Enhance. Bleeds + Faerie Fire + Bear = dead Rogue.
06/08/2012 04:55 AMPosted by Feor
What can we do to beat a sub rogue?

A geared rogue who knows what he is doing will beat you 100% of the time if he has cooldowns.

The best you can do is try to wait out his stuns and cooldowns, pick your moments when to attack, and hope he makes a mistake. An example is if the rogue disarms you, drop an earthbind and try to get out of melee range, while using shocks + searing totem for damage until dismantle fades. Similarly with evasion either kite or if you have the opportunity, attack with SS and LL while is back is turned so he cant dodge.

If you know a stun is coming switch to a shield just before it lands and switch back to your normal weapons once the stun fades. That way you get a little bit of damage reduction and almost no damage loss.

I find frostbrand and the lightning shield glyph incredibly useful against rogues as well.
Thanks again for the responses. If there were a list of classes that enhance does well verse 1v1 and classes they don't do so good verse what would it be? I'm interested to see this.
if you want to be viable at more than healing play the other class
this is at least for me:

easy- most mages (specially arcane, yum), warriors, some dks, balance druids, elemental shamans, ret pallys, prot pallys, some hunters, shadow priests, warlocks.

not easy- rogues, ferals, disc priests, holy pallys, good dks and extremely good ret pallys, hardcore fire mages.

im pretty sure i missed a class or 2 but eh you get the point

Thanks. It seems like Enhance eats most caster dps correct me if I'm wrong.
http://oi43.tinypic.com/16h0nsp.jpg

A handy-dandy little chart with some information on 1v1 PvP things.
(I take no credit for it, barely PvP myself, just thought it might be useful! Snagged from a DK thread.)

(I take no credit for it, barely PvP myself, just thought it might be useful! Snagged from a DK thread.)

Looks nice but Arms warriors do not counter Enhance Shamans.. >_>

easy- most mages (specially arcane, yum), warriors, some dks, balance druids, elemental shamans, ret pallys, prot pallys, some hunters, shadow priests, warlocks.

not easy- rogues, ferals, disc priests, holy pallys, good dks and extremely good ret pallys, hardcore fire mages.

A good boomkin is actually a pretty even fight. Fortunately good boomkins are rare to find.

I'd also put hunters in the not easy category.

Whoever made that chart had a nice idea but doesnt really know 1v1 balance very well.
rogues aren't that bad, and I'll tell ya how to beat them with relative ease 1v1.

1. Drop your offensive totems and wait. let him attack you.
2. once he begins attacking hit shamanistic rage, then stoneclaw as soon as you get out of stun. Do not use your trinket just yet.
3. drop earthbind right after stoneclaw and begin attacking, searing flames should be at 5 stacks so you'll hit him pretty hard.
4. drop stoneclaw followed by earthbind as soon as you can.
5. heal as soon as you need to, and fight him head on. The moment he disappears, start hard casting GHW to either draw him back to you, or you heal back to full.
6. when he does come back he'll probably do the same opener, so shammy rage if its up, or trinket out if you are low on hp and can't absorb the hits, and drop stoneclaw then earthbind. continue attacking and healing.

This tactic has worked on equally geared rogues, and generally its only failed me when lava lash was dodged 3-5 times in a row. I would generally not use ghost wolves in a duel with a rogue(unless he was that much stronger than me) but thats my own preference. If you feel you need them I recommend them being used at the end of step 2.

hope this helps
Any competent rogue will beat an enh its sad but true. Rogue opens with garrote into 5 second kidney into disarm into evasion into vanish+ cloak into cheap and shadow dance where he gets off 4-5 25k ambushes for the kill. You will get almost all your attacks dodged you might get 1 GHW off and if you try to kite with wolves he can easily stop the spirit walk with a shadow step shiv. There has to be a combination of luck and the rogue messing up bad for there to be even a chance of winning.
06/10/2012 04:30 AMPosted by Dudleybailey
rogues aren't that bad, and I'll tell ya how to beat them with relative ease 1v1.

Dudley, it looks like your spec is specifically anti-melee. How much does it help compared to the more usual Reverberation builds?
just wanted to say, just rolled an enh shammy shortly ago. got her to 85 and getting geared, i have tuly fallen in love with this comp. so much fun to play and have ben wrecking people in pvp and doing high high burst in arenas with a few friends of mine and not even truly geared yet. cant wait to see the numbers when i get that gear. laters
Hey guys. I know you probably see threads like this a lot but I can't for the life of me decide between two classes for PvP. I know this is a Shaman forum so opinions may be biased, but I've read many posts on this forum and it seems like everyone is complaining about their class (I see this on every class forum not surprisingly).

Anyways, long story short I have a few characters that I play equally however , it's time I make something my main. I've considered enhance shaman with an off-spec of elemental and was curious what you guys thought of them in these categories:

B. Arenas 2s/3s/5s

I would greatly appreciate your help and any insight you can offer me.

A. We lose to rogues, hunters and competent frost mages. Everything else we beat most of the time.

B.

2's. Disc Priest or rdruid/Enhance and Rogue/Enhance are my favorite 2's comps but I still avoid 2's like the plague

3's. Enhance is actually viable here. I've played the normal comps like turbo cleave, rogue/disc/enh and feral/enh/disc. I've also played my own comp I call Reject Cleave which I got 2250 with this season, Enh/Demology Warlock/Resto Druid.

These comps work because our powerful instant cc and our caster shutdown windshear. Our damage is also pretty extreme and we are pretty self sustaining. I do not suggest enhance if you want an easy 2.2 though.

5's. I haven't done any; i wouldn't imagine an offensive tremor would be very bad but hex is gaurenteed to be useless in 5's.

C.

RBGS Enhance is not wanted. Ever.

D. MoP is looking better, we will have more damage and possibly better cc. We would be fine right now if rogues weren't so over the top.