A Few Preliminary Lock-tank Priority Numbers

Warlock
FOR THE TL;DR FOLKS, READ ONLY THE UNDERLINED, ITALICIZED, BOLD PORTIONS FOR KEY REASONS AND INFO

***NOTE: I'M AWARE OF OVERSIMPLIFICATIONS MADE ABOUT STAT SYNERGIES***

I've been working a bit on getting actual numerical evidence and logic to at least have an educated guess at what's REALLY the best stat priority for the aspiring lock-tank. People with main tanks feel free to chime in and dispute/validate my thoughts.

I began with the thought that locks lack crit immunity and cannot block or parry. (WTH, why can't we parry?! We've got a staff/ main/off hand, parry with those!) Thus, we will need a very high effective health to absorb random 150k crits from bosses. Naturally, this a similar issue to a progression tank that needs to be able to take shots from monsters he's only barely geared enough to survive the big shots.

Progression tanks often do this through maximizing effective health through increased stam and whatever mitigations are available, in locks' case, we use armor and mastery. Unfortunately for locks, we simply don't have an easy way to get more armor other than simply getting the highest ilevel cloth gear we can get, which is heroic DS gear at the moment. Why I say cloth gear is healer gear or not is largely immaterial to a lock tank, unless the piece in question has mastery on it, or a single particularly high secondary stat that can be reforged to a useful one. The key is maximizing the amount of armor which only really comes with ilevel.

"So what?" I'm sure you're asking, "We are here for stat priorities!"

Patience, I'm trying to explain why I think they are what they are so you agree rather than swallow them blindly.

The tanklock can achieve high effective health through: armor, mastery and stamina. Stamina and armor are obvious as to how they increase effective health. Mastery is accomplished through its influence on physical damage reduction (physmit) from the Dark Apotheosis stance. DA, begins with 13.85% physmit with zero mastery. Unfortunately it takes approximately 2500 mastery to achieve 20% from DA. Both DA and metamorphosis both give warlocks an extra 350% more armor from a given piece, thus increasing the difference of a higher armor stat on a given piece by 3.5x. So, keep this in mind when selecting pieces of armor to wear over others of a lower ilevel with better secondary stats.

Example: My cloak has an armor value of 769, when in DA, it gives 2692 rating and 1.8% physmit. Were you to have a cloak with lesser armor, the difference between the cloaks would be amplified by 3.5x.

For all practical purposes, at approximately 58% armor physmit, it takes ~1500 armor per 1% additional physmit. This appears to be some brutal DR on its surface but it actually isn't in terms of effective health. It's actually linear. I'll decline to explain this, because it'll make this already long post longer.

Mastery follows the same rules as armor in that it's a physmit producer that suffers from false DR in that it has a linear effect on effective health. I took it upon myself to create the table below assuming 58.81% physmit from armor:

mastery--effective health on 200,000 health--diff from 0%
0-------564163---0.00%
337----569851---1.01%
532----573212---1.60%
973----580607---2.91%
1372--587414---4.12%
1556--590554---4.68%
1575--590842---4.73%
1920--596791---5.78%
2378--604586---7.17%
6664--678997---20.35%

Were you to graph the above you would see a perfectly straight line tracking from 0 to the absurd 6664 mastery. More importantly, there is the conversion of ~335 mastery to 1% effective health. Granted this is calculated from a fixed armor value and is subject to change as stamina rises and lowers but it gives a good idea of the value of mastery in relation to the other primary driver (that we can do something about significantly) of effective health, stam.

At 200k health (using grim-of-sac) which is a reasonable health total for a tank gearing warlock, and at 0% mastery, it takes approximately 119 stamina to increase the effective health up 1%. It takes even less as total mitigation rises; at 2378 mastery, 119 stam creates 8.24% more effective health. Thus, it's easy to see that stamina is the stat to gem for, ESPECIALLY when you realize you get more stam per gem than you do mastery per gem, plus the conversion is better.

Now, we've established that stam and mastery are the primary stats for high effective health. The other thing to think about is avoidance. Avoidance makes a tank much more efficient to heal, as opposed to mitigation that makes a tank more forgiving to heal. The only avoidance stat we have is dodge. Starting at zero dodge, you have 3.01% dodge chance. With every ~283 dodge for the first 15% or so, you'll gain 1% more dodge. Dodge is like crit, a damage reduction on average, but it's spotty and RNG can be a cruel master. Thus, while dodge will on average reduce incoming damage by 1% for every ~283 rating, (multiplicative with mitigation) it will be over the VERY extended average, and subject to spikes and lulls of damage as you dodge and not-dodge according to RNG. Technically, dodge scales better per rating but it's unreliable nature makes it difficult to recommend over mastery.

With this logic in mind I propose the following stat priority for tanklocks.

15% hit>stam>>mastery=dodge>int (for threat and weak effect on fury ward)>>>haste (for weak effect on fury generation)
Ta-da!

