Tried EVERYTHING, still graphics stutter....?

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
I'm hoping whoever ends up reading this if they come back sees the video I posted as well as the steps i've tried to remedy it and where I notice it working again.

I think visual evidence is the best so hopefully the video I posted helped.
And if Blizzard still wants further proof that 5.0.4 is a disastrously broken Update(even if it IS working for "most people").....

....then I'd like them to explain to me how it is that I'm currently running Battlefield 3, T.E.S. V Skyrim, Empire Total War, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and Guild Wars 2, ALL on HIGH or ULTRA settings, and ALL of those games are running smoothly, with no glitches, and all at high frame rates, and with NO TEMPERATURE or PERFORMANCE issues of ANY KIND.

I'd like them to explain to me how it is that WoW is the ONLY game I'm currently having these graphics issues with, while all my other games are running perfectly.

I'd like them to come up with a justification as to how they could still, after 30 days of this, still have the nerve to target my rig as the source of the problem?

I'm still waiting for an answer from them on that, haven't gotten it yet. Probably won't, so I'll move on to more important things.
I'm hoping whoever ends up reading this if they come back sees the video I posted as well as the steps i've tried to remedy it and where I notice it working again.

I think visual evidence is the best so hopefully the video I posted helped.

Yes indeed Thoraxes, you are 100% right. Seeing it visually is by far the best way of getting people to understand it!

Since I originally started this thread, I will continue to bump it so that people can see your video links, as well as any new information that we post here.
Bump....
Still here! Bump :P
Bump for anyone who still might need the information...... Bumpety Bump :P
I am having the same issue as everyone else it seems. Nuked all the folders that are usually done. Did not install any addons and I still do the stutter step choppy choppy thing.

After the last patch I started to totally lock up and had to do a hard reboot. All other games I play run just fine.

I myself am doing a total fresh install of windows to hopefully solve my issues. It is needed anyways has been well over a year and all this crap on it needs to go :)
Hi,

I am having similar issues with a Trifire (3 way crossfire) 5870's system. Under directx 11 and directx 9, however since the 12.9 beta and cap release the issues under direct x 9 seem to have settled so wow is playable there.

HOWEVER and this is a big however prior to the big patch I could play under directx 11 with settings all full no stutter no issues.

So I have done some experimenting and some interesting things are going on :-

Under Directx 11: I am standing in Jade forest in a village and noted when individually enabling items the following things occurred:

1. Water affects on fair - fine however anything above that screen stutter and 15 fps stripped. While standing.
Now here's the odd thing THERE WAS NO WATER around me! and while I understand setting water to the highest may still have an effect when there is none it should not when set to "good".

2. Sunshafts. This was working prior to the update and now again under Directx 11 as soon as its enabled even on the lowest setting - 15-20fps is lost.

3. SSAO - if enabled in the slightest a 15-20fps reduction.

So when this 15-20fps occurs the screen is jerky and unplayable, and that is in part because the frame rate is hitting 40's where microstutter begins to occur on crossfire setups - However this is a trifire setup where microstutter is not as much of an issue as traditional dual crossfire.

Now I realise these cards are a little old now however no other games including latest titles like guild wars 2 bring these cards to their knees like Warcraft is currently doing. This Trifire setup is still able to hold its own and the addition of the post processing effects shouldn't do whats happening. As far as I am concerned these graphics cards should still be able to last me into next year before considering an upgrade.

- So lets look at this prior to the patch under directx 11
- I could set water to good/high no problems - now I cant on good even
- Sunshafts worked on their highest settings no problems
- Well with SSAO - I don't have issues on other titles in fact the enabling of this post effect doesn't cause much extra GPU load that I have noted in other games.
- Everything set to high/ultra in DirectX 9 and no problems at all.

After some more tinkering: The above occurs when multisampling is anything above one when multisampling is 1 the above settings can be enabled. this was not an issue prior to the patch. I also note that with the above and multisampling set to 2 gpu load on all 3 increases by 30-40% - from 30% load up to 70% - NO WAY there's nothing wrong huh that is a massive increase on load - Definitely some poor coding from Blizzard or Amd. no way this should occur.
This has been a problem for me since around patch 5.0.3 but just today it seems to have stopped.
Spoke too soon, started doing it again.
I am having the same issue as everyone else it seems. Nuked all the folders that are usually done. Did not install any addons and I still do the stutter step choppy choppy thing.

