Prot Warriors Stat Priority as of 5.0.5

Warrior
1 2 3 5 Next
Stamina > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (7.5%) > Mastery = Parry > Dodge

As thread creator I officially END THIS THREAD
Stamina > Hit/Exp > STR ~ Parry > other stuff
Deleted
I'm currently using the mrrobot one amt just to see how it works. So far, so good. I'll have to try it out a bit longer to be sure it's good, although being able to have some nice dps with avoidance is sick.
Mr. Robot's never really been great at tank metrics, but the general philosophy behind maintaining a steady rage income and mitigating damage has been (to my immediate knowledge) this:

Stam > Hit/Exp > STR ~ Parry > Mastery > other stuff

-OR-

Stam > STR ~ Parry > Hit/Exp > Dodge > other stuff

Admittedly with the second one I'm taking a few more personal liberties with interpreting what I think is "Best," but it really boils down to:

1) Maximize Stamina for burst as well as Hit/Exp to maintain rage income for AM abilities

-OR-

2) Maximize Stamina whilst simultaneously maximizing avoidance for raw overall damage reduction as well as proccing Revenge a lot for rage.

Those two points are really what you (I think) should be looking at and personally, I feel like the first method makes more sense and is a lot more reliable.

I'd stay away from Mr. Robot though; historically it's always been fairly bad for tanks, and with how muddled things are for us right now, I can't see it really getting any better.
I honestly don't think mastery is the go-to stat anymore since hits NOW go through two rolls - one for parry/dodge and the second for block should you fail to parry/dodge. Mastery itself doesn't increase your shield block % by that much, and good use of shield block means you have 100% block a good 80% of the time for consistent mitigation.
Well, despite mrrobot's bad rap, the parry chance from str has some truth in it, and since it is a "first-roll" stat (with a better dr than dodge) it seems viable, at least for the moment, after all, when mop comes out I highly doubt prot will use anything other than stam and avoidance stats again anyway /shrug ... only time will tell
On current gems,

Stam > Hit/exp Caps > Strength=Parry ≥ Mastery > Dodge

EH is king again now that CTC capping is impossible, so stack that health. That said, you need to be Exp and hit capped in order to maintain a steady flow of rage to keep up active mitigation. For the next couple of weeks, because parry and strength gems give the same amount of parry rating (current conversion from strength to parry rating is 1:1), gem strength. Basically the gem scheme you are looking at is going to be Stam/Strength for red, Stam/Mastery for yellow, and pure Stam for Blue

In MOP, Strength gems will give half as much strength as parry rating gems give. So basically Strength as something to gem for will fall of the map. The only that changes gem wise is Stam/strength to stam/parry.

As for Reforging, Reforge to hit and expertise caps, and reforge extra of those ratings and dodge into Mastery (increases rage gen through crit blocks) then parry. Never reforge into dodge as the Diminishing Returns are too harsh right now to make it a viable tanking stat for warriors.
I've been using the robot for my prot gear and have been very pleased with the results so far.
I honestly don't think mastery is the go-to stat anymore since hits NOW go through two rolls - one for parry/dodge and the second for block should you fail to parry/dodge. Mastery itself doesn't increase your shield block % by that much, and good use of shield block means you have 100% block a good 80% of the time for consistent mitigation.

It's not the increase in Block chance that makes mastery still a good stat.... it's the increase in Crit block that makes mastery still a strong stat. as our standard block will only block for 30% of dmg. and Crit block I believe is 60% of dmg. Therefore if we already have a very high block chance from shield block, would it not be a good option to give ourselves a good chance to increase the dmg mitigation by an additional 30%.

So the Priority I've been going with is Stam>Hit/Exp (caps 7.5)>Mastery>strength~parry>dodge
I was using the mrrobot way, but after a lot of people saying it should be the stam-mastery-parry way, i changed a few gems and reforges to mix them both. I'm not sure yet how it will turn out but I'm going to try what I have and go from there. (if you do look at gems and enchants, bear in mind that I have many alts and a divided gold pool xD)
ALL THE HEALTHS!

Stam>Hit/Exp>str~parry>Mastery>dodge

make sure you keep your parry 2.5 times higher than dodge to maximize avoidance and minimize DRs. so if you have 10% dodge you should have 25% parry.

I went pure stam gemming and followed my above rules for reforging and actually feel less spikey than before the patch.
Stam > Parry > Hit/Exp > Dodge > other stuff
ugh, Mr Robot suggests double agility axes for BIS for SMF non-heroic
Yeah I went with MrRobot in this case because I followed Noxxic on two of my other toons and got unfavorable results

Following the Noxxic advice..

Balance - pre 5.0.4 haste > mastery > crit
Balance - post 5.0.4 crit > mastery > haste

(while I understand that the crits increase the length of your dots by some seconds)

on madness for example, when I was pulling 50k before patch I pulled 30k with the new Noxxic preferences.

Mr Robot it is.
09/07/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Collateral
Stam > Parry > Hit/Exp > Dodge > other stuff

I'm not sure why you would prioritize parry over hit/exp under the consideration that the hit+exp cap is extremely accessible.
09/07/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Hearthesis
ugh, Mr Robot suggests double agility axes for BIS for SMF non-heroic

the proc makes it worth it. thats been the case since ds week 1
Put gear on your back, check.
Put stam on gear, check.
Get stuff to punch thing in front of you better, check.
Laugh at thing in front of you as you parry everything.
The only reason you should be going for hit/exp as a tank is if you completely fail at holding aggro with the moves you are given. Mitigation > DPS imo