A guide to the elven years

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
First off, let me say that this is a guide meant to help others. Some may find it useful, others may disagree with it. Do note that this guide will not be a very long one, as I want to keep it simple and understandable. With that said and done.. Let's get started!

In Human Years, AND WHY IT DOES NOT WORK

In human years is a term I've seen more then I'd like in my RP career. It's a term that makes no sense at all as well. Why? Well let me explain...

The term "In Human Years" is exactly what it says it is, the number of years that has passed through the eyes of a human. Which means that an elf that has lived 110 or 320 years (the Quel'dorei/Sin'dorei & Kaldorei social equivalents to the Human 21) has still lived 110 or 320 years of life in the eyes of a human. While an elf that is "21 In Human Years" has lived 21 years in the eyes of a human.

A more appropriate term would be "In elven years." This lets other Elven players understand that the character is considered a child, teen, or young adult to their society, but is considered old to the human population.

The Physical Aging Process

Let's say that you (The reader) want to RP an elf, a Kaldorei to be specific, and a relatively young one at that, perhaps in her/his early 100s. This means he/she should be mentally childish and ignorant, as well as physically small and child like, right?

WRONG

Very, very wrong. Now, before I get complaints on this let me ask a simple question... How would a race survive if their infant/toddler/teenager cycle was 100+ years? The answer is simple really: They would not survive. The elements of Azeroth would obliterate them from existence. Why is this fact important?

Because, Elves age like humans to a certain extent. Humans are physically and mentally prepared at the age of 20-21. The same goes for Elves. By the age of 21 elves are physically and mentally prepared for the world, they should know how most things function and are prepared to intake more information etc. As life goes on, the elves won't age physically (Until a certain age) but they will continue aging mentally.

The Social Process

Because of the elven lifespan, this has given them the chance to change their social ways to easily decipher the Children from the Elderly. To a human a 90 year old Quel'dorei or Sin'dorei is still an elderly adult even if they do not look like it, while to the normal Quel'dorei and Sin'dorei society a 90 year old would be considered a child or teenager.

What it means is that, an a human will treat a 90 year old elf differently then another, elderly elf would. That's about it really. [Ah, as Sydric pointed out in the forums, this applies only if the Elderly elf or the Human know the age of said fictional 90 year old elf.]

Lastly, I'll put the Childhood & Adulthood ages for the Quel'dorei, Sin'dorei, & Kaldorei.

Kaldorei Children or Teen: Less then 110 (Social wise) (Source: WoWpedia)
Quel'dorei & Sin'dorei Children or Teen: Younger then 25 (Social wise) (Source: WoWpedia)

Kaldorei Adulthood: 110-300 (Source: WoWpedia)
Quel'dorei & Sin'dorei Adulthood: 25-75 (Source: WoWpedia)

(Do note that these ages factor in that elves usually die from war, sickness, etc. Not old age.)

The End/Other Notes

If you have any questions, post them on the thread and I'll do my best to answer. Criticism is welcomed as well as help on any grammatical errors. Lastly, do NOT stop this from RPing a young elf if you wish to do so, do it. Though it is not my style, Elves still have children and a 1-19 year old elf would most assuredly be possible in Azeroth. I hope this guide helped out at least a little bit in the RP community.
I just have to say one thing... a 300-year-old nelf is barely the physical and mental equivalent of an eighteen-year-old human, which would make a 100-year-old nelf the physical and mental equivalent of a six-year-old girl. That's all I have to say right now.
My question for you, is did you read the guide at all before replying? As stated in my guide...

"Now, before I get complaints on this let me ask a simple question... How would a race survive if their infant/toddler/teenager cycle was 100+ years? The answer is simple really: They would not survive. The elements of Azeroth would obliterate them from existence."

As I stated, the hostile environment which is Azeroth would have wiped them into extinction, especially the first of their species. Of course, if you believe that a Kaldorei could survive Azeroth with the mind and body of a child for hundreds of years, then that is your belief. Good luck with it.
Nice guide, that helps me with a few things to be honest :P

Would probably help if you post up sources of where you get the information from (if any that is)
The term "In Human Years" is exactly what it says it is, the number of years that has passed through the eyes of a human. Which means that an elf that has lived 110 or 320 years (the Quel'dorei/Sin'dorei & Kaldorei social equivalents to the Human 21) has still lived 110 or 320 years of life in the eyes of a human. While an elf that is "21 In Human Years" has lived 21 years in the eyes of a human.

A more appropriate term would be "In elven years." This lets other Elven players understand that the character is considered a child, teen, or young adult to their society, but is considered old to the human population.

"Equivalent to a 23-year old Human" would also work, and be less confusing.

People generally just say "23 in Human years" even if it isn't exactly correct because there's differing sources on when exactly an elf ages or comes of age.

An elf saying "23 in Human years" really won't be that confusing to anyone, because you're getting the point across. It's really just a matter of not quite using the right word.
Awesome thanks Falnira! This helped me a lot. I should change Nyst's age when I can get back online.
Human years is a rather silly phrase. Does time on Azeroth pass any faster or slower for humans, elves, or any other race? No, a year on Azeroth is the same amount of time for everyone. If any race should go by a different length year, it should be the Draenei and Orcs since they come from different planets who's years are probably a different length then Azeroth's. If you have a 100 year old human and a 100 year old elf, those 100 years passed by at the same rate for the both of them. Don't confuse time spans with life spans.
I'm sorry to say, but i'm not really sure this guide is good for much. There's little to no lore on the aging process of High (Blood) Elves and Night Elves.

