Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

Druid
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Off topic I know but whenever another druid tries to moonfirespam me I have no choice but to stop whatever I'm doing and mangle his/her face off.

Perhaps you could call this guide "For the love of nature learn how to properly use moonfire in battlegrounds you silly chickens! Moonkin pve dps guide?"
Off topic I know but whenever another druid tries to moonfirespam me I have no choice but to stop whatever I'm doing and mangle his/her face off.

Perhaps you could call this guide "For the love of nature learn how to properly use moonfire in battlegrounds you silly chickens! Moonkin pve dps guide?"

If you stop chasing us, we'll hardcast.

Just sayin'.
I must be doing something wrong.

on a target dummy in Half Healing/Half DPS gear ilvl 384 I spent 4 minutes dpsing

Once the planets all aligned and I signed over my first born I managed to pull 14237 DPS overall

I loaded up my Shaman and switched to Elemental. Dpsing in FULL HEALING GEAR (forged/gemmed/chanted) ilvl 381 over the course of 4 minutes while partially surfing the net (dual monitors) I managed 20595 dps overall.

And I burned my Incarnation and my CA during that test. My elemental shaman didnt pop any cooldowns whatsoever.
on a target dummy in Half Healing/Half DPS gear ilvl 384 I spent 4 minutes dpsing
~14.2k

You're doing something horribly wrong
~14.2k

You're doing something horribly wrong

Thats what I said LOL.

Im gonna try studying the guide tomorrow and see if I can pick up some slack
Any suggested or must-have addons?
09/06/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Akasi

BalancePowerTracker, Tidy Plates, & Threat Plates. Power Auras is helpful too, but not as much as those imo.

It kinda goes without saying that you should have either Skada or Recount so you know when you are performing well and when you aren't so you can adjust your rotation. Recount can really slow down your frame rate, so if your computer or internet isn't all that great, go with Skada.

There's an addon called Loggerhead that will automatically start logging combat data when you enter a raid instance. I highly recommend you log your raids and upload them to World of Logs because it is a great way to analyze your performance more than Recount or Skada can do. You can also link to your logs if you ask for help on the forum.
BalancePowerTracker, Tidy Plates, & Threat Plates. Power Auras is helpful too, but not as much as those imo.

The new Power Auras is really not in a good place at the moment. It feels like they're actively trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I would suggest Weak Auras instead.

The new Power Auras is really not in a good place at the moment. It feels like they're actively trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I would suggest Weak Auras instead.

Actually, it's like any other addon, once you learn to use it, you'll be fine. They're rewriting the entire addon though.
09/05/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Tagartou
Didn't they increase the post limit to be huge? I hope that balance doesn't get so complex that we need 15 posts to describe everything.

I may perhaps potentially have OCD when it comes to organizing things. Maybe. There might be something about the new guides that are all in one post that make me twitch inside because they're so hard to navigate. Possibly. One could say that I find them to be fugly as well. Hypothetically speaking.

I plan to take full advantage of the increased character limit. But each topic will still have its own post and there will be a table of contents.

09/05/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Phaydre
Should I copy and paste my rendition of Eluial's and Cyous's rotation into this thread? Or just leave the links below to avoid clutter?

Up to you. Links work great, if only because I still get a kick out of seeing them all be actual links.
Double post cause quoting from different pages is hard.
09/06/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Akasi

I know Phaydre said it, but I can't emphasize enough how big Balance Power Tracker is. It's really unfortunate that Blizzard's eclipse bar is so lacking in options that this addon is borderline necessary (I'd be willing to omit the "borderline" but then some nerd would start a 10 page argument about how he's world 13.5th moonkin and he doesn't use BPT or some such).

And also just because I've been telling the whole world about it, Raven is an amazing addon. It's a buff/debuff tracker that is incredibly versatile. Captures the functionality of Satrina's buff bars, forteXorcist, quartz proc module, and any dot tracker you might use (such as classtimers). You can also use it to replace power auras as long as you don't mind that you don't get pretty auras -- just icons or bars (well, actually, I don't think you can do conditionals or stacked auras with Raven, so PA is still good for that).

It's definitely a different layout but I don't think it's inherently more complicated than the old PA. It's just... well... different. But that said, there's no reason to bang your head against a wall trying to figure out an addon if there's something else out there that functions the same and you find easier to use.
PS that rotation is working out really well for me, although I tend to start off the fight amazingly strong but taper off toward the middle until CoE and CA are ready again. I reached 95k for a couple seconds during my initial burst last night, and I was so excited!
I think it was a really good idea to reserve so many posts instead of relying on the increased character limit because it's easier to link to a specific topic with the # sign than to tell someone "go look at # post and hit Page Down 4 times if your screen resolution is set to 1280 x 1024" or "do a search for 'reforging' and click the next arrow until you find the right post." Hehe

Speaking of, I'll go ahead and move the spell rotation to this thread when I get home and I'll reserve 4 posts for it since it got to be really long and confusing with only 3...

If you like, I'll just copy/paste it into the reserved posts at beginning of the thread. With your permission (and credit to you) of course. :)
09/06/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Phaydre
That's an even better idea cuz some of the rotation stuff might change and I don't want to miss updating the info. Been pretty good about it so far but I'm about to begin wedding planning and that means less WoW and more exercise and tanning. Lol

Done!

I just put it all in one post because I'm not too worried about appearances for now, and I think it flows pretty well anyway. I doubt much is going to change in the next couple weeks, and I'll be rewriting everything for level 90.
09/06/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Phaydre
BalancePowerTracker

This omg this. Wonderful, just wonderful. Now instead of guessing and throwing in 1-2 more wraiths in a moon eclipse, it warns me and I start casting Starfire.

Thank you so much, maybe this will help my quest in finding out what im doing wrong hehe
I like having the guides broken up into multiple posts for the sake of convenience and ease of reading. I like having the increased character limit just so that I can choose WHEN to break up the guide and when to keep sections together.

Sticky swaps for the druid forum are relatively trivial since all it takes is 2 seconds for me to shoot off an e-mail. :P
I know this is a PvE guide, but I can't find a up-to-date PvP guide anywheres >.<.

So I'm just wondering if any of you happen to know the stat prio~ for PvP. Is it the same/similar to PvE orr ...?
considering how easily and how frequently Shooting Stars procs now that we are stacking Crit, would it be beneficial to create a macro:

/stopcasting
/cast Starsurge

I have seen it proc 2-3 times in a row, and SS obviously hits a lot harder than both Starfire and Wrath, so it would make more sense for me to interrupt that long Starfire/Wrath cast to use SS. Until now I have just been moving to interrupt myself, and that takes 2 clicks, whereas this would take one.

Are there any obvious-to-you macros you could share that might be not-so-obvious to those less experienced with the spec?

I tried creating mouseover macros for Sunfire and Moonfire one time for aoe and found that it actually hindered me because the health bars were so close together I was casting on the same target multiple times.

I really don't have many macros set up for my Boomkin right now.
- Nature's Swiftness paired with Rebirth for instant brez, also distinguishes between in combat and not so it casts normal rez if not in combat
- Nature's Swiftness paired with Healing Touch (mouseover) for instant heal
- Barkskin with Lifeblood (Herbalism) for dmg reduction and self-heal

What am I missing?