5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 13 14 15 44 Next
I did try running with that thread disabled for a while, everything worked fine except that my Friends List showed me not connected to Battle.net, and a Battletag friend who was on wasn't showing up. Re-enabled the thread, logged all the way out, logged in, re-suspended it, and the Battle.net part is now working again. It may time out, disconnect, and then no longer be functional for a while. Just FYI. From that, I'm guessing it won't have any impact EXCEPT for Battle.net interaction, but I could be wrong.

I do know that when RealID was first released, I was having horrible spiky-lag issues until I disabled ReadID on my account (based on a tip someone had put in at the time that it might fix it), still disabled to this day. I wonder if it's the same bug come back to haunt us again.
So it IS B.Net related!

I need to trust my gut more often.
I did try running with that thread disabled for a while, everything worked fine except that my Friends List showed me not connected to Battle.net, and a Battletag friend who was on wasn't showing up. Re-enabled the thread, logged all the way out, logged in, re-suspended it, and the Battle.net part is now working again. It may time out, disconnect, and then no longer be functional for a while. Just FYI. From that, I'm guessing it won't have any impact EXCEPT for Battle.net interaction, but I could be wrong.

I do know that when RealID was first released, I was having horrible spiky-lag issues until I disabled ReadID on my account (based on a tip someone had put in at the time that it might fix it), still disabled to this day. I wonder if it's the same bug come back to haunt us again.

I wouldn't have been able to catch that since...none of my friends play anymore and have been logged out so long that I actually dethroned the guild leader.
Blizzard doesn't have enough funds to fix this problem.
I have a brand new MacBook Pro Retina. Within moments of starting the game the chassis gets incredibly hot just above the F keys. System fan comes on and never stops.

Only started with 5.0.4.

I just downloaded and installed today's Mountain Lion update and there was no change to the issue.

System Specs:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Might as well throw my hat in with the threadnaught. I am experiencing the massive overheating issues with the latest patch as well. I've followed all of the mitigating steps such as SMCfan, clean machine, cooling pad etc. etc. Within minutes of loading the game I'm getting temps in the 90c + range before I quit. Prior to patch I ran in the 70 - 75c range. Specs:

Late 2011 MacbookPro
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB Ram
OSX 10.7.4
Intel HD Graphics 3000 or AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
Just opened my launcher...downloaded new setup files. Game is up to date. Opened login screen, still at 100-104% CPU usage. Just an update...
I have an iMac 27"LCD/3.1QC/4GB/1TB with a radeon HD 6970M / 1GB with OSC 10.8.1. After the pacth, the video performance works terrible. I have video lag even in dummies, playing experience is really horrible. Before the patch everything worked marvellously, but after patch the issues started. I don't think about it's a computer issue, perhaps it's a patch issue. I've tried modifiying video settings, deleting the WTF and interfase folder, but it didn't work.

Has someone been able to resolve this one?
Hoping it will be seen soon...
08/29/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Krackrocks
Let's see who can get the highest recorded temperature before this gets fixed. Screenshots to prove it. Winner gets a broken computer.

LOL . . . things unchanged, fried eggs for breakfast on my computer while checking it out this morning.
If you're using a Macbook Pro, you can flip it upside down and use it as a skillet. 15 strips of bacon at the absolute least can fit on a 13 inch. Here are my specs in case anyone wants to try:

13-inch, Mid 2009
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Also, the rounded edges work excellent for dripping the oil and grease off the sides.
You can braise ribs with that.
Interesting stuff to say the least. If it is a bug i certainly hope it's fixed.

I still don't think a computer overheating can ever be an applications fault. computer hardware is SUPPOSED to be designed to run at max load in it's design, otherwise what's the point of the computer? If a professional uses a mac to do professional work all day, it'll be at this kind of load all day.

That said, if computing power is wasted frivolously and not with purpose, then that is definitely a bug. It sounds like there may be something to that affect. But that's the only thing i'd complain about to devs, is poor cpu/gpu usage. Not heat issues. Heat issues are apple issues. If your computer overheats, it's because you haven't cleaned it out recently or something is wrong with your cooling measures or apples cooling design. apple should be contacted if it's a design or defect issue.

I know my computer was in fact cleaned out this week when i installed a new blu-ray drive, even blew out the cpu heat sinks (don't take those apart often on a mac pro)
I'm running at 30C in game with 60fps. on a 2008 mac no less. Game is definitely using more cpu then it probably needs to be though. But overheating, it is not. Not when cooling measures are working correctly and the computer isn't designed poorly.

now Macbook's, another story. Apple designs them so poorly that they do overheat under max load for prolonged period of time for some models, from ANY program. is that programs fault though? no. that's apples.

