Bueller?
I tried this. At step 4 where I typed:
wine -opengl Wow.exe

It returned the following error message:
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\-opengl.exe"

Running:
Ubuntu 11.10
wine 1.5.5

I found opengl.dll, but no opengl.exe when I looked in the directory of the erro message.

Any thoughts on what is going on and how to repair it?
Thanks!

The command is wrong. Should be wine Wow.exe -opengl, when inside the installation folder
I noticed the other day. They now have a 1.5 wine just for diablo 3. I am wondering if this will also work with MOP. Due to the fact they both now use a agent.exe.
I noticed that Wine 1.4 had problems with downloading patches because of a regression introduced sometime in the develpment branch that led up to it (Wine 1.3.x series). However, it was discovered and fixed in Wine 1.4.1. The new 5.0.4 patch, though, introduced new issues, and I had to update to the new 1.5.x development branch to make it work again (specifically 1.5.11 at the moment). Now WoW runs mostly correctly.

However, if I use OpenGL mode I get no arrow on the map, and missing parts in the portraits for you on your equipment screen and your mounts and pets in their screens. If, on the other hand I switch to Direct3D9, I get no portrait in the upper left hand corner of the screen and atrocious framerates. If I could get reasonable framerates, then I would use Direct3D9. If the missing images would be restored for OpenGL, I would be perfectly content to run that. I would just like one of the two versions to run acceptably.
I noticed that Wine 1.4 had problems with downloading patches because of a regression introduced sometime in the develpment branch that led up to it (Wine 1.3.x series). However, it was discovered and fixed in Wine 1.4.1. The new 5.0.4 patch, though, introduced new issues, and I had to update to the new 1.5.x development branch to make it work again (specifically 1.5.11 at the moment). Now WoW runs mostly correctly.

However, if I use OpenGL mode I get no arrow on the map, and missing parts in the portraits for you on your equipment screen and your mounts and pets in their screens. If, on the other hand I switch to Direct3D9, I get no portrait in the upper left hand corner of the screen and atrocious framerates. If I could get reasonable framerates, then I would use Direct3D9. If the missing images would be restored for OpenGL, I would be perfectly content to run that. I would just like one of the two versions to run acceptably.

Make sure to double check your wine configuration. It's almost default procedure to use winetricks and select the appropriate configurations. As version 1.5, you should observer very little differences regarding performance when switching directx 9 or opengl (given the same set of ingame parameters).

About the missing frames, it was introduced during patch, i believe, and it's related to opengl only. If you use the dressing room, you can zoom in your character and see him under the character tab frame. Not game breaking but very annoying.
Got the game to work, sort of, but the sound stutters, the graphics freeze, and when I log out it throws me all the way out of the OS.

According to the Ubuntu forums,

If using Wine causes very nasty problems like system freezes requiring a hardware reset or the xserver crashing and dumping you back to the login screen, then there is a deeper problem with your system that Wine is simply exposing. The most common cause of this is problematic drivers. Upgrading to the latest Ubuntu release can often solve these problems.

But I just upgraded to 12.04 and there are no updates pending.
I tried to follow along the best I could, but I'm just too new with ubuntu to understand some of the steps in the link. basicly, I can log in, choose a character, then when I'm about to enter game it has to force close because of a deficiency in wine, Before I could even log in I had to change the graphics in config.wtf to opengl, which allowed me to log in, before I did that the user agreement box was all jumbled and couldn't accept. I've updated my wine, but beyond that I have no idea whats causing this.
Gonna have to wait cupcake. Someone will figure out where you are at. There is a new wine version being worked on. I am kinda new to linux and kinda not, I was on the microsoft payroll for 12 years. So it can be a challenge for me at times also. I no longer use windows, so it's good you dropped vista ;)

Is it me, Or was the move blizzard did with the agent setup a way to weed out linux users so only windows works. Kind of a crappy setup on their part. Especially if someone wanted to move the wow folder to a different pc via usb pen. Must have a pack with microsoft. Anyways, there is always a work around. Especially when you can open virtualbox and run windows inside linux. Which any wow setup blizzard designed, would still run regardless.

