Theramore Scenario/Jaina book, which is right

Story Forum
So, the Alliance side scenario directly conflicts with info from the book. I don't want to get into spoilers too deeply, so I will simply say that Jaina was all alone when she went took out those straggling Hordies and retrieved the Focusing Iris.

So, which one are we supposed to take as the correct account of the events?
Honestly, the book most likely. But both are canon.
The book. Any time us players are involved, it's usually indirectly, and we just offer "aid" to the hero for vanquishing the villian.

We're really not important to the the story progression other than giving Blizz money.
If I understand the Horde and Alliance versions correctly, only the Horde version is actually mentioned in the book. Jaina was alone in the book for the Alliance scenario, and the vague references to her unnamed friends in the book lead me to believe the Alliance version may actually have originally been a different part of the battle, ending with evacuating through Rhonin's portal.
09/17/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
If I understand the Horde and Alliance versions correctly, only the Horde version is actually mentioned in the book. Jaina was alone in the book for the Alliance scenario, and the vague references to her unnamed friends in the book lead me to believe the Alliance version may actually have originally been a different part of the battle, ending with evacuating through Rhonin's portal.

You know, I thought that too.

Then we got the crappy Alliance version of returning after the bomb was dropped.
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects also contradicts parts of the Dragonwrath quest chain; I don't know if there is any official word on which takes precedence, but I assume that novels trump quests and scenarios.
That was exactly what I thought it was going to be about myself from reading the book.

Here I was hoping to help Kinndy magically defend the gates,....but alas, she is already dust,
It so annoying that they didnt even manage to get this particular part right. It really breaks the RP nature of the event. My toon might as well not have been doing the Theramore event...
I kind of find it pitiful with the inaccuracy. Christie mentioned in multiple interviews of how close she worked with the team to make like the book, the way it is now I find that hard to believe.
09/17/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Vicara
I kind of find it pitiful with the inaccuracy. Christie mentioned in multiple interviews of how close she worked with the team to make like the book, the way it is now I find that hard to believe.

I completely agree with you. After those in my guild ran the scenario today, I told them the back story of what led up to it. I expected to see so much more of what Christie wrote to be incorporated into this and sadly it was not. You don't even see the victims.
The most intriguing aspect of parsing out the Alliance players role from Tides of War vs. what we get* is that Rhonin specifically listens to the "pleas of the five Jaina had sent," which suggests that this scenario, at least, was intended for the standard five-man model. I know that Golden said she had worked closer with the quest team than ever before, and at least the Horde scenario matches up fairly well (I don't recall it being mentioned that the strike team planted explosives on the boats), but I'd wager that at some point too late in the writing process, the scenario was changed, which is disappointing.

*As horde, I can only take other's word for what actually happens in the scenario.
I think the five people was a goof from Christie.

However, I think it's clear from ToW that we were indeed supposed to be playing before the bomb dropped, talking to Rhonin and going through the portal. The official MoP site even says things like "search for survivors."

For some reason Blizzard changed the Alliance's scenario (or maybe both) at some point.
I was only slightly disappointed, which surprised me. I thought my expectations were rock bottom. There is apparently still room to dig.
Golden just shouldn't have implied the players were present.
Blizzard shouldn't have put in such a piss poor excuse for a world event.
09/17/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Skytotem
Golden just shouldn't have implied the players were present.

But was that her fault or Blizz? Given her interviews it seemed that she had the impression that the players went through what she wrote in the book.

I was underwhelmed by what we got. I'd probably let it slide a bit if it had the visual impact that it should of had. Remember the first time you saw Darkshore after the shattering hit? I remembering feeling sad, seeing so many NPC's I met while leveling suddenly dead. That's what this should've been more like. We should've seen Tervosh, Pained, Marcus Jonathan, ect. Or a better cinematic could have helped. Show the battle with the Horde retreating, Jaina and the Alliance thinking they won, then cut to the goblin ship with the mana bomb.
If there'd been an actual world event tied into the scearnio, it could have worked...
So wait, is this another one of those things where you need to play the Horde side of things to actually understand events? Because not a whole lot happened Alliance side...
Nah, apparently Horde side is equally underwhelming.

Though at least consistent with canon.