CRZ and Realm Transfer Questions

General Discussion
I've been seeing this come up a lot in relation to CRZ.

There's a fair number of people who have spent a great deal of money to move to the server of their choosing, various reasons behind those choices, and the feeling that they deserve refunds for having their realm community choice that they paid real money for made moot. I know several folks who've spent hundreds of dollars to move their characters from a zone for a variety of reasons. None of them are too pleased about these changes.

There's also folks who have been or are considering realm transfers but are hesitating now due to CRZ. I fit into this category as I have a few old characters I'd love to have on WRA. I was all set to do it for my birthday, but with the introduction of CRZ I'm not sure as I will now... though I'd love to add them to my guild here. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I've also heard that realm transfers are more or less automated and don't cost Blizzard anything to do and therefore shouldn't cost anything anyway. I don't know if that's true or not. The closest I've ever personally come to a realm transfer is PTR and Beta copies nor do I don't know the tech behind server transfers.

So I thought a thread dedicated specifically to this issue might be useful. A lot of CRZ problems are already being addressed in the main threads and I'm watching that thread with interest. But clarification on this specific concern seems like a good thing.

What are your thoughts? Do you know the tech behind it? Has CRZ made server transfers moot? Is it worth it anymore? Have you moved characters and if so, how do you feel about it post-CRZ? Do you plan to move any characters now that CRZ has been implemented?
There's a fair number of people who have spent a great deal of money to move to the server of their choosing, various reasons behind those choices, and the feeling that they deserve refunds for having their realm community choice that they paid real money for made moot. I know several folks who've spent hundreds of dollars to move their characters from a zone for a variety of reasons. None of them are too pleased about these changes.

Realm communities are still there. In the main cities you have your communities. Your raiding and guilds and AH are realm communities. Going back to their old realm won't change CRZs.

09/24/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Roulette
I've also heard that realm transfers are more or less automated and don't cost Blizzard anything to do and therefore shouldn't cost anything anyway. I don't know if that's true or not. The closest I've ever personally come to a realm transfer is PTR and Beta copies nor do I don't know the tech behind server transfers.

Making transfers free would mean that everyone would just transfer all the time whenever they felt like it. I can't imagine that's be easy on the servers.

09/24/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Roulette
What are your thoughts? Do you know the tech behind it? Has CRZ made server transfers moot? Is it worth it anymore? Have you moved characters and if so, how do you feel about it post-CRZ? Do you plan to move any characters now that CRZ has been implemented?

I transferred after CRZs were implemented and I don't regret a second of it. The community is better where I am. The population is better where I am. This is not affected by CRZs.
Thanks for your feedback!

I disagree about people just transferring all the time though if there were other sorts of restraints implemented.

I do find though that CRZs have changed the meaning of realm transfers and community for those who moved to escape harassment after reporting and circumventing /ignore didn't work. To them, they talk about it like a betrayal of sorts and that their decision was made moot.

I didn't mean to imply that they wanted to go back to their old servers. They generally want their money refunded for having the old servers they were trying to escape follow them.