World of Warcraft: Mists of Online Harassment

General Discussion
1 2 3 25 Next
Highly Rated
A recent topic on the General Discussion board prompted me to create this thread. The thread was titled "go kill yourself" and detailed the unnecessary harassment of a player. I have never been one to take idle threats and online harassment seriously, however I've noticed lately it's become out of hand.

Online Harassment in World of Warcraft:

Take this scenario. You've finally leveling up to 85, a little later then everyone else, but you managed to get to the top. You and a friend get together and do some quests to get gear, and now you can finally play Heroics like everyone in your guild. Steadily, you pick up tricks that help you preform your role, whether it be tanking, healing, or DPSing. You zone into Shadowfang Keep and fight your way to the first boss. When the fight is finally won, your peer posts a recount, showing you in the number four spot doing 8k damage.

"lol wow scrub you suck"
"Sorry, I'm getting used to DPSing"
"go [removed] and die"

Why? This serves no purpose other then lowering the new players self esteem and, in the long run, might just leave the game. Let's take the same scenario how it should be dealt with.

"Hey rogue why is your dps so low?"
"Sorry, I'm getting used to this Assassination"
"Try using Envenom instead of Evisicrate next fight"

Not only does this handle the situation much better, the new player has learned a bit more about his Class and will play better.

What You Can do to Help:

Whether you know it or not, we are Blizzards front lines against this harassment. They do not have a quiz for the player base to determine these bad gamers from the rest of us. Please, if you see this behavior occurring in your chat, take action. Do not be that guy sitting in Stormwind or Orgrimmar watching someone being trolled and harassed by other players and do not be that guy in a dungeon watching chat and not paying attention to the new player being made fun of, TAKE A STAND! Lead by example and single out these players. If we stand against the these bad gamers they'll learn to control themselves or will end up dropping out of the game. Always report players for harassment and threats.

Thank you for reading this thread, and remember why you play World of Warcraft! Have fun!
Well said mate - unfortunately its far too easy to be a bully. Some see helping as effort. And because people are anonymous especially in random heroics/dungeons they can do this and get away with it. It's a shame but ignore the trolls - eventually they starve to death :)
It's also far too easy to do a simple search of google and/or these forums and come up with an optimal spec and dps rotation for your class and chosen spec. The other four players in the group don't want to carry you through the dungeon and they shouldn't have to. 8k dps is horrible and any fresh 80 that has a decent spec and rotation can do much better. Too many people these days have this entitlement complex about dungeons and think it's okay to go into heroics with terrible gear and the other players have to carry them.

edit: @OP That doesn't excuse the person in your group being rude to you, but you should have done your homework.
It's also far too easy to do a simple search of google and/or these forums and come up with an optimal spec and dps rotation for your class and chosen spec. The other four players in the group don't want to carry you through the dungeon and they shouldn't have to. 8k dps is horrible and any fresh 80 that has a decent spec and rotation can do much better. Too many people these days have this entitlement complex about dungeons and think it's okay to go into heroics with terrible gear and the other players have to carry them.

edit: @OP That doesn't excuse the person in your group being rude to you, but you should have done your homework.

So perhaps the person isn't playing his class to the best of his abilities. Does that give anyone to give him the right to tell him to go kill himself? No.
I for one disagree that people should take it to the point as to start forcefully censoring what others can say, it might be hurtful, disrespectful, and mean. But, I'll gladly stand up for someone's right to be that way. The only situation that has gotten out of hand is how easily offended people have grown; as to the point they're taking these anonymous insults from some faceless player to the point it's causing them distress. There is an ignore feature for a reason, player, if you don't like what someone is saying to you, use it.

My kindness can go a long way, but I'm not spineless and I'm not afraid to tell someone to "Shut the !@#$ up." if they go out of their way to insult me, but I've never reported anyone due to it.
I'm just shocked that the damn thing is still there. How in the hell is this a debate?

There's no reason to be a jerk to other people.
07/16/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Hujong
Humans should die.

He has a point. I mean, at some point, we ought to die. Immortality would be awful.
07/16/2012 10:32 PMPosted by Barhaulmr
There's no reason to be a jerk to other people.

