Elune the Loa.

Story Forum
06/16/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Taveria
No. Elune is not a loa, titan, naaru, old god or sha. She is a god, end of story. Why are you trying to ruin one of the few cool things Night Elves have left?

06/16/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
A God can be a Loa. Hakkar is a Loa, but he is also a God.

The term Loa isn't exactly specific to a certain deity. So far, the main restriction is that said powerful spirit is related to nature.
06/16/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Taveria
No. Elune is not a loa, titan, naaru, old god or sha. She is a god, end of story. Why are you trying to ruin one of the few cool things Night Elves have left?

"Loa" is the term for sources of energy or religious spirits or whatever. It's not a type of being as much as a title.

Just as Hakkar is a god, he is also a Loa.
I think the mystery of her should just remain a mystery. Either that or just make her an untouchable, unable to be killed goddess. A line of true deities.
Not to mention it's been said that Night Elves evolved from trolls...
06/16/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Valko
Not to mention it's been said that Night Elves evolved from trolls...

It's not just been said, it's canon that they mutated from Dark Trolls.
06/16/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Butterfreezi
I think the mystery of her should just remain a mystery. Either that or just make her an untouchable, unable to be killed goddess. A line of true deities.

Can still exist without it being unkillable. Gods should be killable. She isn't all powerful, nor should she be.
"Loa" is the term for sources of energy or religious spirits or whatever. It's not a type of being as much as a title.

Just as Hakkar is a god, he is also a Loa.

Aye. There are no solid rules as to what can be considered a Loa, since a veritable host of beings seem to qualify for the title. It's why I had asked for some kind of clarification on what constituted a Loa in the latest CDev.

For what it's worth, I think it's fairly safe to say we can apply the term of "Loa" to the whole gamut of creatures which hold any sort of position within the Troll mythos. While that does lead to an extremely broad definition, it does allow us to compare and contrast the various Loa to find an approximate match to Elune.

For example, Elune is similar in nature to Hakkar in that she accepts (perhaps even demands, in some cases or rites) living sacrifices, those who worship her seem required to build their entire social structure around her figure (I don't know of any case where a non-Hakkari troll group holds any single loa so prominently.), she communicates with and grants boons to those in her service, those who die in her service seem bound to serve even beyond death, etc.

So there are several ways in which it seems Elune is similar to the Loa worshipped by the Night Elves' Troll cousins. It's possible that just as the Dark Trolls were transformed and tempered by the influence of the Well of Eternity and of Elune, Elune was transformed into her particular form by the energies of the Well of Eternity or some other influence.

said the night elf mage
A thread created by a druid necro'd.

I should have a joke ready, but find myself coming up short.
06/15/2012 10:04 PMPosted by Ferlion
Gem of Elune was found floating above the reactivated Altar of Elune duringA [59] Guardians of the Altar which is started by Ranshalla. According to the Priestess of Elune it was used to communicate directly with Elune. It was once found in Winterspring, but since the Cataclysm, has gone missing.

All I see is further proof that Elune is a shiny Naaru.

*smokes pipe and adjusts monocle*
03/21/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Greenbomber
Gem of Elune was found floating above the reactivated Altar of Elune duringA [59] Guardians of the Altar which is started by Ranshalla. According to the Priestess of Elune it was used to communicate directly with Elune. It was once found in Winterspring, but since the Cataclysm, has gone missing.

Yeah, right up there with all the blood sacrifices and chaining of spirits and bestiality.
03/21/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Ferlion

Yeah, right up there with all the blood sacrifices and chaining of spirits and bestiality.

Well nothing says that there aren't Naaru out there like that. We've only met a handful, we have no idea if they're all like that, if they were always like they are now etc etc. And Naaru can go dark/void so who knows. Mainly I just wanted to incite NE rage.
Mainly I just wanted to incite NE rage.
Earthen were actually created in Titan outhouses. You are descended of Azeroth's first litter critters.
You know, thinking about the NE pantheon this makes alot of sense, particularly when we take into account what we know of Troll worship of Loa.

Different Loa hold different places in Troll society. The ones we see the most are the Animal Loa. These are pretty well known. However we also have major Loa that arent animals like Hakkar and Bwansambi(whos name I probably spelt wrong). This Loa have a strong supernatural quality different to the animalistic Loa.

Now the NEs have the Anceints and Elune. Consider for a moment a nocturnal troll tribe. Its very likely that a Moon Loa would be prominant in their worship. That gives us Ancients in a similar role as the animal Loa and Elune as a more spiritual one. It would be simple for the religion to evolve from that to what it is today.

Add another bit to this. The NEs in WotA refered to Hyjal as 'sacred' but didnt specify why. This was prior to the world tree and the Well of Eternity being located there. We also know the Dark Trolls lived on Hyjal. It is also where the Anceints live and if I understand what Ferlion linked right, the location of the Eye of Elune.

This could suggest that Hyjal was an anceint holy center for pre NE troll society. Perhaps even it was from the Eye of Elune that the proto NEs received the guidance that lead them to the Well of Eternity to begin with.

It really fits well. Todays Elune worship would evolve quite naturally from a troll religous stance.

Edit: Wow, I didnt even realise it was a necro. Im on the ball today.
I gotta say, Between E'Lune the Naaru and Elune the Loa, I 9000% prefer Elune the Loa.

I mean, I agree that Nelves should have been their own thing instead of Trolls, but since the Troll thing is p. immutable canon now, sure, let's run for it.

Much like Christians took YHWH and made him their own, the idea that Elune came with the Night Elves away from the Trolls and even chose them as her own people to cultivate into something better, perhaps rebelling from the Pantheon along with the Loa who would later become known as the Ancients is about as epic and compelling a story as we've seen out of Warcraft to me. It may just be that I really love Mythology and Religious studies, and the idea of a great falling out between the Pantheon that inspired Elune to lead the Dark Trolls to the Well and turn them into her own people has a lot of dramatic potential.
Mainly I just wanted to incite NE rage.

Earthen were actually created in Titan outhouses. You are descended of Azeroth's first litter critters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuB1S_avUWw