6.1 Fire Mage PvE Guide

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
Going to assume that Mirror Image is 2nd in our priority list, since Combustion is the only ability with a higher damage-per-execution than Mirror Image (I think).

Don't forget to sticky this guide as well!
Request for Sticky
Added several stat rating conversions, and will post a couple formulas later today in the FAQ for those interested. I couldn't find out the conversion rating for Intellect (as far as how much Intellect is needed to convert into 1% Spell Crit), so I'll need confirmation on that one.

Also, sticky the guide, so people know there's a Fire guide before the torrent of questions arises in MoP.
Added stat conversions and finally posted a couple formulas, and added several more FAQ's and general gameplay tips to the guide. Also added links for gems, enchants, and professions, and edited most of the guide to be MoP-compatible. I plan on making a youtube version of the more practical aspects of this guide, partially just to say that I got a youtube video with X amount of views.

One other thing somewhat related to that last comment is: one thing I see in a couple of guides is a section containing youtube videos/streams of some of the best players of said class. Whether or not I do this I don't know. I think it'd be helpful, but there's also the issue of everyone trying to persuade me to display their youtube channel/stream.
Sticky requested.
thanks for this Siq guide. Fires real viable right now..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Please add that 1% expertise = 1% hit. While it may not seem relevant if people are really lacking for that 15% hit cap u can reforge an item that has hit and lets say mastery to expertise that way ur getting more hit rating from a single item.
Added the Expertise portion. Guide is pretty much up-to-date for MoP. The only two things I'm unsure of at this point are:

1. How much Crit rating=1% Intellect.

2. I read on a couple other resources that on a patchwerk-style fight, Invocation was beating Rune of Power. Personally, I don't see Rune of Power being too useful on most T14 fights, but it'd still be nice to have confirmation, just for the sake of knowledge, as I won't have too much time to test it myself.

EDIT: At some point I'll add a raid BiS list of gear, for pre-raid, normal raids, and heroic raids. More likely than not, I'll be lazy and provide links to other sites that have the BiS lists.
Wow, now that I've read the whole thing, you do go into a lot more detail than the icyveins guide. EXCELLENT and a HUGE service to the Mage community! One TINY thing I see missing is an Enchant Ring listing (+160 Int).

I just made a list of the Enchants I want along with the benefits AND the costs for a professional to make them... PLEASE if anyone sees anything incorrect here, let me know:

Enchant Weapon - Windsong (1500 Crit, Haste or Mastery 12 secs)
12 Spirit Dust, 1 Ethereal Shard

Enchant Shoulder - Greater Crane Wing Inscription (200 Int, 100 Crit)
1 Light Parchment, 3 Starlight Ink

Enchant Cloak/Back - Superior Intellect (180 Int)
3 Spirit Dust, 3 Mysterious Essence

Enchant Legs - Greater Cerulean Spellthread (285 Int, 65 Crit)
1 Imperial Silk (12 Bolts Windwool [3 stacks], OR 5 Bolts + 3 Spirit of Harmony [30 Motes of Harmony])

Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats (80 all stats)
2 Spirit Dust, 3 Mysterious Essence

Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste (170 Haste)
4 Spirit Dust

Enchant Bracers/Wrists - Super Intellect (170, Int)
40G @ Revered, August Celestials

Belt - Living Steel Belt Buckle (160 Int w/Brilliant Primordial Ruby)
1 Living Steel (6 Trillum Bars [60 Ghost Iron Bars (120 Ghost Iron Ore)])
OR
3 Trillium Bars, 3 Spirit of Harmony
Need Alchemy, Mining & Blacksmithing

Enchant Boots - Pandarean's Step (140 Mastery)
4 Spirit Dust, 3 Mysterious Essence

Enchant Off-Hand Major Intellect (165 Int)
3 Mysterious Essences

Enchant Ring - Greater Intellect (160 Int)
2 Spirit Dust
Thanks for posting the enchants Bright. Figuring out which enchants to get once I hit cap is always a pita.
I ran some numbers about buffing up, pretty much to Int. It "proved" the 1-1 relationship between Int & SP. AND some of the buffs gave more than they seem specced for (although the difference is really pretty minor but I am curious where the tiny boost came from). I also applied them in a specific order, buffed food, then flask, then Brilliance. Buffed food is Severed Sagefish Heads, the flask comes from the Alchemists Flask (not consumed, but unaffected by mixology). I have read that the flask scales with level... not so sure about that because the tooltip says 320, I'm 86 at the time.

I get 95 from the buffed food, 336 from the Alchemist's Flask, and the exact 10% (1019) from Brilliance.

Raw Stat Int-6795 SP-9758
Buff Food Int-6890 SP-9853
AlchFlask Int-7226 SP-10189
Brilliance Int-7226 SP-11208
Many thanks for this guide. I've only been playing WOW part time since last November and this article really made clear what I've been doing wrong with my fire mage. Already requested a sticky.
How high is a 'really high ignite and pyroblast DOT' by your standards? Sometimes I wonder if a lot of fire mages are bad because they don't know WHEN to combust and just do it.
09/30/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Conceit
How high is a 'really high ignite and pyroblast DOT' by your standards? Sometimes I wonder if a lot of fire mages are bad because they don't know WHEN to combust and just do it.

