Boyfriend Started Playing -- Need a Class

New Player Help and Guides
My boyfriend has finally been convinced to try out the game. I'm not sure what class to suggest to him to play, so I'm looking to the forums to give me a hand.

Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet?
Doesn't matter. Preference is leaning toward not having a pet due to issues multitasking.

Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor?
He doesn't really have a preference.

What have you played in other games before?
In Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition:
Wizard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger

In Skyrim:
Wizard, Fighter

Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells?
Would be cool to have healing spells, but is a person that leans toward whacking things with a stick.

Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces?
Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat?

He most definitely takes pleasure in whacking things in the face, or, as the case may be, in the foot.

Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe?
He likes knowing that the group is safe, but has a preference for damage over healing.

Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet?
He'll be leveling with me, and I'll likely be playing either a monk healer or a paladin tank.

Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already?
No, he hasn't read about them. He refuses to listen to my descriptions, as well. Though he's leaning toward a melee character.

Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history.
Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to).

He's definitely a lore person. Maybe not to the degree of reading quest text, as he's a terribly slow reader, but he enjoys the stories behind things.

Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down.
He finds worgen incredibly cool, which is his only preference.
I highly suggest warrior. Has the option to tank if he ever wants to try out and fits in with all your other responses. Warrior isn't very complicated starting out, no pets, and is all about rushing to mobs and tearing them apart. Warriors have a huge focus on their weapons, which makes me think he'll enjoy pretty much all of his skills using that big huge weapon (or 2 if he's fury). Even the way a warrior heals is through victory rush, an attacking skill. Warrior is available for worgens.

For a lot of first time players I suggest they look at the class and see if there are any cool abilities they like in addition to a class that fits them. Some of the warriors signature abilities include Bladestorm, where they spin around and attack everything around them, and Charge where they just charge straight into an enemy.

Now warrior fits into the standard archetype of a fighter character, but your boyfriend might also like a rogue, death knight, paladin, feral druid, enhance shammy, monk, which all have a lot more variances in their playstyle. If there is something he might especially like from those characters (such as druid turning into a cat) then it's possible that might fit him better. Paladin and Shammy aren't available for Worgen though.
I highly suggest warrior. Has the option to tank if he ever wants to try out and fits in with all your other responses. Warrior isn't very complicated starting out, no pets, and is all about rushing to mobs and tearing them apart. Warrior is available for worgens.

Hmm. I linked him to the thread. I await his opinion on your opinion.

His answer:

"To be honest, your suggestions are really good. Personally, I don't know much about the game, considering Rohna spends so much time trying to convince me to actually play. I will try out the classes you suggested, but I'm nervous about the idea of tanking. I'm new, and newbies tend to not get the best of lights. Thank you very much, and I wait to here more suggestions. =3 (PS. I think you suggested everything that could be suggested, but I want to hear other people's as well.)
Every new tank is nervous when they start. However starting it at lower levels will give you the experience and confidence to continue with it as things get harder. It will also be very helpful that you're leveling with someone that could give you some advice on how tanking is.

If you want to tank I highly suggest doing it as early as possible, where pretty much everyone in the group is still learning.

If tanking is something you really might want to consider doing your Warrior will be great for it. In addition, death knight, druid, monk, and paladin can also be tanks if you want to go down that route.

Just a couple notes. If you want to tank you will only be able to start queueing for dungeons at level 15, thats when the first few dungeons open up. Also if you want to make a death knight you'll have to wait a while on that. Death knights start at level 55, so they require you to have played a character to 55 first before you're allowed to make one.
I will try out the classes you suggested, but I'm nervous about the idea of tanking. I'm new, and newbies tend to not get the best of lights.

I'd assume if he'd be tanking you'd be healing him, right? That's a lot of stress off a newbie tank's back right there. He knows his healer, knows what they're capable of, and knows how much the healer is comfortable with him pulling. He can also get feedback from his healer on how he's doing pretty much instantaneously.

If he's nervous about tanking as a brand new player, run some dungeons as a damage dealer, and then if he thinks he wants to try tanking, dual spec to a tank spec at 30 and try it then. :)

If he doesn't want to tank at all, he doesn't have to! He can be dedicated DPS, or if he rolls a druid or paladin or shaman or monk, he could try healing or ranged DPS as an off-spec.

Personally, I think everyone should be a draenei paladin :), but...

I think a warrior or a rogue would suit your boyfriend well. If he doesn't want the pressure of his class being able to tank, rogue is a good choice. Druids are also fun, but you don't get to see your weapon when you're in cat or bear form, so if he's into the idea of having a cool sword or axe or dagger he's stabbing people with, he might not be as into druids.
09/24/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Honorata
I will try out the classes you suggested, but I'm nervous about the idea of tanking. I'm new, and newbies tend to not get the best of lights.

