World of Warcraft - Cost & Expansions

Customer Support
08/19/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Squibblez
I'd still love clarification from a blue, but I doubt that will happen.
Next blue will be in tomorrow around 9 ish PST, I'm afraid.
08/19/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Seiryu
The first time I heard of this discount promotion was from here. I actually never ran into any notice of it anywhere else. It's not hard of a stretch to imagine that many people are unaware of it.

yeah i dont think there is any official notice of this sale besides players but its been going on the entire time the presale has been since i found out by my starter account when mists presale began.

this is the best deal i can remember on wow since last holiday period even better then the 10 dollars each expansion they had like two months ago i think it was.
I agree with the SENTIMENT though.

The battle chest should be updated to include WOTLK. And after MoP is released, should include Cata.

Going forward it should always be
<everything bundled except newest expansion> = $20
<newest expansion> = $40

have sales be
<everything bundled> = $10
<newest expansion> = $20

Much simplier cost formula for new players.
Good lord, no. I don't have a huge problem with there being some kind of discounted way for new players to come to the game, but $30 sale for the whole thing? That would make me slightly cranky.
08/20/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Scrinshee
Good lord, no. I don't have a huge problem with there being some kind of discounted way for new players to come to the game, but $30 sale for the whole thing? That would make me slightly cranky.

Um, there was just a $20 sale for the whole thing, like, last week.

Bundle - $5
WotLK - $5
Cata - $10.

Was on sale last week or week before, at GameStop and Best Buy. I got a whole nother account for $20 to do RAF with leading up to MoP.
08/20/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Pallisade

Um, there was just a $20 sale for the whole thing, like, last week.

Bundle - $5
WotLK - $5
Cata - $10.

Was on sale last week or week before, at GameStop and Best Buy. I got a whole nother account for $20 to do RAF with leading up to MoP.

Right, but thats Gamestop/best buy doing that sale, not blizzard :)

Though ocasionaly blizzard does do this as well (last xmas time for example)
I'm aware, but with your math, that would only be another $10 for a whole new expansion. Having a sale once in a while is great, but giving people every expansion for $30 would be overkill. I don't think they should lower the price of a current expansion until the end of it's cycle like they did with Cata.
08/20/2012 09:40 AMPosted by Scrinshee
I'm aware, but with your math, that would only be another $10 for a whole new expansion. Having a sale once in a while is great, but giving people every expansion for $30 would be overkill. I don't think they should lower the price of a current expansion until the end of it's cycle like they did with Cata.

Right - just like it was 'just' $10 for cata last week?

I'm not saying it should be $30 the whole time, I'm saying, whenever Blizz feels like doing their 1 week only sale (which they did the week before GameStop/Best Buy did theirs), that should be the pricing, which is in line (actually a $10 increase) from what it was with Cata.

GameStop and Best Buy didn't have 1 week sales on Blizz games because they chose to, Blizzard told them too. Do you think they sell iPads at the same price everywhere else is because they want to? No, Apple directs their pricing.

Blizzard had a sale on the game three weeks ago, then two weeks ago they allowed their resellers to do the same thing (to dump inventory before the new expansion). Which they did. The first GameStop I went to was out of WotLK, I had to drive a different one to grab it.

My pricing does make 1 assumption:
That people aren't going to play without at least the next-to-newest expansion (IE: there is currently no one playing with just the battlechest, and I'm talking main account, not a second one they bought for RAF or something).

Really the full retail pricing I proposed is centered around an entry fee of $60. People aren't going to want to join a game for more than that. Which is why you get a free 30 days with the battlechest (so it doesn't push you to game + sub fee at the same time). They should probably increase that to 60 days, better chance for people to get hooked anyways.

There will be no sale on MoP regardless of the price for a while anyways. I'm sure (or at least I hope) they have people that will determine when expansion purchasing has dropped off significantly enough to have a sale to squeeze some good revenue out of it.
Just to make sure, and sorry for my noobness, you NEED Cataclysm in order to jump to Pandaria? I can't make the jump straight from Lich, right?
08/26/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Gahlok
you NEED Cataclysm in order to jump to Pandaria?

Correct.

The must be sequential.

Battlechest>WOTLK>Cataclysm>MoP
08/26/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Gahlok
Just to make sure, and sorry for my noobness, you NEED Cataclysm in order to jump to Pandaria? I can't make the jump straight from Lich, right?

I suggest picking up Cataclysm while its on sale.
If you wait until Christmas time to purchase the expansion packages, then you can get all of the expansions except Pandaria for no more than $50.
Unfortunately Kaitlan, while your advice is helpful, the OP left this thread more than a month ago :(
WORLD OF WARCRAFT COMPLETE GAME
THE BURNING CRUSADE EXPANSION SET
THE WRATH OF THE LICH KING EXPANSION SET
INCLUDES FIRST MONTH OF GAME TIME
256-PAGE BEGINNER'S GUIDE FROM BRADY GAMES

$20

so I guess all I'd need is cataclysm and MoP?
Yes, that is correct. But as someone else indicated, you probably should have made your own thread :p.
yes Rsmorex they recently combined wotlk into the battlechest so all you need to buy is battlechest cataclysm and MoP but at the time this thread was new that was not the case.
I understand that I just found this through a google search to see how much it would cost to buy the game took me a couple more searches to actually find the monthly costs lol. But I am glad this thread exists. Because I'd have ended up buying it all not seeing the upgrade account button cause unlike somebody here said I was not prompted to go to account management to change my password. Also I wasn't sure if I needed to buy it all or just what I wanted to use. This thread was extrememly helpful.
I'm am still only a trial account so I cannot start my own thread but I need to know before I upgrade: if I do the online 59.99 full upgrade do I still get the free 1 month of membership that the battle chest comes with or do I have to pay my first month?
The Battle Chest will come with 30 free days. After that, you will need to pay to keep the account active.
I know that I am talking about the full upgrade to MoP online for 59.99 does that count as buying the battle chest since I am sure you won't get the beginners guide.