Lore Characters That Aren't Really Dead

Story Forum
So, lore characters, some important, some not, have died frequently in WoW Lore. This thread is dedicated to the ones that I think are not really dead. Feel free to post your opinions/ideas.

Malygos

Being the Aspect of Magic, couldn't he have just made that be a very vivid image of himself that we killed? Maybe he is hiding out due to his injuries? We did leave him unattending while fighting his "minions".

Illidan Stormrage

We just left his body there with Maiev Shadowsong, who turns out was starting to go crazy. Her life is nothing without hunting Illidan, so maybe she "ressurected" him some how, and he also hiding out somewhere in the Twisting Nether?

Hakkar

I fully believe that Hakkar is still alive. Then again, he never really died. The remaining Gurubashi (remember there only has to be a few) could bring this powerful lore character back.

***********SPOILERS... SKIP THE NEXT TWO IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM***************

Garrosh Hellscream

I don't think that when we "kill" him in Mists of Pandaria, he will die. My theory: he is turning to Demon Blood, and will probably allign himself with Kil'Jaeden.

Rhonin

So, this is the big spoiler I warned you about. So, Rhonin is dieng in the Siege of Theramore, as the Horde destroy it. Rhonin will be the casualty, and Jaina is taking his place as leader of Dalaran. I just have a hard time believing he will die for real, as he is such an important part of lore and a very powerful mage.
Hakkar is quite obviously alive. We freed him.

I used to think Malygos would return in Cataclysm, after all, he did just kind of fall into space, but he didn't so, I think he's dead for realsies.
We also tore out Malygos' heart, looted items from it, and then gave it to Krasus. Possibly used to empower his buddy into becoming an aspect, depending on which lore you paid attention to
08/18/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Mastinor
Malygos

Doubtfull considering that Kalecgos was made the Aspect of Magic. If Malygos was alivve he would certainly not let that fly.

Illidan Stormrage

Plausible but I would rather not see it happen.

Hakkar

Well apparently he can be resurrected.

About your fourth character, we don't even know if they will die. It is likely but still not known yet.
Malygos

Being the Aspect of Magic, couldn't he have just made that be a very vivid image of himself that we killed? Maybe he is hiding out due to his injuries? We did leave him unattending while fighting his "minions".

I'm sure his spawn would have sensed him, or something. You know--magic. If not after his defeat, then at some point when a new Aspect was chosen.

Illidan Stormrage

We just left his body there with Maiev Shadowsong, who turns out was starting to go crazy. Her life is nothing without hunting Illidan, so maybe she "ressurected" him some how, and he also hiding out somewhere in the Twisting Nether?

There is a theory that since demons can only really die if killed in the Twisting Nether, that Illidan(despite being killed in Outland, which is partially in the Twisting Nether) could have "respawned" somewhere out there since he was part demon.

However, if he has, he's likely in the hands of the Burning Legion now, and his soul is likely being tortured by Kil'jaedan(or his minions).

I fully believe that Hakkar is still alive. Then again, he never really died. The remaining Gurubashi (remember there only has to be a few) could bring this powerful lore character back.

Hakkar is a spirit, and spirits don't actually die--they just go back to their own spirit realm. Cataclysm touched on this a bit in Mt.Hyjal quests.

Garrosh Hellscream

I don't think that when we "kill" him in Mists of Pandaria, he will die. My theory: he is turning to Demon Blood, and will probably allign himself with Kil'Jaeden.

I already made a thread explaining my theory on what will likely happen to Garrosh, or at least how I think it will all go down. I have it book-marked for when I can prove to you all how awesome and RIGHT I am ._.
About your choices:

- Malygos is dead. Unless he pulls a 'Tempest-Keep-was-merely-a-setback' kind of deal :P

- I wouldn't be surprised if Illidan returned. Didn't Metzen say something regarding that during Blizzcon or in an interview?

- Don't really know much about Hakkar's background history, so no comment.

- I'm going to wait and see whether Garrosh really bites the dust, but I'm thinking he's (a) been Sha-touched, (b) drinking demon blood, or, (c) went stir-crazy.

- Same with above, I'll wait on Tides of War and MoP concerning Rhonin's situation.

Extra note: The only way to make Maiev sane again is give her a good hard smack across the face. She wanted Illidan dead and she got it; she should move on, but no~ she had to go crazy :P If it worked in Fairy Tail, it can work in WoW :P
08/18/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Armitage
- I wouldn't be surprised if Illidan returned. Didn't Metzen say something regarding that during Blizzcon or in an interview?

Someone asked something about Illidan and Metzen made a comment on how he was a sucker for redemption stories. I'm pretty sure he asked if people wanted to see Illidan brought back or not and there was quite an applause.

Then again, he also got the same reaction when he asked if people wanted to see more out-there Sci-fi stuff like in TBC.
08/18/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Armitage
she had to go crazy

She always had a crazy obsession with Illidan.
About your choices:

- Malygos is dead. Unless he pulls a 'Tempest-Keep-was-merely-a-setback' kind of deal :P

- Don't really know much about Hakkar's background history, so no comment.

