Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 22 23 24 26 Next
Alienware desktop PCs are not recommended since they are severely overpriced for the parts you get. Don't bother with it.
So just to finalize what I am looking to get to run WoW flawlessly, and doing lots of Raids!!!

CASE: Cooler Master HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case
w/ 1x 230mm front fan 1x 140mm rear fan 1x 200mm top 1x 200mm side fan.

CPU: i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

CPU FAN: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator
(Single Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fan)

HDD: 500GB SATA-III 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
[Will only be playing World of Warcraft]

HDD2/SSD: 120 GB Intel 520 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

SOUND: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card

VIDEO CARD/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

All I want is to Raid with at least Normal Setting on World of Warcraft without any issues, and to play it on high-ultra when not raiding.
whats not great about this Builder series PSU? is it loud?
Builder series is somewhat poor because they use barely enough components to be acceptable. There's a good reason why these are so cheap on NewEgg.
well now you guys are sort of making me scarred of purchasing that PSU, I am just about to finalize my order now, but I want to make sure that I AM getting the right PSU..
again ill pitch in an extra $50 and/or another 100-150W that I dont necessarily need I dont think, to power my PC. As long as it works and there no problems then its all good.
well now you guys are sort of making me scarred of purchasing that PSU, I am just about to finalize my order now, but I want to make sure that I AM getting the right PSU..
again ill pitch in an extra $50 and/or another 100-150W that I dont necessarily need I dont think, to power my PC. As long as it works and there no problems then its all good.

the reason you want to spend a little more to get a good PSU is because when a power supply fails, they tend to surge out and blow the rest of your components as well. parts of your motherboard, RAM, your CPU itself, the video card.

i had a $2000 alienware once. whatever blew in there, it actually caught the motherboard on FIRE, right next to the the mobo's power connector. burned a hole right through. there were several other blackened places on the mobo as well.

and having that extra 100W or so isn't a bad thing. yeah, you don't need a 1200 watt beastmode PSU, but you DO want a little overhead room. you don't want the PSU to strain to push power to your components and then start to overheat.
10/07/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Kayko
No point in getting water cooling if ur not running an OC-able cpu/mobo. Builder series PSU's are that great but it's the best those websites offer, so thats fine. U'll max out wow effortlessly.

yeah but I want to keep my PC as cool as possible, so Kalg referred me to the supportive water cooling, full tower & the CPU Liquid Cooling Fan since I guess that will keep my PC/CPU cooler than the
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan

I have small room and I already have a 43in plasma TV that I keep on sometimes as well, lol.
10/08/2012 01:16 AMPosted by Murckya
have small room and I already have a 43in plasma TV that I keep on sometimes as well, lol.

keep in mind that even water cooling can't keep your cpu below the temperature of the air that's blowing through the radiator. if your room is hot due to the plasma TV and other stuff, the cooling system can only do so much.
Off-topic but:

Seems Trinity is an excellent overclocker. With LN, it broke 7 GHz barrier (natch, only one module active (2 integer cores)) -- on a fairly cheap motherboard and RAM.

If you give it a good cooling (cooled room + high-end liquid cooling), you can probably push it slightly beyond 5 GHz.
Off-topic but:

Seems Trinity is an excellent overclocker. With LN, it broke 7 GHz barrier (natch, only one module active (2 integer cores)) -- on a fairly cheap motherboard and RAM.

If you give it a good cooling (cooled room + high-end liquid cooling), you can probably push it slightly beyond 5 GHz.

i was considering trinity with hybrid crossfire, but i've been unable to find anything about the hybrid crossfire working with the 7950/70 GPUs, everything i've found online references using the 6000 series cards.
Eithris:

Despite the naming on these APUs (7xxxD), they aren't actually based on GCN cores used in actual 7xxx series graphics cards. They are based on old 6xxx series graphics cards, which is why they will only pair up with HD 6670 at most (with A10 / A8).
Eithris:

Despite the naming on these APUs (7xxxD), they aren't actually based on GCN cores used in actual 7xxx series graphics cards. They are based on old 6xxx series graphics cards, which is why they will only pair up with HD 6670 at most (with A10 / A8).

ah. is there possibly an expected iteration or evolution of trinity/piledriver that may take the hybrid crossfire up to being paired with the 7000 series GPU cores?
Yes, but APUs are always one generation behind (as of now). IE) When we get the next gen APU that will be compatible with current 7000 series, newest graphics card line up will be 8000 series.
ok. hmm. couple questions then. does the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX AM3+ motherboard support any trinity APU's or are those all FM2 socket?

are future evolutions of bulldozer, IE piledriver/streamroller, going to be rolled into APU's first or will there be AM3+ socket desktop versions without the APU integrated GPU thing?

see, my rig now is an AMD 965 black edition phenom II X4. got it overclocked to 4.0, but have heard of people going much higher. i'm considering building an extreme custom watercooled monster, using my 965, going to a bigger case. spending a good chunk of cash doesn't scare me as much as it used to now that i've tore this thing apart and put it back together so many times.

If trinity OC's like beastmode like that article talks, i'm wondering if the desktop CPU models may OC well enough to offset the price/performance difference that's kind of swaying me towards ivy bridge...
APUs use their own sockets and is not compatible with mainstream AMD CPU sockets.

Yes, and there won't be any AM3+ versions of APUs anytime soon.
GTX 650 Ti reviews are out, and it is as I expected.

It costs $150, slightly outperforms much cheaper HD 7770, and it does not beat HD 6870 / GTX 560, which can be found at the same price point as GTX 650 Ti nowadays.

Then there's the HD 7850. With rebates, these cards will only cost few bucks more than the GTX 650 Ti... and HD 7850 roflstomps the GTX 650 Ti with its eyes closed and hands tied behind its back.

Conclusion: GTX 650 Ti is a terrible buy unless price is only few bucks above HD 7770.
I haven't found it in this thread ...

But any information on the dell xps 15? The new one linked here :

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-l521x/pd

I'm looking to get a laptop for work that can also run wow and d3 with no framerate issues. Thanks for this feedback thread!
I did not recommend Dell because it's not a good choice for gaming.

It's way overpriced for the level of graphics card you get. For example, their cheapest $1300 model comes with GeForce 630M. That card is for laptops costing $600 or so.