After the last patch I started to totally lock up and had to do a hard reboot. All other games I play run just fine.

I myself am doing a total fresh install of windows to hopefully solve my issues. It is needed anyways has been well over a year and all this crap on it needs to go :)
Let us know how that goes, please.
Let's keep at it, with big mass complaint threads http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758256321 or start dropping subs...This issue has been here since patch and its affecting so many players and not one single blue response on this issue in over a month since it began. Wow! just Wow!! pun intended.
I've experienced this jerky effect in the graphics, to a small extent, since I downloaded the beta . . . on both the beta and (to a lesser extent) in the main game. Also, my characters hesitate slightly every few steps when running or flying. Previous to that, the game ran very smoothly at recommended settings.

Since the big patch (which was weeks of trouble to get downloaded and to actually get into the game again) the jerkiness has been much worse. This seems to be the same thing that most of you are describing as "stutter."

I'm not very good at this sort of technical fiddling, but I'm learning. I'll see how much of the suggestions in this thread I can decipher in the next few days, and figure out if there's anything I can do to improve performance. My system is not top end by any means (ATI Radeon HD 3400 series), but it was perfectly adequate before beta, and definitely before the patch. I was thinking I needed a new graphics card, but now I'm assuming that the source of the problem is in the coding for MoP.

Ultimately, with the headache-inducing jerkiness in the graphics, the game gives me little pleasure at the moment. I can't see any point in buying the x-pac, or even continuing my subscription, unless I can have a smooth game again. This isn't a threat in any way; I'd be very sorry not to be able to continue playing.

Thanks for keeping the thread going, and for the suggestions, Fori and others.
I've experienced this jerky effect in the graphics, to a small extent, since I downloaded the beta . . . on both the beta and (to a lesser extent) in the main game. Also, my characters hesitate slightly every few steps when running or flying. Previous to that, the game ran very smoothly at recommended settings.

Since the big patch (which was weeks of trouble to get downloaded and to actually get into the game again) the jerkiness has been much worse. This seems to be the same thing that most of you are describing as "stutter."

I'm not very good at this sort of technical fiddling, but I'm learning. I'll see how much of the suggestions in this thread I can decipher in the next few days, and figure out if there's anything I can do to improve performance. My system is not top end by any means (ATI Radeon HD 3400 series), but it was perfectly adequate before beta, and definitely before the patch. I was thinking I needed a new graphics card, but now I'm assuming that the source of the problem is in the coding for MoP.

Ultimately, with the headache-inducing jerkiness in the graphics, the game gives me little pleasure at the moment. I can't see any point in buying the x-pac, or even continuing my subscription, unless I can have a smooth game again. This isn't a threat in any way; I'd be very sorry not to be able to continue playing.

Trilliam,

Thank you for contributing to the thread! Much appreciated.

The stutter you described in your own game is almost EXACTLY what I have been experiencing, your description of your stuttering problem is probably the closest description to my problem I've seen so far.

Just to give you a head start, here are the key elements to what has been happening, and what has SEEMED to help for some people(Of course, there are SO many problems that the 5.0.4 MOP Update has caused, that I can only give my perspective of my problems.)

-Seems that turning ON VERTICAL SYNC and turning ON TRIPLE BUFFERING has contributed to helping a lot of people reduce some, but not all versions of the stutter and jerk. This is due to the fact that many, if not all LCD monitors now have a refresh rate of about 60 Hertz, and with Vertical Sync Enabled, it caps your game's Frames Per Second at about 60, which syncs it with your monitor's refresh rate. If you allow your video card to just spike your frame rate, which most cards that are newer than 2 years old or so will do, you will actually get worse performance. The ideal place for WoW to be is to be at or as close to 60 FPS at all times, or most of the time. Any frame rates over 60 is overkill, and not even perceptible to the human eye any way. And having overkill FPS can contribute to onscreen stutters and jerks.

