MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

Shaman
Prev 1 8 9 10 29 Next
10/05/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Grimsight
Hey Gist and Liax, i was just curious what type of ui's you guys use and also if you are continuing to use Power Auras? I've been away for awhile until this expansion so forgive me if i missed anything. I'm still pretty new to that so i would greatly enjoy any help with setting that up. I also hear weakauras works well too?

I swapped to Weak Auras in 5.0 since Power Auras was unreasonably slow to update and Weak Auras was fairly easy to set up. If you're looking for a good setup I'm pretty sure Endus has one if you do a google search for Endus' Elemental Auras or something similar.
Awesome i'll check it out. Thanks a lot man, for all you guys do for the elemental community.
I have also been meaning to ask you which talents you have been using for 5 man heroics and raids? My guild downed Feng while i was using Elemental Mastery and Elemental Blast but i feel i should probably switch to Echo of the Elements and Elemental Blast? I also see you and Liax experimenting with PE a lot. Was just curious since me and you have about the same amount of haste.
10/06/2012 01:04 AMPosted by Grimsight
have also been meaning to ask you which talents you have been using for 5 man heroics and raids? My guild downed Feng while i was using Elemental Mastery and Elemental Blast but i feel i should probably switch to Echo of the Elements and Elemental Blast? I also see you and Liax experimenting with PE a lot. Was just curious since me and you have about the same amount of haste.

They're all pretty close but Echo of the Elements would probably be better for Feng because there's no necessary need for burst on that fight and Echo does slightly higher DPS.
I have also been meaning to ask you which talents you have been using for 5 man heroics and raids? My guild downed Feng while i was using Elemental Mastery and Elemental Blast but i feel i should probably switch to Echo of the Elements and Elemental Blast? I also see you and Liax experimenting with PE a lot. Was just curious since me and you have about the same amount of haste.

5 mans?

Echo/PE. The burst on PE is better for bosses and boss durations play pretty darn well into the full strength of PE and I'm just lazy with echo and don't want the extra cd when I'll just be dropping it for raids. One could easily run EM as well, as it gives you heroism on the boss fights that you don't have it up for.

Raids?

Echo/EB. I've been experimenting a lot with these to find out what I feel is best on each fight. If I find that a fight plays pretty well into the strength of PE (~3:50-4:20, 6-6:30, and 10-10:30 play into the duration/cd on the Fire elemental, making it slightly stronger for fights that're about that duration) I'll use it though.
10/05/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Grimsight
Hey Gist and Liax, i was just curious what type of ui's you guys use and also if you are continuing to use Power Auras? I've been away for awhile until this expansion so forgive me if i missed anything. I'm still pretty new to that so i would greatly enjoy any help with setting that up. I also hear weakauras works well too?

I use elvui. It's more heavy size-wise than tukui because it's not done by lua coding (basically meaning a lot of changes where done opening up the notepad and changing coniditions), and all done in game, but it's versatility, different options, and general ease is great.

I still use power auras, although I'm using a new version of it. Apparently there is an older version of it reinstated that I have not gotten around to using yet. Right before MoP the author did a total overhaul on the addon and I don't think many people liked it (and I heard it was something to do with WoW coding forced him to make the initial change). Not really sure how well the power aura classic addon works right now because I've been a bit lazy, but I plan to get to remaking auras and such in the new few days or so.

That's all I really use for my UI besides stuff like recount, atlas loot, DBM, and the other things.

PE will always win hands down in dungeons, but that's not saying much. My saying is that calling dungeons heroic is like calling carbonated water pop. The fights are short, easy, and if you can burst really hard (barring stuff like immune effects, or whatever) you can pretty much burst the encounter down extremely fast, especially since everyone gets a +15% damage buff. With stormlash, lust, PEFE, and ascendance/bersking I will straight out of the encounter burst up to 150k or so, and typically end around anywhere from 70k-100k DPS depending on the fight and how good the other DPS in the dungeon are.

