why is my damage so terrible?

New Player Help and Guides
I feel like i'm doing everything I can, but my damage is pitiful! i've tried all three specializations and none seem to be up to par with other damage dealers. what's up?
It's because you're level 20. Classes aren't balanced below the level cap (which is now 90 as of midnight Pacific tonight!) and there are sharp slants between classes at very low levels. Casters generally get the short end of the stick until the 50's or so, when things level out a little more. Warlocks take longer to come into their own because damage-over-time abilities require a bit of ramp-up on targets. A ten second DoT on a mob that dies after three seconds won't really put out much damage compared to an instant spell that hits for as much as the full DoT would.

As long as mobs are dying faster than you, you're fine. Fret about damage output when you reach the level cap.
Hey there Oki.

This is a common thing many low players experience in dungeons. They compare their damage too much to other players who may have much better gear or have a class that does more damage early on.

Unless your group is struggling in the dungeon, no need to worry. Early on I'd say you should only focus on 2 things, understanding what gear to use (you already nailed that) and understanding how all your abilities work.

Now if we're talking about PVP thats another story. Many players in early PVP battlegrounds have heirlooms which make then much stronger early on, and classes are really imbalanced in low BGs.
09/24/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Monmonn
Now if we're talking about PVP thats another story. Many players in early PVP battlegrounds have heirlooms which make then much stronger early on, and classes are really imbalanced in low BGs.

I think this is really important to understand. I used to get really frustrated on BGs with my first character. You are mostly playing against people on alts who have been playing for a long time and have lots of money to spend on gear for their low level characters.

It's not well balanced and it's not a fair fight. Just keep leveling and you'll be able to return the favor at level 90!
For Starter Edition; We Level Capped at 20 and this makes Dungeons in orange to be hard to hit...you have to relay on healer for you to be true dps. The best thing is to keep going until you get 20 required, 25 item. Or play random and hope for something to be that. There 4 Level 1-20 to get four bags. This keep you busy with Low Level Quests.
At level 20, Warlock damage is going to suck for two reasons:

1. Monsters die before you can get your cast timer to finish
2. Monsters die before your damage-over-time spells can do much damage to the enemy.

Since Warlocks rely so heavily on DoT spells, this means that they can't even do as well as Fire Mages or Elemental Shamans who are doing more direct damage with their spells in dungeons.

The hunters and melee players will pretty-much slaughter everything before you have a chance to do anything. That's just the way it goes.

You might see better results on boss fights were the target sticks around long enough for your DoTs to tick and for you to get off a few Shadow Bolts.