Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
I'm going to try benchmarking mine to see what it scores on synthetic stuff as well as WoW and such.

It should force the 7950 into the $300 range soon enough.
I'm still kinda debating on what card I'm going to upgrade to, and if I really want to wait for the Radeon 8000 cards to start coming out.

I'm definitely going to nab an i5-3570k in the next few weeks, and most likely an SSD plus bigger hard drive ( I still have 43 GB left on my 320 gb one >.>).

Those upgrades will probably cost about $450, less depending on how the i3-2120 goes for on E-Bay.

How much do you think a Radeon 6950 would go for on E-Bay? Depending on how much I think my card choices might differ
Probably about $150~180 max.
Yea. I'm looking at that side but it seems like they're using some older games that I really don't know how graphically intensive they are. But hopefully we'll see more benchmarks soon.
Sure, go for it
IT staff for a small business. Nothing much :(
Hey Kalg. I'm using your list to make a new computer all together because i'm using this crapheap laptop. Would this run well? and how high would the FPS hit for it?

• CPU: i5-2500k
• CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
• Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX Motherboard
• RAM: DDR3-1600 to accompany to the Z77 Motherboard (Must be 2 x 4GB RAM)
• Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7970 (Power Supply to run is 550W)
• Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W
• Hard Drive: Simple 1TB
• Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
• Keyboard: SteelSeries Shift, ZBoard, or Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
• Monitor: Acer S211HL
• Speakers: GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000 4-Piece Gaming Speakers
This is an overkill setup (it would run any game out there very well with max settings), and I noticed lack of an SSD. You should either spend more to add an SSD, or get a weaker graphics card and add in an SSD.

Are you going to overclock that CPU?
quick question kalg whats the diff between i5-2500($208) and i5-3450($198) and if i dont plan on oc it which one should i get ?
i5-2500 is roughly equal to i5-3450 (although i5-2500 has 200 MHz advantage in turbo clock, i5-3450 has 3%~10% performance improvement clock-by-clock vs. Sandy Bridge).

In other words, toss-up. It's your choice.
Kalg, had a quick question about a graphics card upgrade. I'm currently running a 560 ti and was wondering whether getting a second for SLI would be worth it or just spend the extra $ on a single card upgrade? I've never run an SLI setup before and was wondering what your thoughts were.
If possible, it's -always- better to have a single powerful GPU over SLi/XFire setup, but if you won't have the money needed to buy a single powerful GPU matching SLi setup for a long time, then SLi would be a good alternative.
What SSD do you recommend for my build?
Any well-known performance SSDs will work for you, although people like Samsung 830 and Intel 520 for performance, or Crucial m4 for reliability / price

Note that some of them may not come with a SATA cable, important because most mobos only come with 2, which is taken up by HDD and DVD drive
Any well-known performance SSDs will work for you, although people like Samsung 830 and Intel 520 for performance, or Crucial m4 for reliability / price

Note that some of them may not come with a SATA cable, important because most mobos only come with 2, which is taken up by HDD and DVD drive

Awesome, thanks. Also, how much will the build altogether now cost?
$1500ish
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but is recommended to get both a solid state drive and say, a 1 Tb hard drive? Is that so you have the 1 Tb for storage purposes? Is it possible to run games off an external hard drive?