I'd assume if he'd be tanking you'd be healing him, right? That's a lot of stress off a newbie tank's back right there. He knows his healer, knows what they're capable of, and knows how much the healer is comfortable with him pulling. He can also get feedback from his healer on how he's doing pretty much instantaneously.

If he's nervous about tanking as a brand new player, run some dungeons as a damage dealer, and then if he thinks he wants to try tanking, dual spec to a tank spec at 30 and try it then. :)

If he doesn't want to tank at all, he doesn't have to! He can be dedicated DPS, or if he rolls a druid or paladin or shaman or monk, he could try healing or ranged DPS as an off-spec.

Personally, I think everyone should be a draenei paladin :), but...

I think a warrior or a rogue would suit your boyfriend well. If he doesn't want the pressure of his class being able to tank, rogue is a good choice. Druids are also fun, but you don't get to see your weapon when you're in cat or bear form, so if he's into the idea of having a cool sword or axe or dagger he's stabbing people with, he might not be as into druids.

Yeah, my suggestion to him no matter what class he picks is going to be to roll as dps until at least level 30, so he can get the hang of the game. I get the feeling that he's going to want to tank; if he was any class in real life, he would most definitely be a paladin. He's always so concerned about the safety of others, but tends to take a more hands-on approach than healing to fix whatever the problem is.

His reply:
"Thank you very much, Honorata for that useful information. I greatly appreciate it, considering i am a new player. I hope to encounter you soon. =3 PS: About the draenei paladin -- tempting /wink"
Human priest.

or

Night elf Druid.

YW!

It really isn't helping to post without giving any reasoning.
09/24/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Rohna
My boyfriend has finally been convinced to try out the game.

I first read that as "convicted" xD

09/24/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Rohna
He refuses to listen to my descriptions, as well.

Why?

09/24/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Rohna
if he was any class in real life, he would most definitely be a paladin.

I was actually thinking paladin at first, or warrior, and since you'd be playing a pally he might rather play a warrior for the same reasons Mon stated. BUT -- make sure he understands that just because he plays a class that can tank (or heal, should that ever happen), that doesn't mean he HAS to. But if someday he does decide to tank, the sooner he starts, the better, since as you probably know, endgame isn't a great time to start. And after watching you in game, he might have a go with a pally /shrug

And IMO, once he's more familiar with the game and has done the worgen zone, I'd say try the DK just for kicks, see what he thinks. Plenty of lore there!

Oh, and I haven't tried Skyrim yet, but if it's similar enough to Oblivion and Morrowind, I would think pally would probably be the closest to an ES melee fighter-type, while IIRC mages are somewhat comparable, except for having casting times for spells rather than all instant-casts -- still VERY durable though once he gets the hang of the class.
09/24/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Scoobie
I gave him the correct answer. Don't always expect the back-of-the-book to show your work for you too.

If you're going to post in this forum to help out newbies, you need to explain your answers. Just naming a class/race doesn't really explain why the poster's beau might fit with that choice. There also isn't a "correct" answer for these kinds of threads.
09/24/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Scoobie

If you're going to post in this forum to help out newbies, you need to explain your answers. Just naming a class/race doesn't really explain why the poster's beau might fit with that choice. There also isn't a "correct" answer for these kinds of threads.

If there isn't a "correct" answer, then why go into 5 pages of my own opinions?
Feel free to elaborate on my answer, in order to help the OP, rather than launching personal attacks against me.

It wasn't a personal attack, and no one knows why you posted the answer you did so we can't elaborate on your reasons. It's not your first time posting here, so you should know that detail in these threads is especially helpful :)
09/24/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Scoobie

If there isn't a "correct" answer, then why go into 5 pages of my own opinions?
Feel free to elaborate on my answer, in order to help the OP, rather than launching personal attacks against me.

I'm so confused. An opinion isn't a correct answer, that's what we're all doing here, giving opinions.
new players can tank fine...we were all in that spot at one point.

while the fear of tanking is very understandable and justified, if you want to tank, you can do it.

ranks naturally make fatal mistakes. it's in the nature of tanking.

what separaes a veteran tank from a new tank is his ability not to get hungup on such a mistake. Screwed up? got everyone killed? oh well. Next pull will try to do better.
I wouldn't recommend a Death Knight. The reason is simple:

He's not sold on the game yet and if you put too much pressure on him to play and do his homework, it's probably going to become not-fun for him.

Just let him play a dual-wielding Worgen Fury Warrior for a while and get into the swing of things. He can always build a new alt later if he feels like he wants to try something different.

As a player who was brought into this game by my own IRL best friend, I can tell you that you have to keep your excitement under control and let the newbie go at their own pace.

I drove my own friend nuts when I spent 6 months as a trial account seeing the maximum amount of content I could explore with a level 20 capped paladin. But I was having fun with it - so that's what matters, right?