How did this Brony revolution started?

Movies, TV and Entertainment
I'm really curious as to how this whole thing about MLPFiM started to become the biggest thing on the Internet?
Please keep the pony related stuff to the general thread.
It started with one really well done cartoon series that has mass appeal to more than its target audience ala the old cartooncartoon block (dexter's lab, johny bravo, power puff girls). Word of mouth took care of the rest =)
Yet another 4chan meme spread across the internet.
07/15/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Snozberries
Yet another 4chan meme spread across the internet.

Yup.
A Government attempt to control the minds of young people gone horridly wrong?
Eh it's late. I'll bite

The show was created by Lauren Faust. The woman in charge of Powerpuff Girls and that one cartoon with the imaginary friends. I never watched it but I had to mention it or someone would correct me. When people found out she was involved, fans of her work flocked over. She designed the show to be entertaining for the whole family. Similar to how your parents could sit and watch Disney movies with you when you were a kid. And not be entirely bored.

Comparing this to cartoons that are currently out now it's surprisingly good. Sure it's a kids show and it has it's cheesy lessons at the end of each episode. But the characters are nicely written and developed. An example being how the snob of the group, Rarity, is actually tougher and smarter then she puts on. Rather then just have her be the typical snob preppie girl/pony.

As for all the male viewers? I can't say. Girl viewer here I don't have much taboo involved with watching cartoons at my age. It's not a bad thing to want to watch something cheerful. Especially since the real world kind of sucks at the moment if you think about it.

There's also the fans of Tara Strong. The voice actress for the lead character. Twilight. She's pretty much the voice of some peoples childhood. She's been in a lot of video games too. Harley Quinn for example, or Rikku from Final Fantasy 10/10-2. So I'm just taking a shot in the dark that it had to do with fans of the voice work as well.

And of course there is the band wagon mentality. This isn't for everybody but I'm sure the teenage viewers just want to be part of something popular. That just so happens to have a nice community of fans. Well when some fans aren't being obnoxious about it. But obnoxious fans exist for everything. It's just so they don't feel alone or weird. Like you tend to do when you're that age.
I agree with alot of what you said, BUT:

07/18/2012 01:30 AMPosted by Rosenivy
The woman in charge of Powerpuff Girls

Um no. That was her husband. She did not join the show till season 3 as a story board artists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powerpuff_Girls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_McCracken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Faust

Credit should be given where its due. Shes a very talented woman, but McCracken was the one in charge of the PPG.

Id say that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genndy_Tartakovsky

Had as much to do with the PPG if not more than she did.
It's a great show that I actually enjoy watching with my 3 year unlike almost every other childrens show. It has a huge appeal and people really enjoy it.
Um no. That was her husband. She did not join the show till season 3 as a story board artists.

Apologies my information was a little skewed. I was little when I watched Powerpuff Girls my memory is a little weak. I also remember Lauren did work for Cats Don't Dance. A rather underrated movie. PPG was just something I've heard a lot of the fans say.
07/18/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Rosenivy
PPG was just something I've heard a lot of the fans say.

Yeah, I know. So every time someone says that I feel the need to mention that. I just feel that the actual author/artist is the one who deserves the credit.
Yeah, I know. So every time someone says that I feel the need to mention that. I just feel that the actual author/artist is the one who deserves the credit.

True. I agree. I didn't really watch too much of either show. But I knew the fanbase loves to talk about Powerpuff Girls. Bronys are pretty cool. Unless you get stuck with one of the way too enthusiastic "have to defend myself at every comment" when really someone is just having a small critique over the show.

Or my favorite. "You don't like MLP? You stupid homophobe!" Yeaaaaaah that's some love and tolerance right there. Still the good fans are at least some of the nicest people I've chatted with online.

Also hey. Fluttershy. Enough said.