Magerogue

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Mages can turn invisible. I would imagine that a mage could just start wearing leather and carrying poisoned daggers, and they'd pretty much be a magical rogue. So I was wondering, does it exist?
No.
No it just doesn't exist in the game, or no it isn't possible?
I would imagine it exists in game but I wouldn't recommend trying to rp as 1
I'm not. People would burn me at the stake for it. I was just wondering if it existed.
No it does not exist in lore.
09/02/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Istella

/thread
If you take the Dungeons and Dragons Duel class perspective, then yes, its entirely plausible, and even so, very functional and practical. Although I've yet to see this RP'D, In the Lore itself, or even brought up until now. So it's an idea I'd probably wanna save for Guild Rp, or just leave it to yourself.
Thedarkmanjo looks like such a serious night elf o.O . Like an owl almost.

Further more, I imagine it's entirely plausible, however the character in question would likely serious fail at one aspect or another, or be equally weak at both. I mean, anyone can carry around a poisoned dagger, however rogues are specifically trained to use such daggers. In theory, anyone can become a magic user of some sort, but it takes specific training to be able to hone any true power.

Having someone immerse themselves in that sort of training COULD be possible in-game -if they had a class change-, but not really plausible in lore -if you wanted to be skilled in any way.

The only exceptions I could think of would be elves, draenei, undead, or really old heroes (but if they're old, they'd be sort of useless), since the former three live -or do some degree of living- for an extremely long amount of time.
Thedarkmanjo, we meet again for the first time.

09/02/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Zelphyius

/thread
09/02/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Fubaru
we meet again for the first time.

...? o.O Again, but for the first time?

CHROMIE!? WHAT HAPPENED?
09/02/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Laviette
we meet again for the first time.

...? o.O Again, but for the first time?

CHROMIE!? WHAT HAPPENED?

Think about it.

We meet again for the first time.
Sentences can be reversed from the Subject and predicate\
For the first time we meet again.
09/02/2012 06:34 PMPosted by Thedarkmanjo
If you take the Dungeons and Dragons Duel class perspective, then yes, its entirely plausible, and even so, very functional and practical.

dungeons and dragons=/=wow
Think about it.

*stares at Chromie*
*stares at Fubaru*
*looks back hopelessly to Chromie, hoping she'll make some sense of it.*
*stares at Chromie* *stares at Fubaru* *looks back hopelessly to Chromie, hoping she'll make some sense of it.*

You'll never get that answer.

On topic, the answer will be no, it has never been seen in lore nor will it ever be in Lore. So, no.
Gonna be honest; This character here is this to an *extremely* small degree. It's more or less Laviette's first concept. He's a very weak mage... at least offensively. He does have some skill in a few smaller utility-based spells.

I mostly use it to explain a few things... like being able to change my outfit instantly at the push of a button. Or where my fist weapons (RP weapons) come from when I pull them out, since they don't sheath visibly.

I also use it to slightly reflavor one or two of my spells: he's not using the shadows to teleport or anything weird like that (Killing Spree, Shadowstep), he's essentially using Blink, though more targetted and perhaps a bit more rapidly.

If anyone comes to him with anything really seriously magic-related though, he's clueless. He knows a bit, having grown up around mages his entire life, but if there's some real magic that needs done, he defers to the expert: Gramps.
Think about it.

*stares at Chromie*
*stares at Fubaru*
*looks back hopelessly to Chromie, hoping she'll make some sense of it.*

"We have met, and this is the first time we have met again"
09/03/2012 12:57 AMPosted by Fubaru
"We have met, and this is the first time we have met again"

That makes more sense. xD

If anyone comes to him with anything really seriously magic-related though, he's clueless. He knows a bit, having grown up around mages his entire life, but if there's some real magic that needs done, he defers to the expert: Gramps.

Exactly xD Characters like that are generally pretty awesome xD.
Personally I do not think it's that bad for a character to have identity issues. Perhaps he is a mage with a greedy side, he wants to aquire things and turns invisible to snatch herbs or ore out from under those who are searching for it?

I can see another angle as well. Perhaps you roll a rogue. But his family is one of all mages and they keep trying to get him to give up his thieving ways to learn the ways of arcane?

Or, a rogue who is afraid of magic in all forms, yet has an innate ability he has to keep suppressed? Blood elf would be good for this as they have some innate abilities to use small magics. I fail to see stealth as anything but a minor spell of some kind to make you invisible to your enemies.
As Laviette said, any one can carry a dagger. The training to learn magic would likly have taken up much of the time that could have gone towrds learning to fight, creep, distract, make poisons, make business conections, get street smart, etc.

Though with Harmarths character, that little bit of magic may be just enough to make up for most of the weaker areas. Or atleast allow him to survive through a combination of luck and magic ability. Depending on how the toon is played.

So, as with most things, it's possible. Just be careful with the Marry Sue "I have a little bit of magic to take care of that............and that.............and that." that would be easy to fall into. And remeber, we can only have 100%. Time spent in one area means time isn't spent training in another.