I really like PE as a talent over EB and unless EB ends up taking a clear victory pull out at some time I will probably use PE most of the time. With the FE glyph it's a 3 minute CD for 36 seconds of action. While the FE and ascendance damage is not linked it does give you amazing burst to line it all up at the same time. I mean really...if we had this type of burst back on heroic spine elemental shamans would have been an extremely viable spec to bring.

The one thing I really dislike about EB is that it's simply too RNG for my taste. I may have to bite the bullet, but I really dislike that the buff is random. One of the strengths EB potentially has is that you can use it right before ascendance for extra damage. Problem is, as a troll specifically, that you have berserking for ascendance, and eventually we will gear up where haste is less effective for ascendance. This makes haste, and obviously crit, non-effective for ascendance burst meaning you need a mastery proc right before you pop ascendance to get a little bit more ascendance bang.
When you guys talk about using Primal Elementalist, do you let the elemental do its' own thang or do you use its ability that adds 5% damage for the caster?
10/07/2012 05:22 AMPosted by Kutcho
When you guys talk about using Primal Elementalist, do you let the elemental do its' own thang or do you use its ability that adds 5% damage for the caster?

Let it do its own thing. It does around 25-30k dps on its own. 5% to my own damage doesn't even come remotely close to that.
Gist copy Liax's Power Auras Import for the guide in the Addon Section...plz
I'm pretty sure that guide is like just gone now. I think it got deleted. So I doubt you can go and copy it. Could be wrong, but it didn't look like it had just been unstickied, locked, and eventually fell off.

Since I'm pretty sure I don't have to raid till Tuesday now I will work on my power auras today/tomorrow, and put out a link.

Although, I don't think I'm going to stay with the auras I used in my old guide. When playing my paladin, and lock I came up with a fairly nice set up I preferred over my shaman's with having my buffs over my portrait, and debuffs over my target portrait, with CDs having a larger aura that lit up for .5 seconds in the center of my screen when a CD came off.
Very nice, I too request a sticky!!!
10/07/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Tøns
Very nice, I too request a sticky!!!

Um...you're like 6 days late to that party.
10/07/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Liax
Since I'm pretty sure I don't have to raid till Tuesday now I will work on my power auras today/tomorrow, and put out a link.

I'll throw it up in the addons section then.
How come Luminescent Firefly Wristguards is heroic BiS over Bracers of Tempestuous Fury? When crit is below both haste/mastery, and mastery is below haste (atm)? Is it just because it's two secondary stats over one?

And the tempestuous ones allow for more flexibility with reforging in/out of hit when replacing gear.

The tempestuous fury ones are on BMAH atm and I was wondering whether or not it's worth it in the long run, or would it be better anyway because we're all still a while off from those H bosses? (Assuming if the tempestuous fury ones aren't bis as I thought they would be, they'd at least be 2nd top)
How come Luminescent Firefly Wristguards is heroic BiS over Bracers of Tempestuous Fury?

Because the list has needed updating for like a week and a half and I'm busy raiding >.>
Oh, so the tempestuous ones are bis and it's well worth buying off the BMAH? :D
Well, I raided yesterday, and probably will tonight...

I'LL GET TO IT EVENTUALLY
10/08/2012 06:44 AMPosted by Gistwiki
How come Luminescent Firefly Wristguards is heroic BiS over Bracers of Tempestuous Fury?

Because the list has needed updating for like a week and a half and I'm busy raiding >.>

Better way to balance the hit cap. It was originally BoTF but someone submitted a new gearset to simcraft that worked out slightly better which included LFW.
10/08/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Askledarea
Better way to balance the hit cap. It was originally BoTF but someone submitted a new gearset to simcraft that worked out slightly better which included LFW.

The question is will there actually BE a heroic LFW though? They're a raid BoE, and raid BoEs haven't dropped as heroic items on their own in quite some time and so far as I know there's no shard system this tier like there was in FL.
Hiiiii

So I was wondering what trinket you guys would replace if you had Relic of Yu'lon.

Mithril Wristwatch or Flashfrozen Resin Globule

Thanks!