Can someone please explain Theramore?

General Discussion
Again, Thank you all for the constructive posts and Alona for the information regarding what happened. Hopefully Blizzard will take all this and realize we all pay $15 a month, Maybe they should put the books in game so when I'm not raiding I can catch up on the lore. Mmmm. Maybe a Horde library?!?!
Then again... Most Orcs can't read. Horde Audio-Library!!
09/17/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Honrar
With the destruction of his navy and a large chunk of the horde soldiers killed during the ground assault on Theramore, Garrosh lets the horde know that even children are now being conscripted into the war. And that's where the book ends.

OKAY. NO.

Why did we need a ground assault in the first place if we were just gonna drop a NUKE on it. Is that ever explained?

Garrosh sent Tauren and trolls in the front line. He wanted to thin the herd, so to speak. He already burned through a decent chunk of Forsaken before Sylvannas got back from her trip to Northrend.

Plus, it soften the humans up so the bomb was totally unexpected.
09/17/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Wasselin
Why was absolutely none of that in the game?
Thank you for explaining all of this. I had no clue what was going on.
09/17/2012 08:54 PMPosted by Mahurm
Again, Thank you all for the constructive posts and Alona for the information regarding what happened. Hopefully Blizzard will take all this and realize we all pay $15 a month, Maybe they should put the books in game so when I'm not raiding I can catch up on the lore. Mmmm. Maybe a Horde library?!?!

That's the worst part imo.

Back in Vanilla we had these little books scattered around the world that you could right click and read. Some of them even gave synopses to the early real life Warcraft books that were published. A lot of them still exist, but new ones were never added.

For some reason Blizzard has never brought these back.
EPIC FAIL BLIZZARD!!

This 'Theramore' event was the biggest and crappiest pre-expansion/whatever event ever.

I have done it on my warr and I won't run my shammy healer through it.

When you have 99.99% of the Theramore event take place in some book then what the hell are you a MMO company for?

To the person who thought this was an awesome thing to do....Please quit the MMO industry as you are just bad.
It was like nothing in the scenario even related to the book, at all.

At least on the Alliance side. I haven't done Horde, as I gave up on Horde a long time ago.

If it weren't for the fact that I had read the novel (yay for Kindle, or I wouldn't have been able to), I would have had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on, or why. Or what the hell the Focusing Iris is. Or that Rhonin and Marcus Jonathan die there.

I'd also be wondering where Pained was, since she's not the type to be easily killed.

Just more crappy Blizzard writing and planning. What's new? Allies have been dealing with this since the start of Cataclysm.
Thank you for telling us what happended!
With more information, they would've made players curious in a GOOD way, making us want to read Tides of War not because players felt jilted and forced to buy a book they otherwise wouldn't, but because it sparked their curiosity.

As it is, this is just going to cause more hard feelings misdirected at Christie, and lost revenue as players boycott "on principle". :(

I agree with this 100%, and this is pretty much me. I'll never buy a book that serves as the only source for relevant exposition. Sometimes a movie will make me want to buy a book, or reading a book will make me want to see a movie, but I'm not going to want to cross-media if they're nearly completely disparate experiences. To Blizzard's credit, it seems like they want to shift a bit more toward integrating the experiences, but there's still a long way to go.
thanks for the cliff notes!! those were great and really helped me understand what the hell just happened.
First, Alona, thank you for your post. I appreciate it, as I've not read Golden's book either.

Second, as others of pointed out: WHY WAS NONE OF THIS IN THE GAME?

*ahem*
Sorry. If it isn't in the game, it didn't happen.
Where's Sylvanas in all this? Does she play any part in the assault, or is she sitting in Undercity the whole time? Is she actually following Garrosh's orders?
I think Blizzard is going to be wading through !@#$ without the high boots needed for it, when Garrosh is an endgame boss and we all kill him but like 10% of less of the playerbase even knows why.
Well, im glad they (HOPEFULLY FINNALY) killed off rhonin and his mary sue FIERY RED HAIR.