-Keeping Multisampling LOW, at about 1x, and keeping Texture Filtering LOW, at about 4x, has helped to solve some of the graphics anomalies in the game, one of the more common ones being white, pixel-like dots on background terrain like mountains.

- Reverting back to DX 9 has solved some graphics issues, especially for people with video cards that do not support DX 11. Most newer cards out now DO support DX 11, but many from a few years back or so might NOT. And I'm reading that WoW isn't jiving well with DX 11 any way.

- Running the game in 32 Bit Mode has SEEMED to solve some graphics issues. Apparently there are many issues with running the game in 64 Bit Mode that Blizzard has not figured out yet.

- Changing your Windows Desktop theme from "Aeros" to "Basic" has MAYBE solved certain graphics issues.

- If you have AMD video cards, and are running multiple cards in Crossfire or Triplefire, pulling out the extra cards and only running one video card in your rig with WoW has been known to solve some stuttering issues.

- Standing in a pool full of sharks while singing Jingle Bells has been known to solve some graphics issues(sorry, had to throw in a joke, because if I don't keep a sense of humor about this, my gaming rig is going out my second story window onto the pavement below.) :P

Try all of the above in different combinations and then play-test in different zones.

You are FAR more likely to see some results from trying these things than from what the Blues are saying 40 times over......(check your temps, clean your fans, delete your cache, etc. etc. etc.)
Trilliam,

One very important side note to this issue of stuttering, apart from the recent MOP disaster, is the general issue of 60 FPS.

60 FPS is a key element in this, and it was already a key element way before this whole mess of the MOP Update came about.

A lot of certain players, some of the Uber-Rig builders, are going to jump all over this and say I'm full of s**t, but I pay no heed, because I KNOW I'm right about it.

As you know, video cards coming out now are complete overkill for games like WoW. In fact video cards from 2010 onwards have video power that is overkill for WoW. Cards now can run WoW at FPS in the 100's and 200's, even into the 300 FPS range. Even video cards like mine, the HD 5870, which is three years old, can run WoW at Frame Rates much higher than 60 FPS, up into the 115-120 range.

NOW, it is well known that WoW is more of a CPU based game than it is a GPU(video card)based game. The power of your CPU will determine to a great degree how well your computer can handle multiple things happening in the game at the same time, a high degree of activity and detail.

BUT....even though CPU is a huge factor, the video card causes some unique problems.

Here is where a lot players are going to jump all over me -

And the problem is this - WoW was NOT, I repeat, NOT designed to be run at frame rates higher than 60 FPS. PERIOD. 60 FPS is the OPTIMUM frame rate for the game's animation and onscreen activity. ANYTHING OVER 60 FPS is OVERKILL and is not even perceptible to the human eye.

WoW runs at its most efficient and looks its best when your CPU and your video card can keep the game at 60 FPS or close to it, even under conditions of high activity, like crowded cities, raids, instances or battlegrounds.

If you have newer hardware components that allow for overkill of Framerate and overkill of processing, then with regard to the video card, you must use Vertical Sync in order to cap your FPS at 60. This will cause WoW to process on screen frames in harmony with your monitor's Refresh Rate(in many cases 60 Hertz.)

Now, if you are running a rig with triple Nvidia or AMD cards, and can proudly report an FPS of 300-500.....well....that's wonderful but - it accomplishes nothing. When WoW runs at 500 FPS, the animation looks EXACTLY the same as WoW running at 60 FPS. Exactly!

The major thing that truly changes the appearance of WoW is the RESOLUTION OF YOUR MONITOR. Anyone can tell you how dramatic the difference is when going from an older monitor running at 1,024 x 768 to a newer LCD monitor at 1,920 x 1,080. THAT is where the true visual difference in WoW is found, and THAT is where the importance of your monitor and video card matters.

A lot of integrated video, and older, weaker video cards, simply can't handle resolutions beyond a certain level, and so you if you want to enjoy WoW at a the highest resolution possible, you have to have a video card and a monitor that can handle it.

Now, having said that... you CAN, if you have an LCD Monitor that's capable of it, set WoW to the highest resolution possible even if you have a weaker video card, BUT you'll soon discover that the game won't run beyond 25-30 FPS. You'll have the resolution in front of you onscreen, but you won't be able to process and play the game beyond a very low frame-rate.

