Ret paladin pvp tips

Paladin
I recently just started pvping at 85, and so far it's not going too well. I was hoping some people could give me some protips? Such as, what glyphs I should use, specs for ret talent tree, etc?
Since they just nerfed our damage the best strategy for Ret is to RUN AWAY when you don't have you cooldowns ready. It's all we have now.
Hide in crowds until you can farm better gear.
09/23/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Agincourt
Since they just nerfed our damage the best strategy for Ret is to RUN AWAY when you don't have you cooldowns ready. It's all we have now.

I did seem to notice that there was a lack of damage, however I thought it was just me not doing well.
09/23/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Daerikyn
I did seem to notice that there was a lack of damage, however I thought it was just me not doing well.

You don't do much damage because you have a weapon that's barely better than what you could get out of ICC at 80.
09/23/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Daerikyn

Part of it is your equipment. The rest is a damage nerf we received. Ret's now hit like a 5 year old girl
09/23/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Agincourt

they "just" nerfed our dmg? as in recently?

edit - and i'm assuming by "run away" you mean LOS, right?
Part of it is your equipment. The rest is a damage nerf we received. Ret's now hit like a 5 year old girl

Agin you need to stop replying to these threads with your misinformation. It's one thing to say those things to people who know you're wrong, but to mislead new paladins or new PVPers? It's not cool and frankly I'm tired of watching you do it.

All you do is complain about mechanics because you refuse to learn about them. You smear the ret spec by shouting "nerfed!" in every thread regardless if it's relevant to the topic. We get that you have a hard time adapting (you always have) but you know what? It's not the spec's fault you can't compete.

@OP: Your gear is really bad, especially your weapon and your trinket. You're not going to kill anything in that. Grind honor until you get some decent resil gear. Upgrade your weapon and trinkets first.

As for talents, use your upcoming honor grind to experiment with each talent. Find the ones that work best for you personally. Glyphs don't matter a whole lot but if you want an extra button to press when you're too far away to melee, try Harsh Words.
Lobster, I respect your skill and knowledge but you arent gong to bully me off the nerfed damage point. It's a fact whether you care to ignore it or not. Or damage outside of cooldowns has been significantly reduced and our burst cooldown has been increased from 2 minutes to 3.

Yes, our healing is great but our damage is so poor that I'm sick of dueling someone for 6-10 minutes waiting for cooldowns and my stun to line up. So, in any sort of world PVP or RBG we are relegated to off healing of just running away and hiding as we can not longer kill anything.

And dont tell me I'm wrong about the nerfed damage as about 100 others here have commented on the same thing
I'm not bullying anyone, I am stating a fact. Everyone thinks ret needs to be this crazy "oneshot macro" spec and they don't realize it can't be, and hasn't been in a long time.

Your problems with dueling and damage are not spec-specific. No one can accurately judge a class based soley on the last few weeks of 5.0.4, and especially through duels and world PVP. There's just too many variables.

As for waiting for cooldowns and CC to line up, that is something everyone has to do in rated play. That is how you score kills. You can pop things randomly in WPVP or random BGs and do fine, but it doesn't work so well against organized opponents who know what they're doing.

Speaking of organized, ret still shines when paired with others. Agin if you have a buddy or guildie you like to play with, you should really team up and see how well you do.

As for damage, most are basing their complaints on 5.0.4 and comparing themselves to obviously overtuned specs like shadow at lvl85. I wish they spent more time enjoying what we are instead of complaining about what we're not.
Some reasonable thoughts. What I'm upset about is that 3 weeks ago I felt competitive in RBGs and BGs. I understand that Warrior and DKs will always hit harder and I trade some of that for healing me and others.

BUT, the last 3 weeks I cant kill anything but DKs. Warlocks and Shadow Priests are burning me down in seconds. I look at the damage and I'm much less than I ever have been and my opponents are doubling my damage on average strikes. I dueled a warrior for almost 10 minutes last night and couldn't kill him. No damage, nothing would crit and he is healing more than me. I'm using all of our anti Kite talents and still my HoWs don't kill anything. Before I could actually kill opponents, now not a freakin chance.

I do arenas with everyone in my guild that need points. I have no delusions about being a 2200 Ret especially in it's current state, but I think I have 1800 talent. I just play with too many random guildies.
I'm not bullying anyone, I am stating a fact. Everyone thinks ret needs to be this crazy "oneshot macro" spec and they don't realize it can't be, and hasn't been in a long time.

Your problems with dueling and damage are not spec-specific. No one can accurately judge a class based soley on the last few weeks of 5.0.4, and especially through duels and world PVP. There's just too many variables.

As for waiting for cooldowns and CC to line up, that is something everyone has to do in rated play. That is how you score kills. You can pop things randomly in WPVP or random BGs and do fine, but it doesn't work so well against organized opponents who know what they're doing.

Speaking of organized, ret still shines when paired with others. Agin if you have a buddy or guildie you like to play with, you should really team up and see how well you do.

As for damage, most are basing their complaints on 5.0.4 and comparing themselves to obviously overtuned specs like shadow at lvl85. I wish they spent more time enjoying what we are instead of complaining about what we're not.

I don't think I could have stated that better myself.

Particularly blood elf paladins IMO.

@OP maybe try the word of glory glyphs. Also, ret can burst but that doesn't mean you need to pop all your cooldowns at once. If you take holy avenger you'll have around 4 cooldowns (assuming 1 on use trinket) that are between 1.5-3 minutes.
Ret damage is actually decent, and a bit high with wings imo. Melee specs at the moment have some piss poor damage (save rogues and ferals). But Warriors, Death Knights and Rets are doing ok damage w/o a doubt.

Ranged classes on the other hand need to be looked at (Warlocks, Shadow Priests, Balance Druids, BM hunters maybe all of them just about).
The damage isnt whats grinding my gears about Ret right now (pre pandaland) its how fast I die to casters like Shadow Priests, Frost/Fire Mages and Warlocks.... I have about 66% damage reduction with my PvP weapon equipped and it feels like Im dieing in the span of a silence or stun or fear..... I feel like im being CCed to death then killed and theres not too much i can do about it, outside of using the bubble or the trinket then theres absolutely nothing I can do. Does anyone have some good strategies against these caster types? I feel like I can hold my own in Melee though, It feels like my resilience is doing nothing to lessen magic damage at all....
09/24/2012 08:26 PMPosted by Midnightsunn
The damage isnt whats grinding my gears about Ret right now (pre pandaland) its how fast I die to casters like Shadow Priests, Frost/Fire Mages and Warlocks.... I have about 66% damage reduction with my PvP weapon equipped and it feels like Im dieing in the span of a silence or stun or fear..... I feel like im being CCed to death then killed and theres not too much i can do about it, outside of using the bubble or the trinket then theres absolutely nothing I can do. Does anyone have some good strategies against these caster types? I feel like I can hold my own in Melee though, It feels like my resilience is doing nothing to lessen magic damage at all....
I have complained about the same thing and have been told it's all my fault that casters are burning me down in seconds

So, it's all your fault, you are bad and RET is perfect now
Ret Paladins are not the only melee having issues with those casters. Warriors are, DKs are, we are, Feral? not too sure, Enhancement is, etc.

Right now Ranged is just too strong, it's not that Ret is bad (Ret is actually one of the better melees atm) it's that those Shadow Priests, Mages, Warlocks and Balance Druids are too strong.