Only thing you can blame program for is frivolous computing power use if it's using too much when it doesn't need to. But it's never at fault for the actual overheat, just frivolous computing power waste. I only state this, because all the complains to devs about overheating are incorrect. Even threatening lawsuits over it. Stormtides? come on now. You know how computers are designed and work.

As for blue's reading these threads. I'm confident they do. However, I'm sure they are testing issue in house and waiting until they have something more definitive to say before posting. I doubt it'd be of much comfort if they posted now "it may be broken, but we haven't confirmed it yet, nor do we have a fix yet". Blue's already said what needs to be say earlier in thread, it's being investigated. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=3#59 anything beyond that doesn't need to be said until they have a solution now. They don't need to post every page going "yep, nothing new to report".

08/30/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Krackrocks
If you're using a Macbook Pro, you can flip it upside down and use it as a skillet. 15 strips of bacon at the absolute least can fit on a 13 inch. Here are my specs in case anyone wants to try

I loled. You sir bring good humor to a thread that some users have just been off the wall in. Glad to see such good reporting composure. :)
I've been having the same heat issues with my macbook pro 13" mid 2010 reaching over 90 degrees C. As of this morning It's never going over 70C
Yay... another Apple basher. Gotta love them.

The point is, this issue wasn't there before the patch. After patch most of people's computers are doing it. Coincidence? Yeah. I bet all our computer got covered in dust the same exact all day all over the world.

Please.
Interesting stuff to say the least. If it is a bug i certainly hope it's fixed.

I still don't think a computer overheating can ever be an applications fault. computer hardware is SUPPOSED to be designed to run at max load in it's design, otherwise what's the point of the computer? If a professional uses a mac to do professional work all day, it'll be at this kind of load all day.

That said, if computing power is wasted frivolously and not with purpose, then that is definitely a bug. It sounds like there may be something to that affect. But that's the only thing i'd complain about to devs, is poor cpu/gpu usage. Not heat issues. Heat issues are apple issues. If your computer overheats, it's because you haven't cleaned it out recently or something is wrong with your cooling measures or apples cooling design. apple should be contacted if it's a design or defect issue.

I know my computer was in fact cleaned out this week when i installed a new blu-ray drive, even blew out the cpu heat sinks (don't take those apart often on a mac pro)
I'm running at 30C in game with 60fps. on a 2008 mac no less. Game is definitely using more cpu then it probably needs to be though. But overheating, it is not. Not when cooling measures are working correctly and the computer isn't designed poorly.

now Macbook's, another story. Apple designs them so poorly that they do overheat under max load for prolonged period of time for some models, from ANY program. is that programs fault though? no. that's apples.

Only thing you can blame program for is frivolous computing power use if it's using too much when it doesn't need to. But it's never at fault for the actual overheat, just frivolous computing power waste. I only state this, because all the complains to devs about overheating are incorrect. Even threatening lawsuits over it. Stormtides? come on now. You know how computers are designed and work.

As for blue's reading these threads. I'm confident they do. However, I'm sure they are testing issue in house and waiting until they have something more definitive to say before posting. I doubt it'd be of much comfort if they posted now "it may be broken, but we haven't confirmed it yet, nor do we have a fix yet". Blue's already said what needs to be say earlier in thread, it's being investigated. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=3#59 anything beyond that doesn't need to be said until they have a solution now. They don't need to post every page going "yep, nothing new to report".

If you're using a Macbook Pro, you can flip it upside down and use it as a skillet. 15 strips of bacon at the absolute least can fit on a 13 inch. Here are my specs in case anyone wants to try

I loled. You sir bring good humor to a thread that some users have just been off the wall in. Glad to see such good reporting composure. :)

The only reason you are completely off, as it seems you didn't read the entire thread, is that this started happening with the Patch. We all have been playing fine (me on my 2 week old 2012 MBAir) until the patch hit. This is a app problem period.

I do agree with what you have said overall, but you need to take into account the data that has been given you before you throw it at the manufacturer. 2 days ago we were all fine. Our hardware hasn't changed, the only thing that has is the application we are now running on our hardware.
Yes, because I really like burning my lap, wasting energy and battery life, and if not breaking then shortening the life of components that were not designed to run permanently at 100%.

I guess my skin is poorly designed, or how about we blame this on hygiene, rather than the blatant bug that causes needless and permanent 100% CPU usage.

We've confirmed it down here, no thanks whatsoever to Blizzard. But then again, the patch is such a broken crashing mess that I'm sure they don't have time for silly things like their entire Mac userbase.
I agree Omegal. It's our fault. What did we expect leaving the house dressed like that, with that low cut top and short skirt. We were asking for it. We deserved it.