Will WoW Go Completely Free-to-Play?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Will Blizzard make this decision soon like so many other MMOs and should they? Personally, I prefer the subscription fee I pay. All content in the game is attainable through game mechanics rather than nickle and diming players (excluding Blizzard Store content). FTP would ultimately kill transmogrification, thus making world exploration a disincentive rather than an additional excuse to leave SW or Org. Thoughts?
08/05/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Avatår
Lolno.
No not anytime soon. With the amount of subscribers they have they make more money with pay to play then free to play.
As long as it remains successful while using the pay-to-play model, I don't think they will change.
No, they already said it won't.

They anticipated this subscriber drop. There's been no new content for 8 months. There's an expansion in 2 months, that, from someone who has played beta, is pretty damn incredible.

The sub. count will go up in October.
I hope this isn't about TOR, because there's a reason it's going free-to-play.
Eventually it probably will. I don't forsee it happening anytime soon. Maybe when subscriptions drop down to a million or so.

At that time, if done right, I would have no objection to WoW being free-to-play. It would probably be a free-to-play and subscription based. As long as they didn't sell anything that gives an in-game advantage, it wouldn't be bad.

Some of the things they could sell would be: Mounts, pets, additional character slots, character skins, etc.
Not until 2014 when subs drop below 1 million.
Not until 2019 when subs drop below 1 million.

Fixed. ;)
Not until they release their next gen MMO.

Fixed. ;)

Fixed again. :)
08/05/2012 12:13 AMPosted by Blinddoxie
Lolno.
08/05/2012 01:07 AMPosted by Aureon
Not until 2019 when subs drop below 1 million.

Fixed. ;)

No way man. I have inside sources from CEO Rich Guys International (who own all the companies) that are telling me WoW is dying and losing subs at a growing rate.
08/05/2012 01:19 AMPosted by Gandred

Fixed. ;)

No way man. I have inside sources from CEO Rich Guys International (who own all the companies) that are telling me WoW is dying and losing subs at a growing rate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkc7DMm9b_E
"So what about free-to-play? Chilton confirms that it's "definitely a possibility," but for those of you looking for an immediate free-to-play version of WoW, you're going to have to wait. Chilton clarified that the change would be a dramatic departure from Blizzard's current business model, and it would take quite a bit of convincing to switch models."

Fixed. I bolded and underlined the last part of the comment the previous poster negelected to include in this quote from a year old article.

Which, incidentally, was mainly about Chilton playing coy as to whether the expansion was even going to be named Mists of Pandaria.

Which we now know it is.
I'll keep playing as long as it's 15 a month because every game that's free to play always has a "PAY THIS TO GET THIS ITEM THAT MAKES YOU WIN INSTANTLY" market.
It's not going to go F2P for a long time. They still have 9+ million subscribers, and they'll most likely get back AT LEAST another million when MoP hits.

Even if they lose a million subs every year this game probably wouldn't go F2P until like 2018.

It's only $15 a month, and with that money they can make the game alot better than they could if it was free. I've gotten alot of enjoyment out of WoW for the past 7 years. I don't mind paying monthly.