Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

Druid
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
Has anyone looked at the boss fights in these raids and determined if we should swap to a different talent for certain fights due to fight mechanics, high movement, etc?
09/22/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Phaydre
Has anyone looked at the boss fights in these raids and determined if we should swap to a different talent for certain fights due to fight mechanics, high movement, etc?

That's the entire point of talents.

SoTF will be good for DPS races without a need for burst (...sustained DPS basically).
Incarnation will be a bursty CD, thus it serves better use for encounters like Spine or Zon'ozz.
Treants may as well be both sustained and burst.
Guess I worded my question poorly. I know that's the point of talents; I was trying to get a breakdown of which talents are recommended for which specific boss fights. I'm not familiar enough yet with the raid bosses to know which are fights with the need for burst or sustained dps. (Edit: In MoP)
09/23/2012 04:59 AMPosted by Phaydre
Guess I worded my question poorly. I know that's the point of talents; I was trying to get a breakdown of which talents are recommended for which specific boss fights. I'm not familiar enough yet with the raid bosses to know which are fights with the need for burst or sustained dps. (Edit: In MoP)

It varies between the aid groups.

Do you need more sustained, more burst? Only need to the complete encounter once to know which one you need. :) (I don't have answers)
Once raids are out on live I'll be working on the raid boss tips section with some general moonkin tips for dealing with those fights. For now, I don't feel comfortable making any recommendations. Reading or watching a video is one thing, experiencing the fight another.
I'm so glad this thread exists. :3 Now I feel less like a confused chicken. Woo!
holy !@#$ leveling as moonkin sucked.

At super terrible gear levels, i strongly suggest Haste.
All fixed.
09/27/2012 03:58 AMPosted by Cyous
holy !@#$ leveling as moonkin sucked.

Completely agree. If I hadn't spent 85-87 spamming dungeons & questing with friends and 88-90 questing with another friend, I would have spent another 2 days getting to 90. The 87-88 period where I was on my own SUCKED. I couldn't pull more than 2 mobs at a time without risking my life and spending two minutes slowing killing them with dots while I spam-healed myself. If I wasn't so die-hard (literally) Boomkin - and uneducated about Feral - I would have re-spec'ed Feral for leveling.

Never died so many times while questing. Even when my Spriest friend was with me, there were a few times when we got overwhelmed and wiped, plus a few more times besides those where I died, ran back, then released in time to save him from dying too. He had Tranq from Symbiosis and used it on a number of occasions, so thank you Blizz for that at least.

P.S. Not sure why my avatar still says 89 as I'm typing this. I got to 90 last night and have logged in and out of that toon a dozen times since then today.
09/27/2012 03:58 AMPosted by Cyous
At super terrible gear levels, i strongly suggest Haste.

This is starting to look like very good advice from where I'm at right now.

09/27/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Iollan
You should never said this... I'm anal... will update as I see things.

THANK YOU. No, seriously. ILU. The item not found stuff I've seen already and just haven't gotten to yet, but yes, all the silly typos, please point them out as you see them.

09/27/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Phaydre
The 87-88 period where I was on my own SUCKED. I couldn't pull more than 2 mobs at a time without risking my life and spending two minutes slowing killing them with dots while I spam-healed myself.

Right now I'm about half way through 87 and I haven't found this to be the case at all. I've been pulling anywhere from 2-6 mobs at a time (depending on how hard they hit), and I haven't died yet from overpulling (there was one really close incident, though, where I pulled too many by accident and some of them stunned...). I see other players overpulling and dying all the time, though. Silly squishies.

Typhoon, ursol's vortex, barkskin and NS/HT are amazing. Plus rejuv actually heals for quite a bit. Really I feel like I've been kicking !@# and taking names. I'm generally a slow leveler, but I haven't found anything to be very difficult yet. My biggest problem is usually just finding the quest items/mobs since everything is so crowded.
Edit: Everything's okay, move along now.
Are the 2 missing enchants:
- http://www.wowdb.com/spells/104407-enchant-boots-greater-haste
- http://www.wowdb.com/spells/104416-enchant-gloves-greater-haste

Also, is it even possible to hit the 10th tick (5273) breakpoint?
I'm fairly certain trinket procs/on use effects don't get caught by the wowhead filters. But since the site seems to be down all the time lately, I can't check for sure. But, for example, the newest brewfest caster trinket procs spellpower.

Are the 2 missing enchants:
- http://www.wowdb.com/spells/104407-enchant-boots-greater-haste
- http://www.wowdb.com/spells/104416-enchant-gloves-greater-haste

Also, is it even possible to hit the 10th tick (5273) breakpoint?

