That isn't Garrosh...

Story Forum
Garrosh condemning Krom'gar while doing something even worse doesn't really seem out-of-character at this point. He basically does whatever he thinks a warrior is supposed to do. The problem is, he has no fixed concept of that, so he's basically guided by his whims and moods.
Garrosh is too much like his father. They both received a taste of power, liked it, and wanted more, and more, and more. The consequences were not an issue. And each one feels perfectly justified in taking whatever they can if they have the power to do so.
09/24/2012 05:29 AMPosted by Aurriastraza
That's an idea I hadn't considered. He did spend time in Silverpine briefly.

I'm pretty sure she's being sarcastic, Windrunner isn't stupid. If she could just posses him then she wouldn't have him escalate the war, she mentions...like the good tactician she is...that if Theramore explodes the alliance may very well take out their rage on the Eastern Kingdoms.
09/24/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Cbredbeard
Garrosh tried the "honorable" way of taking Theramore and all it did was get a bunch of Horde killed. Then he used the bomb.
He says outright in the book that the direct attack was purely so that they could claim they survived battle with famous Alliance generals; the plan was always to use the bomb.
"Old Man Bolvar?!"

"Zoinks, mon!"
"Old Man Bolvar?!"

"Zoinks, mon!"

I nearly choked on my garlic bread. Good one.

I don't want Garrosh to have been replaced. Or even possessed. I'm even a bit leery of the Sha having more than a token influence on him in the end. I'd rather there not be any sort of moral excuse for him.
... it's a space station?

Umm, maybe not.

It's more to do with the corruption coming with power. Whiny little brat when 'leader' of the Nagrand mag'har. Arrogant !@#$% when acting as Thrall's right hand thug and lightning rod (clever of Thrall, that). Unprepared for the leadership job when given it, grew bloated on the powah, so he became easy pickings for the Sha. It was easy for them to turn him to the Dark Si... ooh, maybe the space station bit wasn't too far off after all.
i would think the same.. it would have to be Mannoroth possessing him cuz of the skull over his throne which is a dead give away..but it is in orc culture to hang your kills to show how much strength and honor you have as a orc..I don't like to compare in game characters to dictators from rl..in fact I think garrosh is doing what is best for the horde and expand our country...thrall never had the balls to do it nor go to war with the alliance that imprisoned him and had his people as slaves for entertainment..if anythging the alliances actions is like the !@#$ party..horde should had gone for all out war in the first place with alliance...this isn't peace craft its WAR craft
i fiqure as much alliance might retake lorderon and make it the sister kingdom of sw like it used to be back in the day but who knows
09/23/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Grishnac
I'd compare Garrosh to Stalin(Who was worse than Hitler in my opinion). But i'm thinking if thats the direction they are going, saying that it's an imposter i'd say it would be Mannoroth Possesing Garrosh.

I've had that same thought for awhile, blood of the father ....blood of the father. He would be an easy creature for the "Immortal" spirit of Mannoroth to possess as he shares the same blood as Grom, he who was the first to drink Mannoroths blood. Hes also wearing armor made from Mannoroths bones. He just set himself up for possession, just like Aegwynn who let her guard down against an Avatar of Sargeras.
Maybe if he had anything to do with Grom after he drank the blood, but Garrosh is as pure as the wind driven snow at least by Orc standards.
It's more to do with the corruption coming with power. Whiny little brat when 'leader' of the Nagrand mag'har. Arrogant !@#$% when acting as Thrall's right hand thug and lightning rod (clever of Thrall, that). Unprepared for the leadership job when given it, grew bloated on the powah, so he became easy pickings for the Sha. It was easy for them to turn him to the Dark Si... ooh, maybe the space station bit wasn't too far off after all.

Given his temperament, sha corruption will probably be a factor in Garrosh's downfall, but as an aggravating factor to his existing extremism, rather than an end in itself. Going by historical precedent, Meiji-era Imperial Japan's victory over Russia in 1904-05 gave it a turbo-charged national ego as well as disappointment over limited territorial gains, which both later fed into its role in WW2.

And Garrosh himself combines aspects of General Tojo (the Pearl Harbour factor), Genghis Khan (expansionism), Hitler (increasing irrationality by war's end) and Stalin (purging dissenters).
Okay, so this is how it is with Garrosh.

He was made for the sole purpose to make Thrall look better by comparisson. That's all he ever was.