This is nice.

Just to add one word of caution - don't replace your weapon with a tank weapon because spellpower is still a decent stat in large quanities. 400 intellect won't make or break you on fury ward because it's only around 400 spellpower, but the 3k or so you have on your weapon makes a very big difference.
Why? We are not meant to tank and the glyph should only be used in emergencies which means your normal demo stats will be the priority anyways. The only purpose a tank setup would have would be flag carrying in bgs and other classes do it better.
09/11/2012 03:10 AMPosted by Lerajie
Why? We are not meant to tank and the glyph should only be used in emergencies which means your normal demo stats will be the priority anyways. The only purpose a tank setup would have would be flag carrying in bgs and other classes do it better.

Because we can, and do tank. I've tanked HoTs, could tank Alazibal easily if our taunt wasn't broken (though I'm certain I could anyway if done carefully). in fact I'm, pretty certain I could tank a normal DS boss as long as tank switching wasn't necessary. I don't really think that 'carrying the flag' is remotely the only useful place and it's unfortunate how conventional some people are.

I clearly explained why the stats are the priority there. I suppose I did ignore spellpower, which should be just above haste but behind Int. We are very much capable of pulling 15k+ (and likely much higher) with just 8k SP, that's enough threat to hold off 75k worth of DPS. We don't need to pull more damage with Int, SP, haste, crit, to increase this and the only other effect is a tiny bit or healing/shielding from fury ward and mortal coil etc; so no, the normal stat priorities for demo no longer apply when tanking with DA.
Without Crit Immunity, leave the tanking to the real tanking classes.
This is some nice work and well thought out. But your building this idea around extremely nerfed content coupled with, most often, over geared players for said content.

At 90, it won't be building stats to survive those boss crits, they will drop you in 1 quick blow from 100%-0%. I've had it done to me as a lock tank at 90 on heroic 5 man bosses. There was a point in beta that Feng in the LFR testing was glitched and allowed to crit tanks. Those tanks with all their armor, health, mitigation, and designed tank specs were 1 shot.

The glyph is a novelty currently. You can use it to tank things that you and your healer far out gear, or the content is overly nerfed. Doesn't make it a tank, makes it a gimmick. Though, I'm not saying you can't have fun with it in that form.
I would NOT want to tank on my warlock that would be boring as hell also only time i had to tank in a heroic was when some noob guardian druid got owned so i had to pop dark apo and keep allt he aggro on me which isnt hard considering i can now steal aggro from tanks lul
Thanks for doing the math.

I'm using DA a lot for soloing and I have almost a full extra set of H T13 gear, so it's nice to know how to gem and reforge.

Also, DRAIN LIFE. Stam also increases the tick amount of Drain life while Haste also increases the tick speed of Drain Life, though I'm not sure how to model that against other stats. 2% per second (before other factors) at 200k max health is 4000 HPS. Each 1% Haste adds 40 HPS, so that's ~.312 HPS per Haste point. 1 point of Stam with Sac and Fort is 18.48 health per point. That's .3696 HPS per point.
You may not use Drain Life much while attempting to tank for a group, but it's bread-and-butter for soloing.

Edit: I forgot about the heal from GoSac. So, that's an extra .07392 HPS per point of Stam, for a total of 0.44352 HPS per Stam.
It's pretty low TBH. Though I do see your point. I currently use Harvest Life to tank groups. You should try it.

Though I wouldn't really gem stam unless I was leveling through throw away gear. Damage will likely be a better place to spend resources, even in DA. Furthermore, I'd never use grimofsac solo, as your voidwalker and wrathguard have far superior passive damage reduction than you.

That being said, I find it fun to plop down in twilight highlands at the camp where the horde and alliance are battling at the gates on a twilight camp and pull EVERYTHING and just tank it all to death without breaking a sweat.
If you don't want to tank guys, fine. It's not like anyone is forcing you to.
This is however helpful to me, because I was using dark apotheosis with a hunter friend to try and solo old content, thanks for the info.
If you don't want to tank guys, fine. It's not like anyone is forcing you to.
This is however helpful to me, because I was using dark apotheosis with a hunter friend to try and solo old content, thanks for the info.

As you said. OLD CONTENT
09/11/2012 09:17 AMPosted by Brugloch

Because we can, and do tank. I've tanked HoTs, could tank Alazibal easily if our taunt wasn't broken (though I'm certain I could anyway if done carefully). in fact I'm, pretty certain I could tank a normal DS boss as long as tank switching wasn't necessary. I don't really think that 'carrying the flag' is remotely the only useful place and it's unfortunate how conventional some people are.

Exactly.

I've tanked all HoT dungeons (the assassin !@#$% is fun to tank when you're silenced for 75% of the fight - immo aura is your friend), heroic Morchok, and all heroic trash without problems. Assuming I get lucky on Thurs with some heroic gear, next week should be doable to try H Yorsahj and H Zonozz.