5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 17 18 19 44 Next
Let's keep the thread on topic folks. Now that S4d1k has popped in, I'd hate for him to have to sort througha bunch of chaff just to home in on the real target.

^
|
Forum where we get stuff done.

<-- General Forums

:)
Im not having any heating/fan issues more than CPU problems. I have looked into it and my activity monitor is showing the Kernal_Task running at 300%+ whenever I try to use wow. The Kernal_Task only spikes and hogs CPU when I use wow since the patch, so its definitely WoW related, not my computer in general. Apparently the Kernal_Task is also connected to the heat problems and fan busting. Looking more into it.
08/30/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Omegal
Even threatening lawsuits over it. Stormtides?

Writing a letter of dissatisfaction to corporate is hardly threatening a lawsuit. Read more closely next time.

Edit: To clear up some of the negative vibes you guys have been picking up from my posts in the last few months, my general distaste isn't with the Mac devs or any of the people actually working on the games. It's the general homogenizing and odd development choices that have obvious roots in the corporate levels. Not the development divisions. I have a lot of respect for the blues that work here on the forums and the developers working on the game itself.
I love bugged out games@
08/30/2012 02:26 PMPosted by S4d1k
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing

is this fix in 16030 (the build being deployed on beta realms tonight).?

should users be testing this and reporting their findings, or did it not make this build?
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

We hope that this will solve the overheating issue but we can't be sure since we have problems reproducing that issue.

"We don't use Macs, we use PCs"

Think maybe they should get some.
08/30/2012 05:33 PMPosted by Omegal
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing

should users be testing this and reporting their findings, or did it not make this build?

Unfortunately, no.
I sent the following to support after trying everything under the sun:

MacBook, 13, Early 2008 (Intel GMA X3100 144MB graphics card), 4Gigs RAM, Mac OS X 10.7.4

Here is the information on my computer. My fiance said the graphics card information you have on your site is a little vague.

I worked on all of the support suggestions none of which helped. I even uninstalled the entire game client and reinstalled. All video/sound is off/or at lowest level and still not working. Please help! WoW withdrawal is some serious stuff.

This is the reply I got back from Jeremy.

My name is Jeremy and I’ll be assisting you with your game issues.

I took a look at your system information and I regret to inform you with with patch 5.0.4 your graphics card is no longer supported and will not be able to run the game properly.

I would be happy to help you out further if you have any further issues with this about this or any other issue, simply reply to this ticket. Or, if you prefer, you can give us a call at any of the following numbers:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/contact

I've been told other answers from other users who have computers that are the same as or compatible to mine. Is there a way to get a HARD answer to this?
When the patch does come out, will it have to be downloaded using the current, overheating client? If so, will the machines stay alive long enough to do the download without overheating?

Just a thought !
08/30/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Worfblue
Is there a way to get a HARD answer to this?
there are threads about that subject already. This is about the overheating and 100%CPU usage on most macs and not related to your issue.
When the patch does come out, will it have to be downloaded using the current, overheating client? If so, will the machines stay alive long enough to do the download without overheating?

Just a thought !

The overheating issue doesn't apply to the Blizzard Launcher, so you should be in no danger. All the patches are applied through the launcher now, not in the actual game client.
08/30/2012 06:05 PMPosted by S4d1k
Unfortunately, no.

That's OK. As soon as I see a new build for either client (Live or MoP) I'll gladly put it through the wringer.

Props again to Growltiger for finding this out (and teaching me a new way to help find odd threads). I really should bone up on using the gnu debugger for troubleshooting purposes for all apps.

I'm happy to say this runaway thread issue didn't hurt my framerates, just my MP's internal temps (a difference of 20°C is very noticeable and that was just ambient air - the hardware got much hotter).

I suppose I can put off playing for a while and continue my Chrono Trigger and FFV playthroughs. Beats the tar out of never finding anything good in D3, and I get nostalgia as a bonus. :)

08/30/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Arenvald
The overheating issue doesn't apply to the Blizzard Launcher, so you should be in no danger. All the patches are applied through the launcher now, not in the actual game client.

