Collecting, how does it count toward achievs?

Pet Battles
OK, last night I finished off Littlest Pet Shop. To save space, I then released a lot of the pets I captured but didn't actually want. My progress toward Going to Need More Leashes didn't go down.

I assumed the achievement meant to have 250 unique pets and, like tabards, it wouldn't matter if I still had the pet. But now, when capturing pets I know I've never had before, my progress with Leashes isn't going up.

I assume this means to get each collecting achievement, not only do we have to have had 250 unique pets we also have to have them currently captured. (Or it's broken).

Anyone know for sure how the collecting achievements work now? Do we have to have 250 unique pets currently in our possession, or to do we just need to have had 250 unique pets? Seems to me the only difference is how much of our pet limit we have used up.
Server's been buggy; I caught it not tracking pet families raised to ten or rare pets captured. Try relogging? That's what I had to do to get it to track again.

Since the pet limit is 500, I just keep one of everything and my journal tally doubles as my unique pet count.
Anyone know for sure how the collecting achievements work now? Do we have to have 250 unique pets currently in our possession, or to do we just need to have had 250 unique pets? Seems to me the only difference is how much of our pet limit we have used up.

You need to have 250 unique pets currently in your posession. Just like for 35 Exalted Reputations you need to have 35 currently Exalted.
Every reputation with a counter counts current items. It's just that there are only a few where you can go down. Your Honorable Kills never go down. But your quest total for Seeker does go up and down, depending on which Seasonal Quests have been reset since the last time you did them.
Makes sense, I guess. Just annoying since achievements like the safari ones don't care if we have the pets or not, only that we had them at one point.
Is anyone having issues with certain pets not being counted to having been owned like vendor pets?