I mean, most of the time it's said that High Elves only live to be about fifteen-hundred, (and that's still really pushing it), while Anasterian lived to be upwards of four-thousand years old.

In addition, there's really no lore on High (or Blood) Elven ages of physical, mental, or social maturity.
I'm sorry to say, but I'm not really sure this guide is good for much. There's little to no lore on the aging process of High (Blood) Elves and Night Elves.

I mean, most of the time it's said that High Elves only live to be about fifteen-hundred, (and that's still really pushing it), while Anasterian lived to be upwards of four-thousand years old.

In addition, there's really no lore on High (or Blood) Elven ages of physical, mental, or social maturity.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Life_spans#cite_note-Encyc_339-14

Please direct your attention to citations four, five, and eight.
I take issue with your saying a human would treat a 90 year old elf differently. For one thing, unless the elf in question tells the human how old they are, there is no way the human would know. Humans judge a person of any race on how they "appear" and since the other species will mature at a different rate, they can only guess at their age.
@ Sydric: Good point Sydric, let me edit that a bit!

@ Atheinia: My point exactly.

@ Slaye: Though the term "In human years" does get the point across to me it can also bother me somewhat, so I made this little "Guide" (If you can call it that). It's a better way then doing what most people do, which is whisper the person who has a MRP that bothers them and state why it bothers them. Right?

@ Lia: The sources for the Child/Adulthood ages is from WoWwiki. The "In Human Years" doesn't have a source because well, a human who knows an elf that has lived this amount of years, means the elf has lived that many of "Human" years. The physical aging process is honestly a theory based on logic (I just don't believe an elf could live 300 years if their mind and body wasn't prepared by their 20s) and the social idea is once again a theory.
*request sticky*

*and like*
08/22/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Falnira
@ Lia: The sources for the Child/Adulthood ages is from WoWwiki. The "In Human Years" doesn't have a source because well, a human who knows an elf that has lived this amount of years, means the elf has lived that many of "Human" years. The physical aging process is honestly a theory based on logic (I just don't believe an elf could live 300 years if their mind and body wasn't prepared by their 20s) and the social idea is once again a theory.

WoWwiki is unreliable.
08/22/2012 09:52 PMPosted by Kuulinian

WoWwiki is unreliable.

Thanks to you, I'll be using WoWpedia more often. As well as changing the 'Adult' + 'Child' ages on my little guide. Thanks a ton!
Also recently, I don't know of any elves who DID die of old age and we knew when they were born.

Well saved for the ones who "don't count" because they were probably extending their own life in some way.
I would like to make a quick address to the "in human years" thing. I've always pictured it as being used more in the terms of, say "in dog years".

You know, one year counts as seven for dogs, however their first year counts more like 14 years because they're physically matured...

In which case you would say "3058 elven years, 40 human years", in referring to their actual age, and the age they appear. Personally, I've always had a bit of an issue with the whole aging thing, and trying to figure out a respectable age for my night elf, then working around timelines to see what would be in her history.

Eventually I came up with 300 some xD. We'll say in her mid 300s.
It's all relative and pretty much how you look at it. The game has only been out for how many years now and we are talking about races that live tens of thousands of years?

Put in perspective, most people use the term "in human years" to denote the equivalent in mental and social attitude as well as physical attributes. That said, I have seen 16 year olds act more mature than a 40 something. The term is used in a general and mostly generic form to give a basic idea. I really do not think they mean it in a literal sense.

I usually put my age in the MRP as something general, like young adult or middle years. I think giving a definute age is irrelevant anyway. I mean if you are playing a very young child I find it almost silly. It is my understanding that very young children are not out and about much anyway, and the only game models are npcs who you cannot make a character look like at all.

If you want to portray a baby or a young child maybe you should try a different game. This is just my opinion. This is World of Warcraft, not a kiddie playground.
^ What Sydric said.

Except for the kid thing xD. My one charrie has a kid, but I've yet to make him an alt. He's just roleplayed on his mommy's charrie xD. And will be until I decide to age him up.
I would like to make a quick address to the "in human years" thing. I've always pictured it as being used more in the terms of, say "in dog years".

You know, one year counts as seven for dogs, however their first year counts more like 14 years because they're physically matured...

In which case you would say "3058 elven years, 40 human years", in referring to their actual age, and the age they appear. Personally, I've always had a bit of an issue with the whole aging thing, and trying to figure out a respectable age for my night elf, then working around timelines to see what would be in her history.

Eventually I came up with 300 some xD. We'll say in her mid 300s.

The only problem I have with the "In Dog Years" is the idea that it suddenly just.. Stops. They physically age quickly, then it suddenly slows down? But yes! That could also work! But, I really wish we (The gamers) Would get something official from Blizzard about it.

Do elves age quickly and slow down? Do they age like humans but physically cease once they hit their twenties? Do they age -slower- then humans and that's why they're so young looking for such a long time? Or perhaps they've somehow survived 100 years or so until adulthood? Everyone has their own take on it. xD

As for RP style... The youngest character I've RPed was 19 and a human. The oldest? I can't really put a set age on her seeing as she's a Death Knight and frankly lost count.
One year for a human is the same amount of time as it is for a blood elf. They will have both aged one year. They're still the same age, t's just that, at one point, blood and night elves will start to both physically and, I assume, mentally age slower than a human would. A 100-year-old nelf would look and, mostly likely, think like a six-year-old human. Wanted to say that.