Fire Mage Rotation 5.0.4

Mage
Hello everyone,

I recently noticed a lot of people on he forums asking about the optimum rotation for all Mage specs. Naturally, being a Mage myself I was interested in the answer to that question. I searched maxdps and Elitist jerks with no luck.

So, I took the initiative to test the numbers myself, in the process trying all different rotations my mind could come up with, and I have reached a conclusion.

The following rotation is for a Fire mage only (I mostly play fire), it is based on my own experience, numbers and gear so I cannot guarantee it will be exactly the same for everyone, but if you are following stat priorities, this rotation should be rewarding:

1. Keep Pyromaniac up (Highest priority)

- Nether Tempest: make sure to refresh before the previous bomb effect expires
- Living Bomb: make sure the bomb effect explodes before you refresh it

2. Filler spell until Heating Up procs

3. Cast Inferno Blast as soon as you can (do not cancel the cast you started right before Heating Up was about to proc, Inferno Blast has no travel time, its crit registers before the filler reaches the target for a double crit. This works best the further away you are from your target)

4. Cast Pyroblast!

5. As soon as it's in the air, cast Scorch if your Combustion is up, if not, move to step 1 and use your filler

(the reason being that if Pyroblast! crits, a fast cast time no travel time spell like scorch can score a second crit allowing for a second Pyroblast! proc giving you a higher ignite, greater burst and a window for an amazing Combustion)

6. If your Pyroblast! does not crit after Scorch return to your filler (Fireball/Frostfire Bolt), and repeat the rotation. Otherwise repeat step 5 if it crits again

I hope someone finds this useful

Special thanks to Garithel
1. Keep Mage Bomb up (Highest priority)

For those of you not using nether tempest, Burning hot streak is higher priority than bomb, but the buff applied by bomb is higher.

Should look like this:

1. Pyromaniac stays on the target

2. Burn Hot streak

3. Keep bomb active

4. IB on heating up

5. Filler spell (FB or FFB)

Scorching after HS procs is a dps loss over starting a fireball cast unless combustion is off cooldown AND you have combustion glyphed.

EDIT: Also should mention that to follow HS with scorch, one should have at least 35% crit chance.
09/03/2012 02:27 AMPosted by Garithel
For those of you not using nether tempest, Burning hot streak is higher priority than bomb, but the buff applied by bomb is higher.

I apologize, I should've clarified; the pyromaniac buff stays up for 2 extra seconds after the bomb effect expires. The pyromaniac effect itself has top priority because it essentially increases all your DPS on the target by 10%.

As for the difference between the bombs, Living bomb has to be allowed to expire for the explosion effect, nether tempest however does not. With nether tempest, having a 100% uptime will get you a few extra ticks over the course of the entire fight.

09/03/2012 02:27 AMPosted by Garithel
Scorching after HS procs is a dps loss over starting a fireball cast unless combustion is off cooldown

Completely true, I will modify the original post.

But I don't understand why you specifically stated 35% for scorch. Scorch IS affected by the fire spec passive Critical Mass which multiplies all fire spells' crit chance by 1.5 which means it would be on equal footing with all fire spells.

Thank you Garithel
09/03/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Manapulator
But I don't understand why you specifically stated 35% for scorch. Scorch IS affected by the fire spec passive Critical Mass which multiplies all fire spells' crit chance by 1.5 which means it would be on equal footing with all fire spells.

Scorching after HS requires such a high critical strike chance, because for it to be a dps increase, at least 1/4 of HS procs need to be crits followed by scorch crits.

For this to have a mathematically reasonable probability of happening, the caster needs a relativaly high crit chance (around 35%+).
...Scorch IS affected by the fire spec passive Critical Mass which multiplies all fire spells' crit chance by 1.5 which means it would be on equal footing with all fire spells...

Critical Mass does not effect 'all' Fire spells anymore
09/03/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Shivia
Critical Mass does not effect 'all' Fire spells anymore

No, but it affects all fire spells we are currently talking about.
Kinda cofused a lil but hopefully i will get it down :)
09/03/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Manapulator
As for the difference between the bombs, Living bomb has to be allowed to expire for the explosion effect, nether tempest however does not.

From what I read, not exactly. Supposedly, you still get the explosion if you refresh it before it has done it's last tick.
There is a sticky for Fire at the top of the forum, you don't need to necro threads.