Shadow Raiding: the Primer

Priest
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
tl;dr
08/25/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Anell
tl;dr

08/19/2012 12:41 AMPosted by Woaden
Be warned though that I intend this to be fairly comprehensive (aka long), so feel free to skim through to sections most relevant to you.
I am human, please correct me.

If anyone feels an addition or change is warranted, please suggest!

I noticed an error: it doesn't link to dusknoir.net. And a real error: the PVP thread link is missing the ID at the end.

Awesome thread; voted for sticky.
08/25/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Dusknoir
I noticed an error: it doesn't link to dusknoir.net. And a real error: the PVP thread link is missing the ID at the end.

Someone really should make one so I can link it!

There will be a lot of content changes coming over the next couple days. You will be in there :)
Thank you Woaden. I am requesting a sticky.

I very much appreciate the detail myself. I have not played shadow ever to any extent, but need it as a dps off-spec for MoP. So this is made to order for me.

Sticky please!
08/25/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Woaden
Someone really should make one so I can link it!

There's a stickied (and outdated) Shadow PVP thread! I sort of remember seeing another non-stickied one within the past few months.
Liked, and Sticky Requested :)
Great guide and voted for sticky as well.

Few things that come to mind going over haste caps for SW:P+2 and VT+2. When lust is cast there would be no benefit for refreshing DoTs as they reached their maximum potential correct? To save GDC it's safe to assume it will come down to MF spam all the way through lust (given nothing procs or low proc chances). Please correct me if I am wrong as I am trying to adjust to changes.

Also looking over sims in bis FDCL+TOF outperforms all other talent choices from Patchwerk to Lightmovement, while MB+DI wins on heavy movement fights. Which makes sense in a way. This would require Spriests to go pick 2 shadow specs to adjust to each fight (given no class trainer to change specs). I find this to be an issue for progression if I am asked to off heal on a fight or 2. What are your thoughts on this? Would you go with "safer" spec that can benefit both or would you spend time respecing for each fight depending on mechanics of it ?

Keep up a good work!
08/26/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Fantacy
When lust is cast there would be no benefit for refreshing DoTs as they reached their maximum potential correct?

Bloodlust is one of the few times your dots can obtain otherwise unobtainable plateaus.

08/26/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Fantacy
(given no class trainer to change specs).

You can swap your talents using the new MoP version of Dust of Disappearance. It works on glyphs and talents. The only thing you need to see a trainer for now is to switch specializations (ex Shadow to Disc).
When lust is cast there would be no benefit for refreshing DoTs as they reached their maximum potential correct?

Bloodlust is one of the few times your dots can obtain otherwise unobtainable plateaus.

With heroic gear, come MoP, it should be possible to reach haste caps 7913 (7708 goblin) or even 8085 for DP+2 correct? At that point bloodlust/timewarp/heroism would still effect DoTs? Did haste values were changed from Cata? I am basing my questions on http://www.simulationcraft.org/Shadow_Haste_Breakpoints.txt

(given no class trainer to change specs).

You can swap your talents using the new MoP version of Dust of Disappearance. It works on glyphs and talents. The only thing you need to see a trainer for now is to switch specializations (ex Shadow to Disc).

Didn't know that so thanks for info.
Yeah except for SW:I most all of the 9 combos of talents in several different encounter types are roughly even, with MB + (ToF / DI) edging out every so slightly in general.

Although like you've seen on TV lately this Simcraft poll is within the player skill margin of error. So I would still call them on par with each other (except SW:I).

Above the 8085 (Non Goblin) Haste rating plateau Haste devalues to below Mastery, BUT DoTs are still able to gain Hasted ticks well above this level and other spells down to the 1 second GCD hard cap.
I thought your overview was great. Great way to get into MoP. I too was saddened to hear about shadowpriest.com. I used to go to that site often.
Quick Question as to why crit is slightly higher than mastery? My assumtion has always been that mastery scales better due to DR and giving 1.45% vs 1% for approximatly the same rating

Does the nuke damage make up such a large relative portion vs Periodic in MoP? Also does talent choice affect Stat Weights because I heard some speculation about mastery bonus ticks still having a chance to proc extra MS and MB?

Also I assume the more mastery and more crit you have the higher they go up relative to haste because of the chance for duplicate ticks critting?

Please correct me if any of my assumtions are wrong I just wanna try to be as up to date as possible on theoreycrafting and I believe knowing that "the Why" is more important than just knowing what is going on
I'm so sorry for neglecting this the last few days. I swear a full update in the next 24 hours.
Sticky requested. Great work.
Crit is better than Mastery by a decent amount, but yes PPs can change based on your talents and gear. That's why I recommend to use Simcraft to find you own scaling factors.
I think this should be at the top, no?

Also it was fun being not the last damage on fights other than ship for once. I have the worst gear for my Shadow spec out of all our dps D:
Crit is better than mastery because mastery can only affect your DoT spells (mind flay included??), while crit affects all your spells and also procs shadowy apparitions off of SW:P ticks.
Mastery effects SW:P, VT, DP, MF and MSeer as far as I am awear. So the only damage spell that's not effected by it is MB and MS if you are speced into FDCL
If I read the tooltip correctly, it should also not affect the instant portion of DP, or SW:P, and not effect SW:D at all.

I don't know how crit or mastery effect mindbender/sfiend, but I would assume they would inherit your crit, but they are pets, not DoTs, so shouldn't get any bonus from mastery.