- I'm going to wait and see whether Garrosh really bites the dust, but I'm thinking he's (a) been Sha-touched, (b) drinking demon blood, or, (c) went stir-crazy.

- Same with above, I'll wait on Tides of War and MoP concerning Rhonin's situation.

Extra note: The only way to make Maiev sane again is give her a good hard smack across the face. She wanted Illidan dead and she got it; she should move on, but no~ she had to go crazy :P If it worked in Fairy Tail, it can work in WoW :P

Did we really just make a fairy tail reference in the wow forum? SHARK SUCCESFULLY JUMPED EVERYBODY..Anyways. What character are you talking about? From fairy tail i mean...
I don't think Deathwing is dead because all we killed were a bunch of tentacles.
Anyways.. I think something cool would be if Maiev and Illidan. Had a dual redemption story or something like that. Would be crazy ironic and would be interesting as hell to read...Plus the night elves need more heroes willing to be badass. What with Tyrande being wussified and Mal being nuetral.
08/18/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Shredow
What character are you talking about? From fairy tail i mean...

Jellal.

Also, I AM A SHARK. W00T!

08/18/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Zurtrik
I don't think Deathwing is dead because all we killed were a bunch of tentacles.

Can you imagine an undead Deathwing? Azeroth would be boned. (Maybe?)

08/18/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Shredow
Mal being nuetral.

What is so bad about being neutral? I never understood that (but let's save that discussion for a different thread). And Tyrande might play some sort of part in MoP, because didn't she have a vision and sent people out to Pandaria to investigate it or something along the lines?
08/18/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Armitage
What character are you talking about? From fairy tail i mean...

Jellal.

Also, I AM A SHARK. W00T!

Can you imagine an undead Deathwing? Azeroth would be boned. (Maybe?)

Mal being nuetral.

What is so bad about being neutral? I never understood that (but let's save that discussion for a different thread). And Tyrande might play some sort of part in MoP, because didn't she have a vision and sent people out to Pandaria to investigate it or something along the lines?

He's one of the rulers of night elf society. The horde is burning night elf society. There is nothing wrong with being neutral when it works...BUT it doesn't make sense to stay neutral in that situation... Also..Its been hinted that Jellal Dies in this arc..Have fun with that.
08/18/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Shredow
Also..Its been hinted that Jellal Dies in this arc..Have fun with that.

That I shall see for myself :P

Since we're on the topic of lore characters that aren't really dead...if I hadn't made it clear enough before, I will now: Turalyon and Alleria. They're more than likely fighting the Good Fight against the Burning Legion on Argus. If not on Argus, then probably on a planet that's hot with them. Maybe even the Nathrezim homeworld. They're just begging for a comeback.
Characters shouldn't be brought back from the dead unless there is both a reason to bring them back and a logical way to do so. And no, "maybe the multiple stab wounds they suffered weren't fatal and the heroes who were sent to kill them somehow failed to notice this" doesn't count.
08/18/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Armitage
Also..Its been hinted that Jellal Dies in this arc..Have fun with that.

That I shall see for myself :P

Since we're on the topic of lore characters that aren't really dead...if I hadn't made it clear enough before, I will now: Turalyon and Alleria. They're more than likely fighting the Good Fight against the Burning Legion on Argus. If not on Argus, then probably on a planet that's hot with them. Maybe even the Nathrezim homeworld. They're just begging for a comeback.
I actually really wonder what the heck happened to those two.
08/18/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Arberus
Characters shouldn't be brought back from the dead unless there is both a reason to bring them back and a logical way to do so. And no, "maybe the multiple stab wounds they suffered weren't fatal and the heroes who were sent to kill them somehow failed to notice this" doesn't count.

I wager the whole part demon is what is going to be used which is FAIR. Personally I'm more likely to believe something about his spirit being used and appearing to Malfurion in some way.
Illidan is as much part demon as he is part Night elf, so I believe that much like other demons, he has the ability to regenerate himself after 'death' unless killed in a certain place/way with overwhelming power like Archimonde was destroyed. Questing in Felwood has you watching events from his past, implying that if he returns, its not as a villain.
For certain types of creatures (like Old Gods, Ancients, liches, elementals and demons), death really is just a setback. Some take longer to recover than others, but unless they've been dealt with in very particular ways, it shouldn't come as a surprise when they return.
The Nexus / Black Temple / Zul'Gurub / Orgrimmar / Theramore were ALL MMMMERRREELLY A SSEETTTBBAAAACCCCKKK!!!! No, but seriously, you forgot Kael'Thas, if anyone's gonna get a mystery res...

Honestly, this is all rather misinformed. Malygos was corrupted by N'Zoth and would've served him in Cataclysm if he was still kicking. Hakkar was never dead as he is an ancient like / immortal being. Garrosh will either be dead in 5.3 or a first tier boss in 6.0 / 7.0 for the Old Gods / Burning Legion. And Rhonin is just a mage, not a god or anyone who can get ressed in the normal progression of events.

If anyone is going to get ressed it's Illidan, and it's likely that 4.3 / Well of Eternity was the end for him.