User Tips and Tricks

Technical Support
There you are, getting your game on, maybe raiding with your guild, or just running some quests that require a bit of a brain, or hunting down a worthless druid escape artist that's disrupting a lowbie quest hub... and suddenly your FPS drops into the single digits and your abilities lag. You check your latency, and it's LOW. 55 ms... or even lower. You keep checking it, it stays low, your framerate stays ultra-low, and you're staggering around like you're in a pitch black room with a strobe light going off. What happened, all of a sudden?

Check your graphics settings. Perhaps it's because I use a 6-year-old Acer 7000 with Windows 7 (go ahead, have your little laugh), but every once in a while, for no apparent reason, my graphics settings all reset themselves to Ultra. The client or server does this all on its own. Oddly, it's just the drop-down menus, not the sliders.

So, if your framerate takes a huge, unexpected dive, and you have zero latency problems, pull up the graphics menu, make sure everything is where you want it, and then /reload, just in case Murphy's Law disconnects you before the UI settings get automatically saved.
Same here. I can't boost my 100 and pay 60 bucks because the shop just sits and spins on "loading".
I somehow deleted the folder for addons; reinstalled WoW but, the folder was still gone. Would somebody please help me?
the game is so dark I can't see where I'm going, literally. Sometimes I'll realize I'm just bumping into a wall. How can I get it to lighten? It used to be that I could change the gamma and all was well, but they no longer have that available. Will welcome any suggestions!
BLZ51901021 and Windows XP x64 Edition - SOLVED, FOR REAL!

It's a simple matter of hotfixing XP x64 Edition (or Server 2003) to support SHA-2 authentication, which can be accomplished by downloading and installing one or both of these packages:

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Server%202003/sp3/Fix200653/3790/free/315159_ENU_x64_zip.exe

and

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Server%202003/sp3/Fix262679/3790/free/375531_ENU_x64_zip.exe.

I don't actually know if they're both necessary, or if only one of them is necessary, or if they need to be installed in a specific order, or what. I just know that I installed both of them, rebooted my computer, and was able to successfully run World of Warcraft in my XP x64 partition after that.

So BLIZZARD... if a single user, working in his spare time with no programming knowledge and no resources other than a search engine and the twin blessings of OCD and insomnia, can get WoW working on Windows XP x64 Edition, then what excuse could your entire team of professional code jockeys possibly have?
03/31/2014 04:57 AMPosted by Leislee
I found this very helpful for Nvidia GPU problems:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9972977266

Great guide
A little update for Nvidia users that have recently purchased new cards only to find their performance actually decreased in game with the new hardware.
OK folks, I have the fix.
Several of the settings are in line with page 1 of this topic, some are different due to newer cards and drivers.
Not sure why Nvidia's own Experience Optimizer does not do this for you, but, letter to them next.
Like Cryptoxic said: From Nvidia drivers settings (Nvidia Control Panel), not the in-game settings, go to "Manage 3D Settings", choose "Program Settings" tab, select WoW, if not there like mine will need to press "Add" button, then make these changes:
A.O. - global/Off
A.F. - App. Controlled
AA-FXAA will be greyed out since not supported by game
AA-Gamma - On
AA-Mode - Enhanced
AA-Setting - 2x or 4x (depending on your rig, mine is 4790K, 32GB, SSD, 1070TI, and set to 4x)
AA-Trans - Multisample
CUDA GPU - global/All
Max Pre-rendered Frames - 3
Multi-Frame AA - On
OpenGL GPU - Geforce 1070 (your card here)
PM - Optimal
Preferred Refresh - Highest Avail.
Shader Cache - global/on
Tex. Filt.-Anis - On
Tex. Filt.-Neg - global/allow
Tex. Filt.-quality - Performance (or High Perf. if ok with quality decrease)
Tex. Filt.-Trilinear - On
Threaded Optimization - OFF (I think this is the main one that causes newer cards to have issues with the older gaming engine)
Triple Buff. - global/off
Vert. Sync. - Fast (and I have it turned off in game)
Virt. R. pre-rendered frames - global/1

No matter what I did in game or with the Nvidia optimizer I could never get performance worth anything with view distances and Env. Detail set to 10, however, after doing the above and pushing control from the driver side my FPS doubled!

Hope this helps others who have been struggling with this since even with latest 390 drivers the fix is obviously not going to come automatically from driver updates.
Copying WoW installation to another computer... (I hope this gets indexed by Google!)

Problem: Copied WoW folder from one PC to another. WoW can't be launched using the [Play] button in Battle.net Launcher, and wants you to update but fails with error code BLZBNTAGT00000840.

Answer: This error is actually incorrect. There are no files in use by anything. The launcher is confused possibly due to bugs in the feature for searching for games.

Close the Battle.net Launcher and move your World of Warcraft installation somewhere else, ex. your Documents folder, so that the Battle.net Launcher can no longer see it.
Now open the Battle.net Launcher, go to Settings and ensure your install path (under Game Install/Update) is where you want it and hit Done. Next, start installing the game via [Install] on the Launcher.
Use the pause button as soon as you can (I think it can be done during the fetching of indices), then copy (or move back) and confirm overwrite your World of Warcraft folder to the path that the Launcher is installing to. If it fails to overwrite, just skip those files, some small files could still be in use by the Battle.net Launcher while it is paused. Once the copy/move is complete, you can resume the install on the Battle.net Launcher and it should fetch around 70 MB and then say the install is complete.
The [Play] button should now be available and your game will be able to update again!

