[PSA] Limit your FPS or risk overheating!

Mac Technical Support
My Maxfps command hasn't changed anything.... right when i need to do my best, because of combat, my mouse starts jumpin around, sliding all over, jittery video, jittery sound.

Be nice if Blizzard would patch the software... far too many people having issues on far too many configurations to try to tweek individual computers that have no problem with anything outside of WoW.

Customers are waiting.....
The issue here is not that the FPS cap isn't in place by default, it is that the FPS cap is too high and needs to be at a maximum of 60 outside of 3D monitor use.

^ I been complaining about this for a long time. D3 as well. D3's fps cap default is like 150 or something really obnoxious. Neither game should default higher than 60, and in fact, they should detect if it's a macbook and automatically lower it to 50 for latest ones, 40 for ones before it and 30 for the rest. apple laptops just blow and are overheating disasters when run at max load load periods of time.
Thank you soo much for the insight on the FPS cap issue. I lost out on my Guild raid today, because of wow freezing/crashing my computer, repeatedly, the second that we pulled... My CPU/GPU/HDD were all around 35 degrees, and my FPS was 80-100, with 62 latency home/world. I was like WTH, those are perfect conditions usually... Thnx Blizz : /
That really sucks man, and is exactly what I'm talking about. We're paying monthly dues to play this game, Blizz takes our money so it can live up to its mission statement, lol, or so one would think.

It's a shame really that they can't admit the issues, at least then the users it's happening to wouldn't think we were going crazy, wouldn't need to feel belittled by 'Support' for checking this, checking that, deleting my WTF folder, reinstalling, ran around in circles until we're blue in the face...

If our voices aren't heard here, where might they be?
Dropped my 560Ti's max temp by 20C using OP's method. Awesome thread, would save hundreds of dollars on replacement hardware again.
Glad to see this is still helping people out. :)

Question: I have a regular 2011 Macbook (last of its kind to be released before regular Macbooks were discontinued) and I've done as directed in the first post. My CPU temps when not playing WoW vary from 32 - 50 degrees Celsius, but are usually in the low 40's. When I play WoW my CPU temp varies from 60 degrees to 75 degrees Celsius. Is this normal?
Yes, that is normal. In fact, your temperatures are actually the envy of most laptop owners, so that means you've done one great job of keeping your maching in tip top shape. :)

After several different attempts to solve my overheating issues, capping my FPS was the answer. My video card was reaching 109c. Since I have a laptop and basic level video card (NVIDIA Geoforce 310M), I selected 30FPS as the cap. I opened CPUID HWMonitor and began raiding. FPS ranged from 20-30 and temp maxed at 70c.

Thank you Tiapriestess! This is a great post and I highly advise others having this type of problem to consider this as a solution.
12/19/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Cült
Thank you Tiapriestess! This is a great post and I highly advise others having this type of problem to consider this as a solution.

Anytime, mate! :)

Hi, I hope everyone has had a merry christmas and is enjoying their holidays thus far. I have got a few questions pertaining to the macbook pro retina's resolution, appropriate CPU temperature and about the fan speeds.

On the MacBook Pro retina base model what resolution should I play at? The default resolution is 2880 x 1800 (wide). Is it okay to have my fans maxed out at ~6k RPM, and if not what is an appropriate speed I should keep them at. Finally what is the appropriate CPU/GPU temperature I should hover around. Thanks!
Hi, I hope everyone has had a merry christmas and is enjoying their holidays thus far. I have got a few questions pertaining to the macbook pro retina's resolution, appropriate CPU temperature and about the fan speeds.

On the MacBook Pro retina base model what resolution should I play at? The default resolution is 2880 x 1800 (wide). Is it okay to have my fans maxed out at ~6k RPM, and if not what is an appropriate speed I should keep them at. Finally what is the appropriate CPU/GPU temperature I should hover around. Thanks!

The rMBP's resolution should be set to "Best for Retina", and you then use the in-game resolutions pulldown menu to choose a resolution close to what you wish to play at. That is, if you want to play at 1920x1200 (a valid 16:10 resolution), you pick the closest resolution to that on the pulldown menu - they will not match since Blizzard went with non-standard resolutions that are supposed to match your current aspect ratio, but not necessarily VESA standard timings. For this particular question, I would answer with no higher than whatever resolution is closest to 1920x1200 in the in-game pulldown menu.

You should then also set your game up as indicated in my first post in this thread. This will both decrease overall fan levels and temperatures. Temperatures between 60°C and 80°C are generally acceptable, though you can hit 85°C in some cases depending on what is being rendered. If you hit the lower half of this range, you've done your job and should be proud - you're the envy of most laptop owners.

Why not use SMC control to make fans run fast? I do it on my rMBP.

EDIT: Ookay... I get it.
http://shover.us/QQZl9f
I'd also like to note, that if you have a pre-retina MacBook (which has the air intakes on the side), all the other MacBooks draw air in through the keyboard (I can't instantly think of any exceptions), so if you're using them in clamshell mode (that is, with the lid shut, external mouse & KB, external monitor, and plugged into the power adapter), it WILL run hotter. MUCH hotter.

This includes if you're using a cool Hengedock or similar docking station that lets you run with the lid closed.

I own a Hengedock, and I absolutely love it, but I can't recommend it for gaming at all. During warmer days, my fps would stutter badly during WoW which was instantly solved by taking it out of the dock & running it hooked up to the same stuff with the lid open - and performance improved!

So, MacBook owners, don't run WoW with your lid shut!
Thanks to all for the advice in this thread. I am experiencing crazy temperatures which are heating my mac up to the point where they keys are too hot to touch.

As soon as I close WoW down, temp drops immediately.

With iStat am registering 187F on GPU diode and 175F on GPU. Cannot be good?
I am running a rMBP 2.6Ghz i7 quad core 16GB. This has never happened in the 6 months i have had the machine and only really started to be an issue in the last month.

I took it into the mac store and they verified nothing wrong and ran 3 days of diagnostics. I have erased cache, wtf to desktop, updated all addons and restricted max FPS and still machine is overheating. Anyone else?
That is 79.444444444444451° C for the CPU and 86.111111111111118° C for the GPU. That is toward the upper threshold, but within tolerance limits. The GPU worries me slightly if that is the sustained temperature though. Are you sure that you have the system set to always use the nVidia GPU instead of the HD 4000? Trying to run the settings normally associated with the 650M while running on the HD 4000 can really heat things up.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Thanks! I will give that a go, for anyone else running into this issue, you can disable automatic graphics switching, forcing your mac to use the higher graphics processor in system preferences, energy saver - uncheck automatic graphics switching.

Tia - will give a go and report back. Thanks for the speedy response. Fingers crossed!
Update - Tried disabling automatic switching to permanently set it to Nvidia - no difference, still immediately upon opening WOW temps climb to in excess of 175/184F on GPU and GPU diode. The instant i quit the game the temps halve and fans calm down so there is something in the game that sends it crazy.

I have tried limiting FPS and still no change. This never used to happen until recently, and cannot help wondering if as a result of some patch? Any more suggestions as don't want to quit WOW but this is making game unplayable. Thanks.
Hi there!

I understand that this was intended to help people on Mac's. Since i notice it is in the Mac Tech support section. But I just wanted to stop by and personally thank you VERY much for this information. I had been having the exact same issue and I am on PC. I hadn't realized I left the FPS limiter off and my temps were sky high.. close to 80c. Enabled the FPS limiter after reading your insightful post, and I am back to getting 46-50c under load in game again.

You've potentially saved the life of my cards and my wallet.

Regards

Shosho <3