Duped items...

Customer Support
So I'm headed back to my old server soon and want to take some mounts that I've never seen there, and I keep hearing about this duped stuff. All rumors though. I'll get banned for even buying it, even though there's no way to tell. It will be destroyed during the transfer. It won't work when you try and use it. etc etc.

Is there any kind of official post/stance regarding this duped stuff? All I get is more rumors when I ask around. I'm just trying to avoid getting into any kind of trouble, just in case any of this is true.

Is there an official post somewhere? I guide on how to identify a duped item?
There is no such thing as duping. End of story.
all the rumors of duping are overblown, is the long and short of it.

blues haven't said that duping was never possible, just that it isn't now and all the current rumors about it are false. to me, i'd buy my items from a variety of people, just to make sure i didn't dump all my money to one compromised account or something. but otherwise, i wouldn't sweat it.
Blue posts on the topic:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4885868541?page=1#2
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6079780920#15

I'm not going to dig them uo at this late hour but Blues have also acknowledged that purchasing high value items in bulk to resell following a server transfer is a legitimate method of 'spending down' if you're over the gold cap.
Official stance is dupes and duping does not exist. Reality is the items may have come from "exploitation" and we call them "dupes" even the process is not duping.

Its impossible as a user to what is a dupe and what not is a dupe but if your buying off the AH your very unlikely to have an issue. On the other hand if your buying off some level one selling epic gems in 200 stack lots for the same price as a rare gem its probably a dupe.

If your looking for a ban buying off level ones and selling them on the AH is a pretty good way to "disrupt the economy"

08/05/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Arizza
I'm not going to dig them uo at this late hour but Blues have also acknowledged that purchasing high value items in bulk to resell following a server transfer is a legitimate method of 'spending down' if you're over the gold cap.

If your going to transfer gold then buying a guild bank and transferring that for $10 real dollars is probably better way to do it then selling epic gems for 1/10 of the AH Price.
yes you do have to worry.

there have been many cases where people bought stuff from people selling gems in trade and had all the stuff they bought removed and they never got their gold back.

sometimes they get their account actioned.

blizzard has acknowledged that some items are being created through an exploit.

its not duping but it is an exploit that is well documented if you want to google it and learn the history of this exploit, everything from when it was discovered, and even who discovered it you can.
08/05/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Sintoodoo
i wish the so called CS regulars would stop with the "duping does not exist mantra"

its not duping

So you agree then? Duping does not exist.

exploit has the same effect as duping

An exploit possibly does exist. Which is completely different and can only be done on purpose.

when you are in the bugged state no gold is subtracted from you when you buy stuff.

Which does not apply to the AH.

So, end of the story is, duping does not exist. Beware of items that are priced in the sense of "too good to be true." which has always been true.
[quote="62458949808"]So, end of the story is, duping does not exist. /quote]

Blizzard are not the thought police. Merely by saying something can happen does not make the word go away, the same thing applies to the word "ninja".

If someone says something was ninja'ed or if someone says something is duped. People know what the other person is saying. Its better and simpler then saying this item was gained from the gem vendor by an exploit, this item was gained from a quest vendor by a different exploit, this item was gained from a guild bank by a scam. Its simpler for the purposes of communication between people of different backgrounds to use the word "dupes" as that is a recognized word in the gaming community for items that come from exploits. The exact method of exploitation does not matter and often players would prefer not to know.
08/05/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Sintoodoo
blizzard has acknowledged that some items are being created through an exploit.

Care to provide a link? Because the only thing that I've seen acknowledged was that the items were obtained via illicit means. And sometimes that includes guild banks being burgled via an exploit. That's a vastly different thing than created via an exploit.

08/05/2012 11:40 PMPosted by Mate
Merely by saying something can happen does not make the word go away, the same thing applies to the word "ninja".

No, it doesn't make the word go away. But people need to learn that words have meanings. If I called that oblong yellow fruit which often goes into sundaes an apple, you'd look at me like I was an idiot. It's the exact same thing. If you were scammed out of loot in a PuG, tell Blizzard that you were scammed, not ninja'd. If you suspect that items were not obtained legitimately then report them to blizzard as suspect and leave the word Dupe out of it.

