MBP Retina CPU & GPU Issues

Mac Technical Support
Hey guys and gals,

I have been stalking this sub-forum since prior to 5.0.4 watching for fixes to the MBP retina. With the 5.0.5 patch fixing the Mac CPU issues I was hoping my issues would be resolved, but alas, things still seem out of whack. Let's have a talk..

Below is what I feel still plagues my MBPr and hasn't been addressed in the "Known MBPr Issues" Sticky:

Framerate: @2880x1800 I am getting the follow FPS in windowed mode in Elwynn Forest all alone with SSAO disabled: Ultra Settings: 14-18fps Low Settings: 29-35fps. At other resolutions there are marginal gains in fps (4-6fps gain at lowest resolution setting).

CPU Usage: With WoW open my CPU reads: 160-195 from the %CPU column in the System memory tab of the Activity Monitor depending on what zone I am in. This honestly feels about right for running WoW; however just trying to perform simple multi-tasking, like browsing the internet with WoW open when on high or ultra settings, creates for some very poor and sluggish results (freezing up to 5-20 seconds at a time when scrolling or loading large pages or having several tabs open).

What I have tried so far to fix my problems:

• Disabled automatic graphics switching
  • Set max fps to 30 (/Console maxfps 30)
  • Rebuilt game caches
  • No add-ons enabled or installed
  • Fresh restart to avoid "Sleep" bug

One of my main reasons why I am posting right now & why I am the most confused is because my previous generation MBP (MacBookPro8,2 - Late 2011) which is inferior in every hardware component is running WoW like a champion. It averages 40+ fps everywhere on ultra w/ SSAO disabled. I have never run benchmarks against the two, but surely the new MBP should be winning out in every category? Is the screen tearing bug with the MBPr the possible culprit for these terrible framerate issues?

Thanks for reading and the help in advance!

Below is my support information:

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E2620)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 10 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

09/14/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Heywoods
Below is what I feel still plagues my MBPr and hasn't been addressed in the "Known MBPr Issues" Sticky:

Could still be connected to :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489880421

2012 MBP w/650M GT There are graphical anomalies, such as flashing colors/textures when certain windows are open.
This is a known issue, which has been escalated to Apple/NVIDIA to help address. We'll update this post when more information becomes available.[/li][li][b]

Do you know which graphics card it's using when you're getting the bad FPS ?

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/faq

Can be used to force it on either the intergrated card or the discrete card.

Have you tried an SMC reset ?
being a retina for one, you do not want to stay on 10.7. 10.8 is really going to be essencial for getting the most out of newer hardware, as you're going to get much better drivers. 10.8.2 is also expected to deliver further refinements to that. i do believe the tearing issues are fixed in 10.7.5 though but the actual max performance you should expect out of 10.8 going forward on a 2012 machine.
09/15/2012 12:17 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
Have you tried an SMC reset ?

Thanks for the suggestions. I performed the SMC reset and used that app you suggested to make sure I was on my Nvidia card. Sadly no noticeable improvements.

I am currently updating to 10.8. Really hope this will help! I will report back after the update.
Framerate: @2880x1800 I am getting the follow FPS in windowed mode in Elwynn Forest all alone with SSAO disabled: Ultra Settings: 14-18fps Low Settings: 29-35fps. At other resolutions there are marginal gains in fps (4-6fps gain at lowest resolution setting).

What happens when you play in fullscreen mode? I know when playing in Windowed mode in the rMBP, it has a lot more to render, and so there may be performance drops, specially if you have higher settings in it.
09/17/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Machkhan
What happens when you play in fullscreen mode? I know when playing in Windowed mode in the rMBP, it has a lot more to render, and so there may be performance drops, specially if you have higher settings in it.

In fullscreen mode @2880x1800 w/ SSAO disabled in Elwynn Forest:

Ultra settings: ~20-22 fps
Low settings: 45 fps (console capped at 45)

Slight improvements! 10.8 is just about finished downloading. Will update once that is installed.

Thanks for the help!
I've tried running on every resolution and permutation of setting variances. I'm currently unable to raid period. Every time I log in, as soon as any one does anything AOE, my framerate drops to below 1 fps and Wow stops responding. I've tried both 32 and 64-bit programs with the 32 performing better in Stormwind. With ultra, I'm getting less than 10 fps and with low I average about 45 in Stormwind until something else needs to render.