This solution applies to an already up-to-date game folder. I am unsure what would happen if it was used with an out-of-date game folder.

PS it'd be great if Blizzard fixed this Battle.net Launcher bug someday.
For those who have login screen loading issues after the update (8.0.1),
Edit the config file inside the WTF folder and change D3X11 to D3X12
Save and then try loading the game again.

It worked for me.

For some reason, DirectX 11 isn't playing ball with NVidia cards after the update.
If you're using a G-SYNC monitor you may have found that the adaptive refresh is no longer working after the 8.0 update. If this affects you, fret not: G-SYNC can be easily fixed!

First, make sure that you've enabled support for windowed G-SYNC in your NVIDIA Control Panel:

https://i.imgur.com/esEsAZ7.png

Unfortunately, due to a bug in Windows 10's April update, G-SYNC no longer works in windowed mode out of the box. This will be fixed with the next NVIDIA driver update. However, in the meantime, you can work around this by killing the DWM process (it will automatically and immediately restart itself). More details are available in this thread on the GeForce forums:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1045242/geforce-drivers/windows-april-update-1803-rs4-quot-spring-creators-quot-windowed-g-sync-is-broken/1/

Here's a simple tl;dr:
You can speed the killing process by saving
taskkill.exe /F /IM dwm.exe
as a .bat file on your desktop and running that as an administrator every time G-Sync is not triggering.

Make that .bat file on your desktop and run it when G-SYNC isn't working. G-SYNC should then function until you restart your computer, at which point you can simply run the .bat file again.

Hopefully the new NVIDIA drivers are out soon with a permanent fix for that Windows 10 April update bug.
07/17/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Kodiack
If you're using a G-SYNC monitor you may have found that the adaptive refresh is no longer working after the 8.0 update. If this affects you, fret not: G-SYNC can be easily fixed!

First, make sure that you've enabled support for windowed G-SYNC in your NVIDIA Control Panel:

https://i.imgur.com/esEsAZ7.png

Unfortunately, due to a bug in Windows 10's April update, G-SYNC no longer works in windowed mode out of the box. This will be fixed with the next NVIDIA driver update. However, in the meantime, you can work around this by killing the DWM process (it will automatically and immediately restart itself). More details are available in this thread on the GeForce forums:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1045242/geforce-drivers/windows-april-update-1803-rs4-quot-spring-creators-quot-windowed-g-sync-is-broken/1/
From Forceflow at the thread you linked from the thread you linked :)
Hello there,

Running the latest Windows 10 (1803) and the latest drivers (Last driver tested: 398.36). DDU clean and install, of course. I cannot get windowed G-Sync to work. The option is enabled in the control panel for both windowed and fullscreen. It seems to work fine in fullscreen mode.

Interesting: Windowed G-Sync works just after a clean driver installation. Rebooting after the driver install, and it's broken again. This behaviour has led to the fix detailed further.

My System: Win10 17134.112 (aka Redstone 4, aka Spring Creators Update), MSI GTX1070 ti, 16 Gb RAM, single monitor setup. Applications to test this bug with are basicly any game with a windowed mode (Overwatch, Rocket League, ...) or any game without true exclusive fullscreen (The Evil Within 2, Rust, ...)

Ugly fix (found on 03/04/2018):
Close all GPU applications (and pretty much any other app you don't want to risk crashing)
Open task manager and kill "Windows Desktop Manager". Yep, acknowledge the warning.
WDM will restart itself immediately. Your screen might go black for a second while it recovers.
Windowed G-Sync working again, until next reboot.

Additional notes:
Some users report you also need to have V-Sync forced to ON in NVCP for this fix to work. (I do)
Some users report you also have to kill explorer.exe for GSync to work (I don't have to do this)

as a .bat file on your desktop and running that as an administrator every time G-Sync is not triggering.

Things that did not resolve the issue:
Disable full screen optimizations on a per-exe basis
Disable fast boot
Disable game bar / game mode
Installing older driver versions (every time with a DDU wipe in between, of course)
Disabling and re-enabling G-Sync in NVCP
Unplugging and replugging monitor

Jesus. I guess I will have disabled GSync for now. What a !@#$show this launch is
07/17/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Urwrong
Jesus. I guess I will have disabled GSync for now.

A simple tl;dr of that thread with the workaround would just be this:

That'll get G-SYNC working until you restart your system. Then you simply need to run the .bat file again and away you go.
G-SYNC should be fully fixed with the latest driver update:
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/136673

Hopefully no need for tedious workarounds anymore. :)
08/01/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Kodiack
G-SYNC should be fully fixed with the latest driver update:
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/136673

Hopefully no need for tedious workarounds anymore. :)

Addendum: G-SYNC unfortunately does still have some issues. More info here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1045242/geforce-drivers/windows-april-update-1803-rs4-quot-spring-creators-quot-windowed-g-sync-is-broken/post/5846698/#5846698

Should be fully fixed up in a hopefully-not-too-distant hotfix driver.
I have created a short tutorial video on YouTube for improving game performance. Mostly for getting improved FPS without taking too much away from the quality of the graphics, as well as a tutorial on reducing your game's load times, so you don't have to stare at a loading screen forever.

I hope the video can help out some people whose computers might be struggling with the game right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8Dn1FzGI8

EDIT: Posting a link to a follow up video which addresses other possible concerns and tips for anyone whose system may still be struggling to play WoW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVyT3qUQT4&t=2s