I had a really high-end monitor once, but with a really weak video card, and at 1,920 x 1,080 resolution, the game's FPS was capped at 30, it would NOT go higher, and so the game was unplayable for the most part.

I experienced this first-hand when I went from an older monitor running WoW at a lower resolution, to a 23" LCD Monitor, and a rig with a dedicated video card, I played the game for the first time at 1,920 x 1,080. The game looked like a whole new game, I mean it's like night and day when you go to a higher resolution.

But as far as FPS, it's 60 that the game needs, and maintaining close to 60 as possible in-game is the key.

Anything higher is simply for bragging rights and accomplishes nothing, and in fact can cause your cards to work harder and hotter than is necessary, burning them out prematurely.

Overkill frame rates can also cause timing issues between your monitor's Refresh Rate and in-game animation, which can result in stuttering and jerking of character movement and of the in-game environment.

Set your screen to windowed mode and watch the upper left top. See if "Not Responding" flashes very quickly up there when you experience those "stutters".

That is what I am experiencing, and it interrupts character movements.

It seems to me, and I am a real novice at this, that there is some loss of connectivity between my system and the Blizzard side game. I do not know exactly when it started, but it was about Thursday. I had completed leveling this priest to 90 the night before I believe. So I would have hit the last couple of zones on Wednesday I believe.

It seems like there was a patch in there somewhere also. I am just guessing these dates somehow connect.

But I am at a loss, and with no communication from Blizzard about where they are with this and related issues, it seems there is nothing to do but wait and hope they are doing something.

Edit to add after more reading that on occasion I will get that stutter/not responding and then the camera angle radically changes also. That is not the usual case, which has just been the stutter/not respoinding/hesitancy, but on occasion this is exactly what happens the same as others have mentioned.
I have literally tried everything, and I mean everything as well, and I have noticed my fps capping to around 30, and that's with vsync on or off, it seems to try and get itself capped to around 30, does not matter dx9 or dx11, 32bit or 64. I mean I swear I have been searching for this past month and have found no clear cut fix and it really is a shame how blizzard is treating this issue.
i still get the same thing as u its annoying as hell
09/30/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Buztoff
Spoke too soon, started doing it again.

Same thing happened to me. I had temporarily fixed the stutter a couple days ago, or at least made it about 95% better.

Now, it's back again.

And my settings are still where they are from a couple days ago. Didn't touch anything. Didn't change anything. OH, wait....I did move a potted plant on my window sill, now it's further away from my computer LOL.

I think I'm going to try to buy a whole new rig, and see if that fixes it. LOL.

Actually, all joking aside.....I'm REALLY seeing players posting that they have rigs that they JUST built LITERALLY not more than a WEEK AGO or even a FEW DAYS AGO. BRAND NEW RIGS. With the LATEST HARDWARE COMPONENTS.

And they are having the SAME graphics problems we are. The SAME GRAPHICS PROBLEMS.

I would LOVE to hear from some of the snot-nosed elitists on these boards about how they explain THAT one to me!
10/01/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Gatorbait
i still get the same thing as u its annoying as hell

Gatorbait,

I'm with you......I am so with you!

Honestly, I have combat fatigue. I have been on these forums for the past THIRTY DAYS.....haven't been able to enjoy playing Pandaria for one single moment, all I've been doing is staring at thread after thread on these stupid boards when I should be enjoying the game.

You know what the kicker is? I love this game so much, that I STILL took a leap of faith, and actually went and bought my copy of MOP, and even the Strategy Guide, AND I kept paying my subscription, even WITH the graphics problems I'm having. That's because I love the game.

And now I'm trying to contribute what I can and help players to network and compare ideas and notes and thoughts.

But I have combat fatigue. I have a thousand yard stare. I'm just worn out with this nonsense. I've typed thousands of words, trying to point this out to Blizzard, over and over and over.

And now there's the added fatigue of fending off arrogant players who have to troll around the threads and tell us it's our fault, that we don't understand how PC hardware works, that we must have hit the wrong button, and that we need to buy a $4,000 rig to run WoW properly.