[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

Druid
Prev 1 7 8 9 23 Next
10/29/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Dwyanewade
Empowered maul sounds pretty cool. I kind of wish it had some functionality against magic damage though, we already have quite a bit of physical reduction with mastery and SD.
And we already have the highest passive magic damage reduction.
Just my opinion, I think we could use something more than a passive effect for magic damage. We already have SD that is probably one of the best AM for physical damage out of any tank. Throw in the bonus armor on top of it and it leaves me thinking do we really need to have another skill to reduce melee attack damage?
Am I doing it wrong to stack agi as aggressively as I have? My healers say I am very easy to heal but could I do better?

Is agi at least in the same ballpark as mastery?
I think agil stat value is higher then mastery. Currently, im hit/exp and crit build. For most of my enchants, i choose agil > stam atm because I do not need that 2-3k hp boost per stam enchant (2 rings, back and gloves).

@arielle how is full exp and hit cap treating you? Atm im soft exp/hit cap, I am making my way to full exp to see how it is myself, eventually.
10/31/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Dwyanewade
Just my opinion, I think we could use something more than a passive effect for magic damage. We already have SD that is probably one of the best AM for physical damage out of any tank. Throw in the bonus armor on top of it and it leaves me thinking do we really need to have another skill to reduce melee attack damage?

No, which is one of my concerns. I can't see how they would introduce something like Tooth and Claw without nerfing us elsewhere.

Am I doing it wrong to stack agi as aggressively as I have? My healers say I am very easy to heal but could I do better?Is agi at least in the same ballpark as mastery?
On a point-by-point basis Agility is still near the top stat (because it contributes in 2 different ways). However for gemming secondary stats have double the actual stat points on them that Agility does. Since secondary stats are universally worth at least half a point of Agility, gemming secondaries is better.

Item level still wins though.

10/31/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Williee
@arielle how is full exp and hit cap treating you? Atm im soft exp/hit cap, I am making my way to full exp to see how it is myself, eventually.

It's amazing. I always have Rage, and actually have a surplus a lot of the time - which means I can start putting some Rage generation stats towards mitigation (Mastery/Dodge) - which I've started to do where posssible.
Small question that doesn't deserve its own thread - is it a good idea to macro Nature's Vigil to Incarnation? Or are there times where I would want to stagger them?
11/01/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Chairmanmeow
Small question that doesn't deserve its own thread - is it a good idea to macro Nature's Vigil to Incarnation? Or are there times where I would want to stagger them?
Generally yes. Better DPS (and thus self heals) that way.
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but in the trinkets section you list ghost iron dragonling as engineer only when it is, in fact, useable by non-engineers as well.

Also, I'm trying to understand how to gear my druid (who's level 89 and is my first time ever tanking on since I used to be balance/resto).
I've read a few stat weights around here and EJ and it lists agility as slightly better than dodge for, what I believe they were saying overall survivabilty and rage gen against physical damage dealers. Now I know gems give better stats to secondary stats So I'd want to socket for dodge over agi when possible.
Now for enchants i'm a little more confused. So would enchanting agility be better for rage-gen+survivability over dodge (i.e. wrist enchants) assuming I can supply the more costly mats for agility?
The same goes for Weapon enchants. Would dancing steel be better at a lower proc rate but higher uptime per buff over river's song?

I'm not likely to be running bleeding edge content so that may factor into the answer too. Mostly just heroics/LFR.
11/02/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Darkspectrum
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but in the trinkets section you list ghost iron dragonling as engineer only when it is, in fact, useable by non-engineers as well.

That's just one of many updates that need to be ported over to this version.

Now for enchants i'm a little more confused. So would enchanting agility be better for rage-gen+survivability over dodge (i.e. wrist enchants) assuming I can supply the more costly mats for agility?
Depends on the kind of damage. You likely won't be able to tell the difference.

The same goes for Weapon enchants. Would dancing steel be better at a lower proc rate but higher uptime per buff over river's song?
For pure TDR no. But it really depends on the fight. For some encounters RS is really good, and for others it's completely worthless.

Thing of DS as kind of a hybrid between WS and RS.

I'm not likely to be running bleeding edge content so that may factor into the answer too. Mostly just heroics/LFR.
Then honestly just get Windsong.
Whats the opinion on the Oxen deck for Bear tanks? How about the tiger deck?

*sorry if this is somewhere else on here. Just started posting on my druid and just trying to get caught up.

-KB
11/02/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Kittybuns
Whats the opinion on the Oxen deck for Bear tanks? How about the tiger deck?

It's certainly better than it was. Depending on how much of a relative investment it is for you it could be good to grab. If it's a huge investment I wouldn't bother.
I know it's PTR and all but I'm wondering how this new ability will turn out for tanking.

Tooth and Claw. This ability causes autoattacks to have a chance to empower the Druid's next Maul. Empowered Maul reduce the damage dealt by the target's next autoattack. Guardian Druids obtain this ability at level 32.

Is this something we're going to want to hit every time it procs or would the rage be best saved for SD/FR or will it be based on how hard the mob/boss normally swings for?
11/03/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Darkspectrum
Is this something we're going to want to hit every time it procs or would the rage be best saved for SD/FR or will it be based on how hard the mob/boss normally swings for?
http://theincbear.com/urgent-news-empowered-maul
how do people find glyphed frenzy regen for 10m encounters?
11/03/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Cudds
how do people find glyphed frenzy regen for 10m encounters?

Pretty much a waste of time thus far.
Thanks for the response. Also is there a big difference between using FR with 60 rage and let's say 20 rage since it's spammable ability? How does it scale?
11/03/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Cudds
Thanks for the response. Also is there a big difference between using FR with 60 rage and let's say 20 rage since it's spammable ability? How does it scale?

scale's linear. directly proportional. I quite frequently use it over SD due to this. depending on the situation my rage might not pool up high enough for an SD as my health drops critical. When this happens I take the edge off by spamming frenzy at partial rage. Since it is off the GCD, I spam it when I use zerk or incarnation too(if I don't feel like keeping SD up). incarnation + frenzy is wonderful, I find it heals me up almost as good as having an extra healer on me.
Straightforward trinket question. When I tank, it's *only* heroic 5 mans, no raids or lfr or anything.

I have Searing Words, Zen Alchemist Stone, Brawler's Statue and Windswept Pages.

Which two should I use?

Thanks! <3
11/04/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Eluial
Which two should I use?

I'd go with Words and Pages. DPS/Rage generation outweighs anything else.
Sadly, I try finding situation where glyphed frenzied would be good... but its hard. I can only see Tsulong having a SMALLL possibility in using glyphed frenzied due to the healer buff.
Maybe if a Yor'shaj fight appears where its pure magic damage where a single tank can keep up glyphed frenzied the whole fight buffing healers. Until then :|