I'm just happy we can still launch the game client by itself on the WoW side. You have no idea how annoying it is to have to go through the launcher with D3. I'd much rather launch the game, have it tell me "hey pal! There's a new update out, go get it!" and then launch the launcher instead of always having to go through the launcher and the very flaky Agent process just to get to ze game. :)
MacBook Pro - 15-inch Early 2008

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
Software OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

add me to the list of 196 degree temps T_T

note: I just had my computer cleaned today so dust is not the problem.
S4D1K, Could I pick your brain with one question? I'm sure you have overviewed the process Tiger outlined a couple pages back that seems to alleviate the processor overuse. Do you think that this process would be okay to use to continue playing the game if we are confident with our Terminal skills?

Or could this be seen as some violation of the ToS...As far as I can tell, suspending a problem thread in a process is not trying to gain an unfair advantage, cheating, or attempting to data mine the game's files in anyway.

I'm not looking for a concrete, all encompassing answer...just whether or not suspending thread 7 could get us into trouble.

I don't want to have my account banned for trying to play under normal cpu load. Any info would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, no.

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ;(
Upgrade,

I suspect that disabling the problem thread in and of itself isn't going to cause you any problems itself in terms of violations. What might be construed as a violation is the side effect: It disables your battle.net friends list/realID/battletag connection, thus making you appear "offline", which is an unintended effect (and one the devs have said they don't want implemented). However, because of the nature of the danger to hardware at this time, I don't think any action will be taken since most people wouldn't want a core part of the game disabled, and just want to be able to play.

Disabling this thread does have disadvantages in that it breaks RealID grouping, and at least for me prevented me from entering a dungeon queue, most likely because I was no longer broadcasting my "presence" to the battlegroup.
Interestingly enough, I have no battle.net connectivity issues whether I live gdb attached to the process or disengage it.

Edit: Or any other issues related to dungeons, battlegrounds, grouping, etc. Maybe I'm lucky. Once I suspend that process I can play 100% as normal.
08/30/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
I suppose I can put off playing for a while and continue my Chrono Trigger and FFV playthroughs. Beats the tar out of never finding anything good in D3, and I get nostalgia as a bonus. :)

:D

That's exactly what I've been doing for the last 2 days! Playing Chrono Trigger! I recently found a used DS cartridge on Sale for $5.00, so I'm playing through the game again. I'm eager to get to all the new dungeons they added to the end of the game.

They completely redid the english translations too, so overall it's a lot more accurate... But Frog has lost his Old English accent... :(

I'm just happy we can still launch the game client by itself on the WoW side. You have no idea how annoying it is to have to go through the launcher with D3. I'd much rather launch the game, have it tell me "hey pal! There's a new update out, go get it!" and then launch the launcher instead of always having to go through the launcher and the very flaky Agent process just to get to ze game. :)

100% agree here. I really, really dislike intermediary apps between my click, and the application itself. Especially ones that run in the background.
I tried using Growl's fix to some success. My CPU usages while on the character screen dropped way down from over 100% to around 10% and it seemed to run a lot cooler. However, playing the game my CPU usage still is above 200% (or slightly below). This is still a big improvement as before CPU was over 300%!!!!

I should mention that I am running on a rMBP that I just got this past weekend, frame-rates are not where they were previous to patch either. Still runs really hot, but at least it's better I guess?? Previous to the patch I had high FPS while using high/ultra settings, now seeing FPS down around 30 in stormwind under heavy conditions using "Good" settings...still I should have more than enough computer power to do better than that.

Compared to running D3...where my CPU usage is 30-60% with settings maxed out (or for the most part). Computer runs smooth, heats up a little but cools down, heats up again, etc...never freaking out and causing the fans to go into hyperdrive mode.

I know WoW vs. D3 isn't apples-to-apples but...the way WoW is STILL taxing my system even with this temporary fix is annoying.

I guess I just wanted to point out that this is just a band-aid, and I would hope the devs will be looking deeper and trying to improve performance, not just patch it up to "slightly-better-than-terrible". I'd be quite happy to go back to the way it ways previous to the patch, if only it was that simple.