Account-wide Pets with Patch 5.0.4

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
I just got this message from a GM:

"My understanding is that pets will be battle.net account wide and with of course certain exceptions usable by all characters on any WoW license in the same region on the same battle.net account. "

So, I repeat my question. What the heck happens when my son and I log in at the same time with the same roster of pets and try to do a pet battle?
I am totally confused, and if someone could clarify, that would be awesome.

As I had understood it, pets would be account-wide, period, meaning, that if one character had it, all characters in that account would. Simple enough, right?

Sooooo ... what is this example of the three-cat thing? Why would I want three of the SAME pets on an acct.?

Let's say that across all of your characters, you've only ever acquired one Crimson Whelpling. It's on a character that you rarely play. You wish you had a Crimson Whelpling on your current main. But alas, you do not.

After the migration, you will see that Crimson Whelpling in the pet list for every character you have on that account. You can summon and use your Crimson Whelpling without restriction.

Now let's say that you'd like to occasionally go into a Pet Battle with two Crimson Whelplings (and one 'Lil KT). You'll have to acquire a second Crimson Whelpling to do that.

After you've gotten your second, all of your characters will see two Crimson Whelplings in their pet lists.

After you acquire your third, you've reached the limit that the system will allow. You can trade in caged Crimson Whelplings all you like (those are items), but you will not be able to add a fourth Crimson Whelpling to the list of pets all your characters share.
Yeah I am going to have to agree with my fellow bloggers/players here, a lot of this is confusing. Least to say I didn't even know there were difirent "types" of pets to begin with...and thinking about it you can get some "alliance" or "horde" pets/mounts via the neutral auction houses in all of the neutral goblin towns. More importantly I would like to know more about what achievements will be account wide and which aren't in plain english.
just saw the above explanation lol thanks but still waiting on achievements
HELP! Please clarify the meaning of "Account-wide" in regards to pets. I currently have 3 licenses in my family under the same Battle.net account. Will the pets really be merged across all of Battle.net as the press releases state or is it actually just within each individual license?

Yes. All of the characters on all three licenses will share all of the pets in that Battle.net Account.

08/24/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Stygimoloch
If all of our pets are merged into one super library, how will we be able to battle each other?

Only one player per Battle.net account can be in a Pet Battle at a time. Any other players on that account who are logged-in will be able to summon the shared pets as companions, but will not be able to enter Pet Battles.

Will we be able to be logged in at the same time with identical pet rosters?

Yes.

Will we each still be able to each do the quest lines and dailies? Using the same pets? Will we be able to level and battle with pets all at the same time in different parts of the world?

Yes and no. Daily Quests that are specific to Pet Battles will be limited to once per account. Other sorts of dailies will be unlimited, and there is no 25-daily-quest cap anymore.

I am on the verge of separating my licenses onto different battle.net accounts to make sure that we can participate fully. My son will be devastated if we can't battle each other!

You will have to separate licenses for two players on the same Battle.net account to enter into Pet Battles at the same time.
"4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling."

Great... so that means I'm going to LOSE pet count for achievements instead of gaining.

Buying 3-4 cats was an easy way to help with the pet achievements, so now I can only have 3 even though there are 4 available? If that's true then that really, really pisses me off.

Thanks, Blizz! You sure know how to screw things up....
So wait, can my DK finally get the headless horsemen mount my druid won years back?
"4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling."

Great... so that means I'm going to LOSE pet count for achievements instead of gaining.

Buying 3-4 cats was an easy way to help with the pet achievements, so now I can only have 3 even though there are 4 available? If that's true then that really, really pisses me off.

Thanks, Blizz! You sure know how to screw things up....
Are you a moron? Try reading before saying dumb things.
2. Pets that can only be used by characters of the other faction will be greyed out.
Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.
There are certain pets that will not be account-wide. Examples include: Guild Page, Guild Herald, Argent Squire, Argent Gruntling.

Is this the Blizzard Store Moonkin Hatchling? Why does it go from being a dual-faction pet to an Alliance-only pet?

You can't summon the horde version on an alliance character and vice versa.
I see many mentions of Account-wide, will my pets from All the Realms I play on be mixed or just a server-wide mix?

I have many of the Whelps on my Azjol-Nerub Hunter, but I also have a few TCG & New Rares on Tichondrius.

Edit: What will happen to Pets made with New alts (Mostly Collector / Store pets)?

One question wasn't answered, are we getting the new AH with the battle pets tabs in this patch or MoP and what about the vanity pets that are on AH before the patch hits, will they all of sudden be CAGED pets, or sent back to the sender or will the new AH accept uncaged pets?

Thanks in advanace!!

Edit: btw Thanks for working on a Satuday!!! :P

Caging and trading caged pets are Mists of Pandaria functions. You'll see some mention of it after the 5.0.4 patch, but you won't be doing it until the expansion.
08/25/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Litsue
I have a question. Will Lil Tyragosa be account wide or will I have to buy her on a toon by toon basis?
I'm assuming you mean Lil Tarecgosa, that pet is currently a one time purchase.
You purchase one, right click to learn and it is NOT consumed, you can then mail it off to the next character, rinse, lather, repeat...all on a single purchase. It can be mailed cross faction, does not require the character be in a guild that can purchase it, etc.
The level 2 mage that is only member of my bank alt guild is currently rocking Lil Tarecgosa as is my unguilded level 9 alt of the other faction.
Thanks for the response Kaivax! I still need one more clarification though. Based on what you are saying:

"Yes. All of the characters on all three licenses will share all of the pets in that Battle.net Account."

"Only one player per Battle.net account can be in a Pet Battle at a time. Any other players on that account who are logged-in will be able to summon the shared pets as companions, but will not be able to enter Pet Battles."

So... if my son and I want to be able to do pet battles against each other, we will have to be on SEPARATE battle.net accounts. Is that correct? Because that's kind of a big deal and pretty important to know.
08/25/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Stygimoloch
So... if my son and I want to be able to do pet battles against each other, we will have to be on SEPARATE battle.net accounts. Is that correct? Because that's kind of a big deal and pretty important to know.

Yikes... my daughter and I are set up the same way. :(
Tihs sounds great but there are a couple of questions I'm curious about and I may have missed the answer due to being half asleep.

I understand that pets will go battle.net account wide, but does this mean that my characters on my EU licenses will have some of the pets I have on my US license that I haven't managed to get hold of yet since they are all under the same battle.net account? Or is this limited to region?
The same applies to mounts. Would I be able to ride my Time-Lost Proto Drake that I got on my EU shaman, on my US toons since they are all under the same battle.net account even though they are different regions?

I'm assuming you mean Lil Tarecgosa, that pet is currently a one time purchase.
You purchase one, right click to learn and it is NOT consumed, you can then mail it off to the next character, rinse, lather, repeat...all on a single purchase. It can be mailed cross faction, does not require the character be in a guild that can purchase it, etc.
The level 2 mage that is only member of my bank alt guild is currently rocking Lil Tarecgosa as is my unguilded level 9 alt of the other faction.

I thought that I read somewhere where this would be account bound meaning it is in your spell/vanity pet book, but the mount from guild rewards will NOT be account wide.
That is my understanding however the pet is currently account (or rather license bound) bound and requires only a single purchase like I laid out.