I'm rather frustrated with this considering there should be absolutely no reason for a computer this powerful to be seeing all these issues with a rather low end game. Seeing fractals, poor performance... I shouldn't have to install windows in order to play a game.
Just updated to 10.8 and no signs of improvements :(

I guess I will just have to wait until Nividia and Apple patch the screen tearing issue and hope that is the culprit.

Until then I guess I will keep playing on my older Macbook.. So weird that my older Mac outshines my retina by 3x performance. Strange strange world.
honestly just turn resolution down, that's the main cause. play at same resolution you play on old macbook and it'll scream

although even on 10.8 the drivers are as inferior as 10.7 drivers. reasoni suggested upgrading, was cause 10.8 is the OS apple is going to fix performance on. 10.7 is near it's end of life and won't see the kind of driver optimisations 10.8 will on new hardware. 10.8.2 will be first step, although that's mainly bug fixes like the tearing. now if nvdiia will get off their duff and take those already released 10.8.1 drivers they have and remove the mac pro restriction on em, some retina users would see some real performance improvements.
09/17/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Omegal
honestly just turn resolution down, that's the main cause. play at same resolution you play on old macbook and it'll scream

I wouldn't say it screams. It's still not performing as fast as my previous macbook, but I think that can be chalked up to the issue we are seeing with the screen tearing. Downloading the 10.8.2 patch right now to see how that goes.
09/19/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Heywoods
I wouldn't say it screams. It's still not performing as fast as my previous macbook, but I think that can be chalked up to the issue we are seeing with the screen tearing. Downloading the 10.8.2 patch right now to see how that goes.

Just make sure you updated using the combo updater. Never ever ever ever ever eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever use Software Update for anything except security updates and individual app updates. The combo updater is listed in the 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 Released thread stickied here in the MTS forum.

i still don't expect these machines are getting nearly the performance they should, since the 600 series drivers in 10.8.2 are still so inferior to the 304 drivers nvidia has on their website that only work with 10.8.1. I do hope those make it into OS X soon to really see these machines kick it up a notch.
i just hit problems with the game today was running fine then i noticed the graphics being very laggy and decided to check out forums my fps is at 9fps which is very low and has made the game experience unbearable i have a mac book pro retina 2.37 ghz i dont know how to fix it it was running fine up until now. i an marked the graphics battery saver
MacBookPro Retina 15" 16GB 750GB SSD. MacOS X 10.8.2. Graphics switching turned off in Energy Saver CP.

Often (but not always) if I switch from WoW (which is running full-screen on an external 27" Thunderbolt Display) I experience a limited graphics freeze for 5-25 seconds. "Limited" as the mouse still moves. Just moving the mouse to try to expose the hidden dock on my laptop screen is sufficient to trigger the issue.

Often, if I receive an email or some other background event that causes some threshold of activity to be passed, the "freeze" will trigger. As a raid healer, this can be (shall we say) "unfortunate" and an impediment to my being brought on raids. In other words, the game is basically unplayable as a raid healer under these conditions.

If I bring up a terminal and set up pings, the pings appear to continue in the background just fine. Once the freeze event has cleared, I can see the pings have all taken place within acceptable (normal) limits so comms is not affected.

This appears to be a graphics issue. The processor is hardly stressed and paging is also not the issue (I don't see any page outs during the freeze). Are there any tools that will let me monitor what the GPU is doing?
MacBookPro Retina 15" 16GB 750GB SSD. MacOS X 10.8.2. Graphics switching turned off in Energy Saver CP.

Often (but not always) if I switch from WoW (which is running full-screen on an external 27" Thunderbolt Display) I experience a limited graphics freeze for 5-25 seconds. "Limited" as the mouse still moves. Just moving the mouse to try to expose the hidden dock on my laptop screen is sufficient to trigger the issue.

Often, if I receive an email or some other background event that causes some threshold of activity to be passed, the "freeze" will trigger. As a raid healer, this can be (shall we say) "unfortunate" and an impediment to my being brought on raids. In other words, the game is basically unplayable as a raid healer under these conditions.

If I bring up a terminal and set up pings, the pings appear to continue in the background just fine. Once the freeze event has cleared, I can see the pings have all taken place within acceptable (normal) limits so comms is not affected.

This appears to be a graphics issue. The processor is hardly stressed and paging is also not the issue (I don't see any page outs during the freeze). Are there any tools that will let me monitor what the GPU is doing?

BUMP... I've seen nothing that addresses this. Problem still there. SMC reset made no difference. Help requested.
Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I can't figure it out and the texture tearing and flickering is so annoying