MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

Shaman
Prev 1 5 6 7 29 Next
09/24/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Aghator
What about multidotting flame shock? Since lava flows makes lava bust instant cast now should elemental try to keep flame shock on 2, 3 targets?

It's always a good idea regardless as it tends to provide us with more damage than any ability for the gcd anyways.

Note that Lava Surge making Lava Burst instant is actually a no dps increase on a standstill fight as Lava Burst's cast time is the length of the GCD that an instant cast takes up anyways. The real increase for Lava Surge this patch on a standstill fight is that they fixed it so that lava surge procs gained during a Lava Burst cast are no longer lost.

It is a nice boost to in-motion dps though.
cool ty
Echoes wins out over all three theoretically, but EM will have it's place. It has a 6% proc chance for us, and IIRC Blizzard basically said it had no ICD except a small enough one to make sure back to back procs aren't happening, but not big enough to notice it.

Technical note: It's got a small internal cooldown to prevent echo procs causing echo procs. It's still possible to get a cast/echo/overload/echo overload chain.
Re: LvB % of total damage.

I think you're assuming that dummy damage proportions = raid damage proportions. While some buffs will affect all spells the same, you're missing 5% crit which will boost everything except Lava Burst.

I also don't think you've stated the talents used, and to be quite frank a 5 minute dummy run is hardly going to be enough data to conclude that the SimCraft breakdowns are wrong because there's so much chance for variation.
09/24/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Platform
Why isn't this a sticky yet?
Re: LvB % of total damage.

I think you're assuming that dummy damage proportions = raid damage proportions. While some buffs will affect all spells the same, you're missing 5% crit which will boost everything except Lava Burst.

I also don't think you've stated the talents used, and to be quite frank a 5 minute dummy run is hardly going to be enough data to conclude that the SimCraft breakdowns are wrong because there's so much chance for variation.

I do appreciate all of the work that you do.

My talent set up was in the parenthetical note in the very first line of the first full paragraph. I was using Echo and Elemental Blast. I also including feedback based on both dummy practice and a real raid encounter from the Beta PTR. I'm well aware that raid dummy damage does not equal raid damage.

It is of little consequence at this point. There will be a whole new cache of real numbers to sort through within two weeks.
Hi, just a quick question!

So for Heroic Dungeons would I want to take PE... or would Elemental Blast still be better?? The same with Echo and Elemental Mastery, I don't know if the same rules apply in raids as in dungeons because I would imagine that dungeons have much shorter boss fights.

Thanks! Great guide!
09/24/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Askledarea
It's still possible to get a cast/echo/overload/echo overload chain.

Wouldn't that be crazy.
Hi, just a quick question!

So for Heroic Dungeons would I want to take PE... or would Elemental Blast still be better?? The same with Echo and Elemental Mastery, I don't know if the same rules apply in raids as in dungeons because I would imagine that dungeons have much shorter boss fights.

Thanks! Great guide!

I'm just running PE for now. He does a ton of damage, and running in with stormlash, PE, ascendance, and lust (caps LvB of course, but more flame shock ticks, and rest of the group still benefits) makes for some serious damage.

As for EM vs EoE you could chain it after ascendance/lust ends I suppose, but it's not going to make much of a difference. I just use EoE for now since it's one less button I have to worry about.
sup
FYI

Je'lyu, Spirit of the Serpent

Drops from last boss of Jade temple heroic.
http://i.imgur.com/X8biz.jpg 5 mans are fun right?!
FYI

Je'lyu, Spirit of the Serpent

Drops from last boss of Jade temple heroic.

Correct. I didn't include it in the Heroic gear list because of the low drop chance.
The ring is included though... :<

That's why I brought it up.

There's a crafted off-hand too from inscription.

IMO I would just make a list of like rare drops/crafted as well so people are aware of them. When I saw the crafted shield included, I didn't realize there was a crafted epic item as well. And when I saw the ring I assumed that was our only epic until I saw the mace.

So, it's confusing is what I'm saying.
The ring is included though... :<

That's why I brought it up.

There's a crafted off-hand too from inscription.

IMO I would just make a list of like rare drops/crafted as well so people are aware of them. When I saw the crafted shield included, I didn't realize there was a crafted epic item as well. And when I saw the ring I assumed that was our only epic until I saw the mace.

So, it's confusing is what I'm saying.
There's four gear sets. One from heroics, limited to 463 blue drops. The second is the best of everything you can acquire outside raids. Might need to add more of a description to the sets.
Yeah, I just saw. I think I got the two sections cross referenced.

Several items that are not valor are included in the pre-raid VALOR section though. I guess I feel like it'd be easier to do the heroic dungeon set, and show the heroic epics with the 463 2nd best items with them as well due to those low drop rates.

Maybe do a best heroic dungeon items, craftable list, valor list, and pre-raid set that includes all the crafting, dungeons, and valor gear.
Yeah, I just saw. I think I got the two sections cross referenced.

Several items that are not valor are included in the pre-raid VALOR section though. I guess I feel like it'd be easier to do the heroic dungeon set, and show the heroic epics with the 463 2nd best items with them as well due to those low drop rates.

Maybe do a best heroic dungeon items, craftable list, valor list, and pre-raid set that includes all the crafting, dungeons, and valor gear.

It's really just "Pre-Raid" containing some valor gear. There's no restriction on source there because, well, it'll just get silly having so many varying gear lists. If you really want more I can link into the pre-raid gear list I made recently.
Well, I guess at the least I'd rename it to pre-raid. Not pre-raid valor gear. It's confusing IMO.

Not a big deal, but just pointing it out.
Added a note that the heroic dungeon list doesn't include the 2 dungeon drop epics that're on the Pre-raid gear list and stated which ones they were.

Changed name of Pre-raid - Valor gear list to Pre-raid + Valor gear for clarification purposes.
Figured I'd ask this here.

Considering stat weights, is the Pandaren food racial going to be a better choice [for Elemental] than the Draenai 1% hit racial for this expansion?