Nether Tempest

Mage
As an arcane mage, I decided to try a build with Nether Tempest rather than Living Bomb or Frost Bomb. The following is my reaction to the spell.

First up, it slots very neatly into a basic rotation for arcane mages. As far as I can see, that rotation would go something like Nether Tempest - Arcane Blast spam (3 times to recover mana, and 5 times to keep mana stable) - clear all Arcane Missiles - Arcane Barrage - rinse and repeat (making sure to refresh Nether Tempest).

For burst damage, I think you'd have an initial Nether Tempest, but you wouldn't bother too much with refreshing it.

Against small groups (3-5 mobs), I tried putting Nether Tempest on all the mobs before starting on the basic rotation with the toughest mob, but the numbers weren't especially high, and as a means of doing aoe I didn't think it was much fun. It lacked the stress relief of spamming Arcane Explosion, or the enjoyable visuals of Fire Orb or Blizzard.

I play a mage, rather than a hunter or warlock, because I enjoy flinging around flashy spells. Nothing gives me as much satisfaction as seeing Arcane Missiles streaming towards my foe. I'd rather enjoyed Fire Orb too, and was disappointed at its disappearance in 5.0.4. It was such a cool-looking spell. All Blizzard need to do is find class mechanics that make it a worthwhile spell to cast (oh, and a minor glyph that converts Fire Orb into an Arcane Orb or a scintillating Orb of Many Colours).

And, let's face it, Blizzard's intention was to make Arcane less boring. I applaud that intent. Changes were badly needed to the spec. But the problem is, Nether Tempest isn't a very exciting spell to cast. It's just, essentially, another button in the basic rotation.
Fire blast glyph it. Use it every time its up for aoe.
I agree, the Nether Tempest spell seemed like it had a little more potential. I am being patient until level 90, where I am hoping arcane will start to feel more like itself again.

09/09/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Elona
All Blizzard need to do is find class mechanics that make it a worthwhile spell to cast (oh, and a minor glyph that converts Fire Orb into an Arcane Orb or a scintillating Orb of Many Colours).

O.O

YES! Gimme!~
I really like nether tempest with one exception, it hits EVERYTHING within 10 yards, even neutral creatures. casting it to get a mob in the middle of a heard of level 88 stags is not smart even for a level 90 arcane mage LOL
nether tempest is fail for all raiding/pve, frost bomb is required for high dps.
09/09/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Elona
rotation
That's where I stopped reading.
I tend to be more of a "RP" type player and I like really invest in my characters in terms of flavor. I don't know what is wrong with me or why I do this. What this means is that if I spec Arcane, I'll tend to pick as many Arcane talents as I can just to support that type of flavor. I also tend to dye my hair different colors based on my spec (Black for Arcane, White for Frost, and Red for Fire). I know, I'm a joke. That said, I picked Nether Tempest for my Arcane spec and I really loved it! I don't know if it was the right choice but it fit my character profile really well! I wish they'd add in a few more flashy spells for Arcane - we are mages after all!

For example, I wish we could set off our Nether Tempest early, which explodes out the remaining damage on the spell in an Arcane Blast. Perhaps we could do this if we shot a missile barrage at it or something! Also, I would love an Arcane Orb that exploded when it hit a target. Those are all super cool things that would be awesome!
10/08/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Metrica
nether tempest is fail for all raiding/pve, frost bomb is required for high dps.

This is just so wrong...
10/08/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Magic

This is just so wrong...
10/08/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Rilely
I tend to be more of a "RP" type player and I like really invest in my characters in terms of flavor. I don't know what is wrong with me or why I do this. What this means is that if I spec Arcane, I'll tend to pick as many Arcane talents as I can just to support that type of flavor. I also tend to dye my hair different colors based on my spec (Black for Arcane, White for Frost, and Red for Fire). I know, I'm a joke.

Nothing is wrong with you. This is an RPG; you're doing it right, as far as I'm concerned. I have three Mages, one for each spec, and I do much the same.

That's the basic idea though, no: choose living bomb if you expect to deal with smaller mobs, and nether tempest for huge mobs. So most of the time, you'd prefer living bomb. In some cases, nether tempest would be more efficient.

All things considered, you spend a lot more time running into relatively small groups when DPS matters. Larger mobs are usually weaklings. There are exceptions, but that's why most guides I've read say living bomb is generally the better choice.
If you're making your decisions based purely on numbers, it's approximately like this:

- 1 target: doesn't matter
- 2-5 clustered targets: Living Bomb
- 6+ clustered targets: Frost Bomb
- Non-clustered targets: Nether Tempest

But the differences aren't so huge that anyone but a serious min/maxer would care much.
i user NT for single target and all questing, i switch to LB only if it's a boss and it has cleaves, i never use frost bomb as i dont like casting my bomb, im very mobile. i also always have scorch, for both pvp and pve.

i play fire and only fire.

oh and for single target after tons of testing i get NT -> LB -> FB and here is a simple explanation. first haste only makes LB and FB blow up faster, but for NT haste gives it more ticks and simple math will tell you NT is better due to how it ticks.

crit will make NT even better due to the smaller numbers adding up, if you can get ur crit to say 65% then frost bomb will win since it only ticks once but LB should never win all things equal.

don't believe me? just go to a dummy, cast NT 100 times, then LB 100 times then FB 100 times and see which does the most dmg, NT will win by a considerable margin.

but the reason i use NT for questing/dailies is because it tags mobs super fast unlike the other 2, great for getting quest credit lol, it's also great if you need to aoe a ton of mobs and have them die at the same time since you can put it on an infinite number of targets then watch them implode.
Crit affects all three bombs equally.

Haste affects FB and NT equally, but is only about half as effective for LB.
I think Nether tempest is awsome for farming and for random bgs. I BG alot i would have to say Nether tempest is great. Usually mobs of allies, or when they running the Flag in WSG, it really breaks up the pack when their organized too good. Being Arcane all my time as a WOW player it fits prefectly, usually DOT every thing i see like PVPERS/PETS more the merrier. When i get do noticied i go BLINK w/glyph not the extra 5 yards or ICE BLOCK till all the DOTS expire, or simply go IMPROVED INVISIBILITY. Its fun when u have to think!!!! AND MAKE UP things that WORK. It works Wonders on Stealth TOONS, just have to stay close to the ones u DOT!! If u think 10yards of Nether Tempest plus Spamming ARCANE EXPLOSION big area u cover.
I'm sure the min-maxers can work out which is best for for which situation, but the difference is probably pretty small.

But I've tried out Nether Tempest. It seems fine - but is Nether Tempest the spell which causes the extremely annoying stuck casting sound glitch? Or is it my water elemental? Its driving me nuts, and I can't believe Blizzard hasn't fixed it yet.
I tend to consistently see higher numbers with frost bomb, just because it handles large AOE groups well (which you come across frequently) and it's easy to control its burst damage with fire blast glyph. It's trivial to detonate your frost bomb early just to get a spike in DPS so that you look like you are high. The two other bombs are similar in DPS, just rely on time.
11/06/2012 07:59 PMPosted by Tearlag
But I've tried out Nether Tempest. It seems fine - but is Nether Tempest the spell which causes the extremely annoying stuck casting sound glitch? Or is it my water elemental? Its driving me nuts, and I can't believe Blizzard hasn't fixed it yet.

I don't have Nether Tempest or a WaterElemental and still get the casting sound glitch. I think it is Ice Floes....which also frequently causes me to disconnect. I'm so tired of submitting bug reports. With the bugginess and the state of Arcane, I should just shelf my Mage except for his Halfhill farm and just switch to my pally.