Yeah this is the biggest mistake bad fire mages do. They just hit their combust button on Cooldown. With it being only a 45 second CD this won't be as bad and waiting for that juicy combustion just won't be viable. I am guilty of holding my combustion forever because I wnat an awesome combust.

A decent ignite from what I've experinced from Beta and lots and lots of dungons at level 90 would be about 15k or so. As soon as I saw like a 16-20k ignite I would just go to town with combustyon.
What I'm seeing is 5-6k questing is about as good as it will get (at my level), but in normal 5 mans (only done 4-5 atm), it can go 9-12k (just from what I see). BUT the CD has to change the strategy... like if I see 9k in a 5 man, off it goes. I always found trying to look for the ideal Pyro & Ignite DoT is distracting... at least until the fight is so second nature.

These numbers will undoubtedly go up as we get to Heroics & raids (and move way beyond the 390ish iLvls), before 5.x most of the time a 25k was a good time, BUT I HAVE seen it go to 120k on Spine. I'll never forget seeing a 60k and firing it off only to see a 100k 60 seconds later!

FWIW I am "relying" on the Mage Nuggets Ignite display which I have set up ~2.5" sw of center.
I haev a question about this part:

5. Inferno Blast (if ½ of the crits required to proc Pyroblast! are present)
6. Heating Up (1 stack present)
7. Spam Fireball

What does #6 reference? Because the way I read #5 is you should use IB if you have Heating Up Active, am I not reading that right?

----------------

Also, guy above, you posted:
"As soon as I saw like a 16-20k ignite I would just go to town with combustyon."

How do you gauge this without addons? Do you say "Oh there's a "X" damage Fireball/Pyro, or combination of both, that means my ignite will be 16-20k...

Something like that? Or what?
Reworded the T6 (level 90) talents slightly, as well as the benefits and limitations of each: they can all be interpreted as burst CD's. Thanks to Icy Veins, I provided a link to a BiS list of gear for Fire Mages on he Icy Veins website, and it shows a lot of alternatives for each gear slot:

http://www.icy-veins.com/fire-mage-wow-pve-dps-gear-loot-best-in-slot

09/30/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Conceit

That can be a hard question to answer. Sometimes, depending on the timing of the fight, and especially with the low crit levels we'll have, it can be difficult to achieve an amazing Combustion. I'm mostly playing Frost this tier while maybe going Fire for several fights, so I personally haven't spent time with Fire ever since the live patch hit. If you're wondering specifically about the Ignite value you should reach, other Fire mages may have a clearer idea than I do. Just be aware that sometimes you will have to use Combustion even if the set-up isn't ideal.

I haev a question about this part:5. Inferno Blast (if ½ of the crits required to proc Pyroblast! are present)6. Heating Up (1 stack present)7. Spam FireballWhat does #6 reference? Because the way I read #5 is you should use IB if you have Heating Up Active, am I not reading that right?

That reminds me that I should add an extra paragraph explaining Heating Up. I should probably reword step 5 and 6 to make more sense as well. Basically, step 5 of the priority system has you using Inferno Blast if you have 1 Heating up stack, and doing this allows you to proc the Pyroblast! ability. Step 6 is actually casting the Pyroblast once you convert that one Heating Up stack into a Pyroblast! proc. So, I think you were essentially right.
An Ignite is a percentage of the damage a spell does, modified by the Mastery you have. Said damage is dependant on your Spell Power AND any procs that may occur (I'm LOVING my new Zen Alchemists Stone that procs 4561 Int for 15 secs; when I equipped it earlier today I saw the 5-6k Ignites I mentioned questing become 9-10k when the proc hit). Like I said, Mage Nuggets has a module that pops up an icon with a number above it. Not to mention there is gear that may proc Mastery.

Point being it IS variable and will change as you level up and acquire new gear. Quest and do dailies and keep an eye on it.
The parts where you keep mentioning shatter increasing crit by 1.5 is really confusing. Shatter increases crit against frozen targets only, and it's by double your crit chance + 50%. So basically once you have 25% crit, you have 100% against frozen targets. But fire has a spec dependent passive called Critical Mass that multiplies the critical strike chance of your Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Pyroblast, and Scorch by 1.5. That must be what you're thinking of, but calling is Shatter is misleading.
10/01/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Nuclea
The parts where you keep mentioning shatter increasing crit by 1.5 is really confusing. Shatter increases crit against frozen targets only, and it's by double your crit chance + 50%. So basically once you have 25% crit, you have 100% against frozen targets. But fire has a spec dependent passive called Critical Mass that multiplies the critical strike chance of your Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Pyroblast, and Scorch by 1.5. That must be what you're thinking of, but calling is Shatter is misleading.

Ah, that's the name of it. Fixed.