Jerks don't need reasons to be jerks.
Just /ignore and move on.

Jerks suck, but I think claiming it is "harassment" is taking it too far.

Bad attitudes can happen at any playing level in the game. I've been in plenty of groups where the dps was downright awful and people either didn't say anything at all or were friendly to eachother.
smack talk has gone hand in hand with online games since the dawn of online multiplayer games, this sort of stuff was pretty bad during the counter strike era, it's nothing new.

A real gamer would have grown considerable amount of resistance to flaks, i guess you don't game a lot, it's something you would get use to
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAno
My only 2 characters are a healer and a tank, through all of this I have received more insults, more abuse, more threats, and more questioning of my sexuality than I can even begin to remember. However, all that served as motivation to actually learn to become better.

This is the best possible thing you could do, thank you.
If you do only 8k DPS at 85 you have no business in LFD to begin with.
Online bullies are pathetic. Period. They are sad little people who likely do not have any power in their real lives so they resort to putting people down in an online environment so they can feel big.

I can honestly say I have never shed tears over something said to me in game. I am a nice player and I do what I can. I mess up sometimes because I'm new but I try to take direction where it is offered.

But if someone is being purposefully ignorant and mean, I just giggle and move on.

HERE'S how you help: Don't tolerate it. Inconviencence yourself a little to stand up for people.

I know this can be hard. I'll never get over a fairly low level dungeon I was running with this group. We had a tank who was kind of new but things weren't going badly. We had a 'gogogogo' idiot in the group who hurled insults at the tank which were increasingly insulting. Eventually, the tank leaves. No surprise, there. So, I say something. I told him that was uncalled for and why did he have to ruin what could be a pleasant run when no one else seemed to have a problem?

His response? "Shut your mouth or we'll boot you."

Really? REALLY? My response: "Out of a level fifty five man dungeon? Lol. Do it."

At this point, some other guy was like, "Look guys, let's just finish it. Stop arguing."

And you know what? He didn't say another word. Why? Because he was a sad little man who lives in his mother's basement and hasn't seen the light of day or a shower in a week.

Then, just today, running a dungeon I've done a zillion times because random keeps placing me there. Everything is seemingly going fine. No one is dead. Tank holding aggro. Going maybe a little slower than some of the other groups I've been with, but not significantly. The problem? Well, the tank is getting hit kind of hard. But we have a pro healer.

Random DPS: "Tank, why u so squishy?"

Healer: "It's fine."

Okay, well, healer thinks she can handle it. Good enough for me.

Well, DPS begins to berade the tank and ends up leaving with a 'good luck guys' when he fails to get a rise. We managed to survive without him and finish without mishap.

You know what needs to happen? People need to start reporting this behavior. And WoW needs to start taking it seriously.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

This still sums this up nicely and it won't change.
Ignore and move on and report it if it goes far enough to warrant it. After a while this kind of stuff will just roll off your shoulders. Better yet, stand up for yourself. Don't let them get a rise out of you.

You know what needs to happen? People need to start reporting this behavior. And WoW needs to start taking it seriously.

So we can have even longer tickets when more serious issues happen? No thanks. I hate internet bullying just as much as you do, but shrug it off and let it go. Ignorelist people.

I'll always stand up for someone if I see them being treated poorly, but not much else can be done. If true harassment was happening, sure...report it. By harassment I mean someone whispering you daily on new characters they make because their previous ones were ignorelisted.

Being a jerk isn't harassment to me.
So we can have even longer tickets when more serious issues happen? No thanks. I hate internet bullying just as much as you do, but shrug it off and let it go. Ignorelist people.

I'll always stand up for someone if I see them being treated poorly, but not much else can be done. If true harassment was happening, sure...report it. By harassment I mean someone whispering you daily on new characters they make because their previous ones were ignorelisted.

Being a jerk isn't harassment to me.

Do you not feel someone acting in a savage manner isn't an important issue?

Would you rather people just played a game? How is someone who is volatile towards others people going to allow such an environment?

If someone was throwing insults, do you think you'd just have to put up with it? Because they're "just copying someone else"?

Blizzard isn't asking everyone to get along, they're just asking for a little civility when dealing with strangers.