Patch 5.0.4 and excessive 3d flickering

Mac Technical Support
Hello Blizzard,

I have a 27" iMac, Mid-2010, with the following specs:

Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

Since the 5.0.4 patch, I've seen excessive 3d flickering in the game world. This was all just peachy yesterday, of course. It's bad enough that the game is essentially unplayable.

A few things:

First, is there anything I can try to prevent this? I've tried quite a few combinations of video options, and the situation persists through all of them; low->fair->good->high->ultra doesn't seem to make a difference.

Second, might this in any way be related to the switch to the 64-bit client? Can I run the 32-bit client at this point?

Third, is there any way I can stress test my video card on OS X? I'm reasonably technical, and happy to run any and all test suites you might be able to provide or point out online. The Apple Hardware Test, running in extended mode reports no issues. Hell, I'd even be happy to sign an NDA to run anything custom your developers would like me to run. I've only signed about a million of them in my life related to software. :)

Fourth, I know this can be related to heat, but the machine's fans haven't kicked on, and it isn't running particularly hot.

Fifth, I know this can be related to bad video memory (hence quesion 3), but since it wasn't happening prior to the patch, I'm much more inclined to believe it's software.

Sixth, I know this can be related to video drivers, but of course on OS X, changing the driver isn't really an option.

I'm hoping for an intelligent reply.

Thanks!
Additional info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68a1
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.1.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: iMac
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 1:01
Also, I found the 32-bit client in with the rest of the game. My issue persists regardless of whether I'm using the 32- or 64-bit client.
After reading a number of posts in this forum, I decided to:

• Empty caches
  • Reset SMC
  • Reset PRAM

This had no effect.
I'm having the same issues.
Same issues myself
same issue here
For what it's worth:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor 3.3 GHz
16GB DDr3 1600
2x Radeon HD 6950
Windows 7 64 Bit

Only certain portions of the game flicker. Something is up with the lighting on the newer gen cards it seems. I had a similar issue with SWTOR
I fixed mine by changing my shadow quality to either ultra or good. The flickering seems to only happen when shadows are set to "high".

Hope it helps!

FWIW i'm running i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz with two HD6870's in crossfire
Have tried testing it in either Boot Camp or VM Ware ?

I'm pretty sure I have the same model of Mac but unfortunately have not had the chance to play yet as you can probably guess why :(

Since the 5.0.4 patch, I've seen excessive 3d flickering in the game world. This was all just peachy yesterday, of course. It's bad enough that the game is essentially unplayable.

Where do I need to go in game to test this out ? What should I be looking for ?
Its interesting this is happening in lower chipset models that are "unsupported" as well.

(which makes alot more sense) But seeing it on these make me hope that there is another problem that isnt hardware related that can be fixed for both.
exact same issues on a retina macbook pro... no way this computer should be running the same with 11 fps and insane flickering of random lights all over the screen.
08/29/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
Have tried testing it in either Boot Camp or VM Ware ?

No ma'am, I have neither of these setup. While I can see the value of the comparison for troubleshooting, I would very much prefer to keep my Mac free of any Microsoft Windows products. Insert flame war here.

I'm pretty sure I have the same model of Mac but unfortunately have not had the chance to play yet as you can probably guess why :(
Where do I need to go in game to test this out ? What should I be looking for ?

This was happening for me essentially everywhere I looked in the game world. I'm not at all sure that "3d flickering" does what's happening justice. I see huge square or triangular artifacts on the screen that correspond to the location of textures over a wireframe.

As an example, the following youtube shows pretty closely what I'm seeing -- but obviously in WoW, and much more pronounced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DfNOQ9W9k

Also, here's an example of what I'm NOT seeing -- I would consider the following simply a bad GPU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOq1uGKglTU

Also, I tried tweaking the shadow quality as previously suggested. This produced no change in what I'm seeing.
Same problem... Major lag and major rainbow 3d tearing in my game world. It was perfectly fine before patch
It would seem that I'm ultimately dealing with the same problem as discussed over in this thread, though I don't seem to be having the major heat issues others are:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648

After letting my Mac sit idle for a day, I note that all the "3d flickering" I'm experiencing only seems to start after about 10-15 minutes of play time. This leads me to conclude I'm experiencing problems due to overheating.
No ma'am, I have neither of these setup. While I can see the value of the comparison for troubleshooting, I would very much prefer to keep my Mac free of any Microsoft Windows products. Insert flame war here.

I'm a guy IRL ;)

t would seem that I'm ultimately dealing with the same problem as discussed over in this thread, though I don't seem to be having the major heat issues others are: (forum bug no likey more then 2 URLs so URL edited out)

Did you try the thing that Growl Tiger posted about ?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=11#210

Something about using gdb.
I am having the same flickering issue since the patch. I am also running WoW on my macbook and have had no issues at all with the game client until now. Please Blizzard, do something to fix this! I will have to cancel my game account if not because it is pretty much unplayable in my case. :(
BTW- i've been reading through several forums and tried pretty much all the troubleshooting techniques suggested thus far, to no avail so I am thinking it is the software. :P