People cloud the issue their insistence on using such incorrect terminology, and then can't figure out why GMs can't help them. If I complained to the police that someone had shot me, and they investigated that, seeing that there was no evidence of a shooting, can I blame them that they didn't understand that I was complaining about a mugging?
Please don't give people here an attitude about not coming across a blue post from the EU website. We tend to use information given to us, and since we're US customers, we base things off of the US website. If you want to provide information, fine, but there really isn't a need to be combative about it.
People cloud the issue their insistence on using such incorrect terminology, and then can't figure out why GMs can't help them. If I complained to the police that someone had shot me, and they investigated that, seeing that there was no evidence of a shooting, can I blame them that they didn't understand that I was complaining about a mugging?

Shooting and mugging are two different words, with clearly different meanings.

What exactly is the word for an item gained from a unknown method that is probably a exploit?. A word where people involved in gaming is familiar with it and does not have to think about what you really mean? If in dii someone was selling a 100 SoJ did you assume that each and everyone was gained legitimately or did you call them dupes, when after all the reality was their where a variety of exploits and not all the exploits involved duplicating items.
There is no duping and no exploit. When these items are gained through non-legitimate means, it means they were stolen from a compromised account and/or guild bank. So yes, if you buy something from someone in trade who is selling items stolen from a hacked account, you would probably have the items taken away when the hacked account restoration is done. No item has ever been "duped" in WOW...it doesn't matter what terminology you use. There is no exploit that permits this to be done, and there never has been.

The blues have stated before that all of the "non-legitimate" items are in fact just stolen from hacked accounts. They are not duped. This is what Blizzard means when they refer to "exploitive" items.
08/06/2012 01:50 AMPosted by Sintoodoo
Care to provide a link? Because the only thing that I've seen acknowledged was that the items were obtained via illicit means. And sometimes that includes guild banks being burgled via an exploit. That's a vastly different thing than created via an exploit.

try using a google.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3225593877#11

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3312963945?page=5

just as a dupe is not the same as an item gotten from an exploit.

items from an exploit is not the same as getting items from a hacked account.

i hope this clears it up for you.

Those posts use the term "items of a dubious origin," I don't see anything about Dupes in ether one of those posts, nor exploits for that matter. "items of a dubious origin" =/= Dupes.

Before being made Guild Leader, I was Guild banker for 3 different guilds over the past 4 or 5 years. During that time I learned the hard way of 3 or 4 old guild bank exploits/tricks/scams that hackers/players use to get around Guild Bank permissions. Of the exploits, Blizzard has made attempts to fix them, in the past. But apparently they are some of those deep core game mechanics, like the hunter pet's Growl/cower/prowl, that defies fixes that doesn't cause other problems.

Those for the most part are the exploits Blizzard is referring to, in these matters.
Blue posts on the topic:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4885868541?page=1#2
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6079780920#15

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
08/06/2012 06:23 AMPosted by Ewing
Those for the most part are the exploits Blizzard is referring to, in these matters.

you have no idea what exploits they are referring to.

because they didn't say.
OP has responded:

08/06/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Tripps
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thread's over. Please take the bickering to General.
08/06/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Madisón
Thread's over. Please take the bickering to General.

i will now ask that Blizzard moderators lock this thread.

also i would ask scrinshee to remove the harassing statement to me, calling me out saying i'm being "combative" is a code of conduct violation.

you are in violation by using the forum to shame me.

also your post was of no value to this thread.

if you have a problem with my post report it and move on but don't call someone out and shame them.

http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct
08/06/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Sintoodoo
don't call someone out and shame them

08/06/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Sintoodoo
i would ask scrinshee to remove the harassing statement to me

Practice what you preach.

If you want to bicker with others, then please take it to another place. This thread has been resolved.

Now, you may have the last word. Good luck to you.