Yes to the enchants. Between wowhead sucking and my computer at work being so old that it can't handle wowDB's scripts, I'm kind of unable to do anything here (and when I go home I just want to play...).

For the break point, I think by the time you get to where you could reach that you should have your 4pc and therefore not need that breakpoint anymore. But I haven't really spent a lot of time looking at non-heroic gear levels yet (because again... just been leveling).

edit#2 Iollan, you can just continue to edit either one of your posts with things you find. I'll keep checking them. Once I hit 90 and finish the initial rush of getting geared up and stuff I'll do a thorough pass to fix typos/formatting, and also update the information with new findings and stuff.
I'm fairly certain trinket procs/on use effects don't get caught by the wowhead filters. ... But, for example, the newest brewfest caster trinket procs spellpower.

Okies. I'll clear the post. I figured I was missing something.

edit#2 Iollan, you can just continue to edit either one of your posts with things you find. I'll keep checking them. ... I'll do a thorough pass to fix typos/formatting, and also update the information with new findings and stuff.

Everything I found has been fixed. I've cleared both posts.
Raising a fairly minor point here, but with NV up, for movement Nature's Swiftness+Healing Touch nets more dps in a gcd than the direct damage of moonfire in a single target fight, so you could do that when you just need to slightly re-position your character and make more efficient use of that that gcd, or you could go with NS+HT -> Moonfire, as opposed to 2x Moonfire in a slightly longer movement phase.

Right now I'm seeing it do roughly the same damage as a fully lunar shower stacked Moonfire, but you could cast it on a spec like feral druids that have heals on them increased by a %, or someone that actually needs the heal. I can see NS being saved for other things, though, and with mastery as low as it currently is, it's only natural to expect our eclipsed sources of damage to be alot lower than they were.
Raising a fairly minor point here, but with NV up, for movement Nature's Swiftness+Healing Touch nets more dps in a gcd than the direct damage of moonfire in a single target fight, so you could do that when you just need to slightly re-position your character and make more efficient use of that that gcd, or you could go with NS+HT -> Moonfire, as opposed to 2x Moonfire in a slightly longer movement phase.

Right now I'm seeing it do roughly the same damage as a fully lunar shower stacked Moonfire, but you could cast it on a spec like feral druids that have heals on them increased by a %, or someone that actually needs the heal. I can see NS being saved for other things, though, and with mastery as low as it currently is, it's only natural to expect our eclipsed sources of damage to be alot lower than they were.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'll put it under advanced tips.

I really honestly do plan on doing a run through and fixing a lot of things up. I finally hit 90 so hopefully early this week I'll be doing some clean up.
I was wondering, is there a base amount of haste that one should look towards having? Kind of realized I'm not going to be anywhere near the 5.7k haste breakpoint so I was wondering if I should just forgo what I have towards crit, or if there's some base amount of haste I should have.
Just a note

09/05/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Eluial
Use Astral Communion to move your eclipse bar to be one wrath away from solar (solar generates 30 eclipse energy when outside of eclipse).

Words. First solar should be lunar, second should be wrath. Silly goose.

Also, really digging the advanced rotation tips. They're so...informative. xP Great work overall! Wanted to make sure what I assumed was correct was correct.
10/02/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Dagglet
Words.

It's been my experience that words are very, very difficult. Thanks for catching that! :D

I've also updated the advanced rotation tips to be a lot more informative (though still not as informative as they could be), updated the gems section a bit, and fixed other miscellaneous things.

Honestly, the trinkets really have me scratching my head, though. I'll probably end up doing a compromise between Graylo's rankings and what WC says, since WC tends to undervalue on-use trinkets.

10/01/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Asinine
I was wondering, is there a base amount of haste that one should look towards having? Kind of realized I'm not going to be anywhere near the 5.7k haste breakpoint so I was wondering if I should just forgo what I have towards crit, or if there's some base amount of haste I should have.

Check wrathcalcs!! I have not yet done this for myself, since we're not doing our first raid until Sunday, but basically, it's entirely possible that you want some minimum amount of haste just so our casts aren't so damn slow. Wrathcalcs will tell you if that's the case. (Load yourself up and look at the stat weights it gives. If haste is higher than crit, then keep stacking haste til it falls below crit.)
As far as I've tested on WrathCalcs, hitting that 5273 haste breakpoint will be best until we get 4pc T14. It's entirely possible, I'm sitting at 4588 haste, and I still have a 442 hat on (loss of stats + gem). Think I only have a 462 ilvl or something.