If all fails. I can setup a fp server and send you the game and you can just play it by clicking wow-64.exe.
I blame my boyfriend and his mom :( if it weren't for them I wouldn't even be playing wow! :( I'll keep checking back though, this thread is useful.
cupcakerone, I'd try to follow these steps:
  • Download recent version of wine http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
  • Open a terminal and go to installation folder. Execute the command padsp wine Wow.exe -opengl if you already have the installation done. If not, change Wow.exe for Launcher.exe or World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe.
  • if there is still an issue post patch, go to your /home/yourusernamefolder and do ls -al Check for folders starting with ".wine". Delete or rename them, then winetricks Default prefix > dll components> dx9, vcrun2008,winhttp,wininet. Then redo the steps above.
  • If worked before the patch, it's very likely to still work now unless you were on a very very low end video card (mine is 4 years old and still going strong)
    cupcakerone, I'd try to follow these steps:
    Download recent version of wine http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
    Open a terminal and go to installation folder. Execute the command
    padsp wine Wow.exe -opengl
    if you already have the installation done. If not, change Wow.exe for Launcher.exe or World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe.
    if there is still an issue post patch, go to your /home/yourusernamefolder and do
    ls -al
    Check for folders starting with ".wine". Delete or rename them, then
    winetricks
    Default prefix > dll components> dx9, vcrun2008,winhttp,wininet. Then redo the steps above.
    If worked before the patch, it's very likely to still work now unless you were on a very very low end video card (mine is 4 years old and still going strong)

I'm not sure how to navigate to certain folders in terminal, I've been on ubuntu for about two weeks. I'm also not sure on the other steps, so if you could dumb it down to a novice user I'd appreciate it :)
    09/04/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Cupcakeroni
    I'm not sure how to navigate to certain folders in terminal, I've been on ubuntu for about two weeks. I'm also not sure on the other steps, so if you could dumb it down to a novice user I'd appreciate it :)
    You can navigate through your file browser and right click > open terminal here.

To navigate in a terminal environment you need 2 commands. First is ls (it lists what's in there, such folders and files) and cd (this one allow one to move from one folder to another, for instance 'cd /etc' and you reach the /etc folder).

As an example, my Wow folder is located @ /home/user/Games/Warcraft. I just do a 'cd /home/user/Games/Warcraft' (you can use tab key to autocomplete, makes it really fast). Your folder probably is different. If it is located under /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/program\ files/World\ of\ Warcraft, make sure to not delete or rename the .wine folder like I pointed before. That would remove your installation. Just skip that step if it's the case. Also, you notice that white spaces need to be typed as '\ '.

I'm sorry you have to go through this experience, it should be as easy as 2-clicks on the executable by now. But don't give up. There is a plethora of online documentation and support to play on linux.
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Wow.exe"

I keep getting this while trying to execute the first step.
    I'm reinstalling everything and retrying. blah
    I tried this. At step 4 where I typed:
    wine -opengl Wow.exe

It returned the following error message:
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\-opengl.exe"

Someone said it backwards:

wine Wow.exe -opengl

that would be the order.

Still no trouble with opensuse 12.1. I added the wine repository when I went to opensuse 12.1 (from 11.3) before this patch. That gave me wine 1.5.11. Today, or was it yesterday?, it upgraded to 1.5.12; Still no problems.
    This may or may not help, but deleting all addons, rm -R the WTF dir,
    To update wine I added the wine repository https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Then removed the old version of wine, apt-get remove wine

Update apt-get update

install new wine apt-get install wine

upgrade local drivers such as nvidia apt-get upgrade

Do not just run the Wow.exe, wine the launcher, and in options, choose the 32 bit wow client.

WoW is now running on clean vanilla wine though I will be moving it to it's own prefix in prep for other games. The only issue I am suffering from at the moment is opengl bugs like non 3d dressing rooms, arrows missing from maps. I do not see a difference from running the direct x version rather then native opengl.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything, and trying to transfer wow over from the desktop, I still can't get it up and running.
    SUCCESS!!!!! Finally...

I ended up reinstalling Linux Mint 13 and then upgraded wine to the newest version. (I must have messed up my previous linux install). Everything now works like a charm. Only "glitch" I've noticed is that opengl will not show my location on a map, so I'm running in D3DX9 with slighly lower graphic options. Still looks good and experiences no slow downs.

Go linux... ... er,... uh... ... I mean... FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

This website helped me a lot. It has fps problem solutions and sound problem solutions.
    here's a suggestion go back to windows....like the guy said in the first post in the topic, there is a reason why bllizzard doesn't support Linux or Linux users, cause guess what, it was designed to run on windows. Quit bucking the system and trying to play a PC game designed to run on Windows with an unsupported platform. I wish linux would die. PS I don't work for Microsoft.