He was never going to be a good character. His job was simple - !@#$ everything up, so that Green Jesus himself could descend, reclaim his title, and usher in the exact same bs that went on when he was warchief before.

Except Thrall can stand by apathetically and claim peace.

Garrosh - Nothing more than a stepping stone for Thrall's story.

I seriously doubt he was made for that purpose considering his introduction in Nagrand and then hsi character doing a 180 ever five seconds.
As someone who liked Garrosh as an evolving, learning, morally-grey character, I was disappointed by the 1-dimensional, mustache-twirling version of him we got in Tides of War. He's the bad guy in the new expansion, we know, but Blizzard hasn't really taken issue with having morally-grey villains before. Arthas and Illidan both did bad things for good reasons, and it changed them for the worse, eventually setting them down their dark road. Garrosh's father did the same thing: he drank the blood of Mannaroth the second time to save his clan from being wiped off the face of Azeroth. If you played War3, you know that in that scenario, Cenarius and his troops will run you down to the last man. Was Grom supposed to give up and let them die?

The great thing about the choices that Grom, Arthas, and Illidan made were they make you look at yourself: do you sympathize, or at least understand, their decisions? If faced with this same scenario, would you have done differently? It's these sympathies that let us believe they could, one day, be redeemed.

But we don't get that with Garrosh. All we know is he wants to take over Kalimdor, but we never explore why. Did his history as the leader of Nagrand, with their small numbers and small cut of land being constantly encroached upon, cause him to want to carve out a place for his people on Azeroth? Has he grown sick of the constant fighting and bleeding of lives caused by the Alliance and Horde sharing borders, and has decided conquest of Kalimdor will ultimately create a true and lasting peace(watch the flick "Hero" for an example of what I mean)? Was he concerned that Theramore is a huge Alliance port just a stone's throw away from Orgrimmar, which could strategically lead to an easy invasion?

It could have been any or all of these, but even though we see a lot of Garrosh in the book, we never get to see any of his motivations. As a villain, he's very....boring. Say what you want about Garrosh pre-Tides, but he was never that flat.

As much as I wish the sudden change has been brought about by some kind of outside corruption, I think the real truth is the community hates him, so Blizzard knows they need to get rid of him. They wanted Garrosh's death to be cathartic for players, not morally questionable, so they painted him the same way the players have always painted him: as a bad, bad man. It sucks for the 5 people in the world who dug Garrosh as a character, but it is what it is.

As far as his "180s," I agree there was a big shift in character between Nagrand and Northrend, but it felt more believable. He got more complicated, not less; he seemed like he felt more in his element in a large-scale war with lots of resources than clawing for survival in Nagrand. One of his main sticking points was that his father was a disgrace, and Thrall turned that belief around for him; on Azeroth, he probably got a lot of awed looks and back-patting for being's Grom son, which likely bolstered his confidence. Also, y'know, the woman who raised him wasn't dying anymore. I guess you could argue the "lol hellscreams taste power, turn into bad dudes" thing, but that's a one-dimensional excuse.
Isnt he supposed to be corrupted during the expansion?

As much as I wish the sudden change has been brought about by some kind of outside corruption, I think the real truth is the community hates him, so Blizzard knows they need to get rid of him. They wanted Garrosh's death to be cathartic for players, not morally questionable, so they painted him the same way the players have always painted him: as a bad, bad man. It sucks for the 5 people in the world who dug Garrosh as a character, but it is what it is.

Pretty much this. If the npc isn't a goody carebear like Thrall, Jaina, and Malfurion. Everyone hates them to the point that Blizz makes the character into a insane loot pinata to make everyone feel better. I hated what Garrosh was doing to the Nightelves, but from the horde standpoint I understand why he was doing what he did. This is a war. Playing around with the enemy doesn't make progress. Breaking them to submission does.
Actually, Theramore is a different situation. The Druids they blew up were completely neutral. Theramore was not. The General at Stonetalon killed innocent Tauren and Nightelves who were with the cenarion circle. Theramore was full of alliance pukes. That's why it's different.
Oh yes it is Garrosh. Do you forget his character in WotLK? He's always been prone to war mongering and violent fits of rage. If anything, this is him doing a 360 or maybe even a 540. Starts off as a whining little female dog, turns into a war mongering, violent !@#$%^, turns into a decent leader and not as war mongering, goes back to being a war mongering, violent -*!@#$.