Has Anyone Read This?

Story Forum
"To weaken the world's defenses, the Legion unleashed a horrifying new weapon: the undead Scourge. Prince Arthas Menethil of Lordaeron fought bravely to protect his lands from this dreaded enemy, but his fear and desperation led him to join forces with the Scourge's mysterious leader, the Lich King."

They couldn't have worded this better?

The way it reads makes it sound like he joined the Scourge in order to end the threat from the Scourge, which is stupid. Say he was tricked by Mal'Ganis and Nerz'hul into taking up Frostmourne and losing his soul to the very forces he sought to defeat or something along those lines. The way they have it now just sounds stupid.

EDIT: I read this on a new page Blizzard added to their site, linked below:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter4
"Prince Arthas Menethil of Lordaeron fought bravely to protect his lands from this dreaded enemy, but in the end gave up his very soul in his battle with the Lich King."
No kidding, this is extremely misleading... In no way does this sentence represents what Arthas did and why. It makes it look like he was just recruited like any other cultist when he really fighting his hardest to save everyone until his soul was ensnared by Frostmourne.
"To weaken the world's defenses, the Legion unleashed a horrifying new weapon: the undead Scourge. Prince Arthas Menethil of Lordaeron fought bravely to protect his lands from this dreaded enemy, but his fear and desperation led him to take up the cursed blade Frostmourne in Northrend, becoming a powerful agent of the Scourge and bound to the will of its mysterious leader, the Lich King."

How about that?
Crappy summaries of the past games/patches are crappy summaries.
Well wasn't he still intending on fighting the legion? And wasn't it he let us reach because he wanted to test our strength and than was going to raise us as undead to fight the legion?
I still don't get why he joined the Scourge in the first place.
09/21/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Lorelaî
Crappy summaries of the past games/patches are crappy summaries.

Hey, I thought they were pretty good.
09/21/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Celanor

Because after picking up Frostmourne and 'killing' Mal'ganis, he was driven mad by the sword's whispers. Furthermore, his soul was devoured by Frostmourne. During the several months he remained in Northrend, he was eventually turned into the Lich King's champion.
09/21/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Resileaf

Because after picking up Frostmourne and 'killing' Mal'ganis, he was driven mad by the sword's whispers. Furthermore, his soul was devoured by Frostmourne. During the several months he remained in Northrend, he was eventually turned into the Lich King's champion.

The summary should reflect that. It's not a whole lot to add and it makes Arthas's actions seem a whole lot less... Stupid.

This might be a bit nit picky but as it is now it just sounds so shabby.
I agree that the summary could have been more clear, but I don't think what is says is false.

When Arthas was faced with impossible odds, he feared for the lives of his men and the fate of his kingdom. In his desperation, he left the battle with Muradin to find Frostmourne, and then took the blade even after reading that it was cursed. So, his fear and desperation led him to join the Scourge.

It's probably difficult for someone who didn't play the game or read the book to understand. I like Threeslotbag's version better.
I agree that the summary could have been more clear, but I don't think what is says is false.

When Arthas was faced with impossible odds, he feared for the lives of his men and the fate of his kingdom. In his desperation, he left the battle with Muradin to find Frostmourne, and then took the blade even after reading that it was cursed. So, his fear and desperation led him to join the Scourge.

It's probably difficult for someone who didn't play the game or read the book to understand. I like Threeslotbag's version better.

That's all I'm saying. What they put is in essence true but you without playing the game you wouldn't have any idea how a prince defending his people ended up joining the other side to kill his people. It makes WC3, which had an awesome story, look like a very crappy story. Just one or two sentences could have conveyed that much.

I just kind of laughed when I read through it the first time.